Jobseekers-Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw13, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

I'm in south suburbs of chicago too, loveteaching!

been in city, suburubs, public, private and non-profit, and head start

Head Start and Chicago pays more!

have to weigh it out...teacher's retirement, hours, etc. I still think the $$ you put out for supplies and union dues reduces your salary. Wish there were more options.

some districts post salaries in district office, but not online. Salary scale based on years of experience and education. Usually Step 1, Level 1, means 1st year teacher with BA. get a little more with more college classes. Dictated by unions. Could go up if contract is scheduled for review this year.

what are the charter schools paying??

all in all, I feel there is no good or bad time to apply. Unless you are in some die-hard district where people stay forever, there is usually attrition in every grade. People get sick, have babies, don't come back, retire, and move on. You gotta trust your heart, and believe this.

So I say, apply and keep applying, until you get your dream job.

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

It depends on the district. If it is a very competative district with terrific schools, it is hard. The good news is I don't hear of a lot of closings at all and we certainly don't have the budget problem that our California friends are talking about.

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

No new postings in the districts I am searching. Good news...none of the postings have been removed either. Dreaming of my classroom...looking up activities to do with my son and thinking about what would I do if had my own class this time of year. SIGH

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2008

Awww, jw, :hugs:! We can dream together! The school I tutor at has the smallest classrooms. And I sometimes sit there while the students are working, dreaming about how I would arrange the room, but come up with problems because they are small. On the plus, they do have plenty of cabinets. I've been thinking of how I would answer interview questions, picturing myself in the interview. That's good, right? Must mean it's coming soon?!?

5. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Yes, it is good (especially if you happen to be psychic)! In my interview yesterday I got on a roll a couple of times and the course of the conversation just so happened to lead me to answering the next question from their sheet. Both interviewers said something to the effect of "and we just talked about the answer to the next question..." at least two or three times! I took it as a good sign that I was already naturally telling them the type of things they wanted to know.

Hang in there STG (and jw, lemon, and others!), I'm sure it will happen for you soon. Then we can all have a virtual party! :party:

~Briana~

6. smalltowngal

Mar 18, 2008

Briana, that is a good sign! I'm sure that you'll get this position! And sometimes my dreams have come true! So I'm crossing my fingers....

7. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Well, if I could just sort out the darn logistics of my certificate, I'd be a lot closer!!! I'm waiting to get a call back from my university's certification person to get the absolute bottom line. It's ridiculous that there is only one person in the whole university to process every single application for a teaching certificate. She is so swamped her phone actually rings straight to voice mail and then every afternoon she goes message by message calling people back. I hope she gets to me today!

~Briana~

8. smalltowngal

Mar 18, 2008

You would think they could hire someone else to help out a little bit, even if its just answering phone calls.

Have yall played around with classroom arrangement websites? I have off and on. It makes me want it that much more! And what about lessons? I know I can't do too much until I know the grade/subject I'll be teaching....and the waiting continues.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

We can dream together!

You know I was subbing at a different school the other day and I actually drew a diagram of how she had her room laid out! I've since showed it to several people. Earlier I was deciding how I might affix the basket labels to the baskets in my library. Should they be laminated and taped or laminated, hole punched, and attached with rings. Oh and the organization of center activities...don't even get me started. Can you say obsessive???!!!:woot:

Oh and I am cleaning today and adding to my treasure box bag I started last year. LOL

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

WHHAAATTTT???? Classroom arrangement websites? Do tell!

11. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Yes, STG, I haven't heard of such!

~Briana~

12. smalltowngal

Mar 18, 2008

Lemon, personally I would do the laminated, hole-punched and attached with zipcord. But that's just me. I don't plan on taking a grade that would require centers. That is a weakness I have that I don't ever see turning around for me.

I know that scholastic has one. I just googled it and searched for ones.

13. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

You got me started last night. I was thinking about the ideas I had for my classroom library and seeing what others posted. I wanted so bad to go into my storage and start arranging. I'M A FREAK!!!

And about classroom arrangement, I made one for my portfolio(using a free demo of SmartDraw 2008) and I look at it thinking about my small group activities, centers, etc.

I think all of this dreaming is good though. It keeps us on top of what we want for our classroom. If we can visualize this, it comes across in an interview.

Ooohhh...I can just taste it.:haha:

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

I know me too! I'm off to clean my kids craft and school supply cabinet. I can only imagine what goodies I find in there.:lol:

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

Same here. Didn't know that would be also something crucial. Thought most were the same. Least that is what I remembered. :confused:

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

I think with so many varieties of arrangements you can make with desks alone, P's may want to see what type of teacher you are through your classroom layout.

17. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Can I join the discussion here? I'm a bit of a wreck here in Southern California where districts are pink slipping teachers and even closing schools due to budget cuts.

I feel like I'm not targeting my job search nearly enough and feel pretty lost. I only have my intern credential for special ed. Two districts so far have told me that I would be working yesterday if my credential was in moderate to severe instead of mild to moderate. My big goal has been to work with at-risk youth but now I'm wondering if I'm being an idiot, and should just change my credentialing program to moderate to severe.

I'm not a kid, DH is supporting our family and my girls keep insisting on crazy things like food and clothing.

Would you do it- change your emphasis if you still had the option- and had a good shot at a job due to market demand?

Thanks!

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

Some questions: Do you want to work with moderate/severe? If you get your cred. in moderate/severe could you go to mild/moderate later?

If you think you would be miserable, I wouldn't do it. If you think you would still like and need the money, go for it.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

Oh I just thought it would be fun to play in an interactive site with a room arrangement.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

what grade and what area are you seeking...

maybe I can help you find a few places...

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

we should apply for her job! :lol: I am sure she is nuts by the time August rolls around!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

yes, as a sp. ed pre-k person, you honestly don't want to become moderate/severe yourself! :(

eta... I think of moderate/severe as those children in self-contained schools, not just classrooms. Behaviors including head banging, random screaming, running out the room.

I personally could not handle that all day.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

or, get a Lakeshore or Kaplan catalog, and cut and paste furniture the way people move chairs and couches around in their pretend paper houses!

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

:rofl: Of course and I could add little magnets to the back :rofl:

That was funny Master Pre-k. Now back to my cleaning :mad:

26. smalltowngal

Mar 18, 2008

Added another position to the potential jobs! That makes 10 so far!

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

It is good to have a log of all your contacts, with a copy of the job description, title, and name of contact, and date you sent in paperwork.

everyone did that, right?!

that way, when you get that call, you will sound very organized and professional when you roll out of bed, and gather your papers!

Yes, I did apply for the 4th grade teaching position at Near My House School, is this Ms. Jones?

You will have already scouted out all the neighboring schools, so you won't be in shock when they say...

"Actually, we have two openings, a new position opened up in Lake In the Mountains School, do you know where that is?"

And super job applicant you are, have already mapquested all the schools, (and you look dizzy) when you realize, it IS in the mountains! :woot:

Yes, of course! :D

Can you be there today at 1?

:crosseyed

go on and get that job, make that drive up that winding road! or down the crooked street.

remember, that may not be the job, but the principal may like you so much, she/he can recommend you to their buddy...at Near My House School! ;)

28. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Mar 18, 2008

That's the stuff I don't think I could handle, either. I think I would be happiest with mild to moderate, especially with the higher kids who just need that extra assistance/targeted teaching, etc.

The stories I've heard from classmates who are in severe classes are really overwhelming to me- especially the diaper issues with teens. I know that might be unique, but I think that's just not right for me.

I think I should likely stick with the original plan of multiple subject mild/moderate with NCLB single subject acceptance in both English and Social Studies- I should be able to pass both exams this summer with some studying.

It was just so hard to walk away from the possibility of a job.

Good luck everyone!

29. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

I am out in Kane County. I am looking for first or second grade preferrably.

30. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

Today I am hopeful. There is a family at my church. There children go to the school that is closest to my house, which happens to have a first grade opening. So I called her last night to see if she knew anyone to put in a good word. She said she knew everyone there and would go today personally to recommend they interview me. YIPPEE!!! Let's wait and see if they call. :whistle:

31. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 19, 2008

Yay! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

~Briana~

32. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

Thanks, Brianna....I need it. My only reservation is that the secretary at this school was sort of blah and dismissive when I went in on Mon. to drop off my mini-portfolio for the principle. I don't know what kind of effect my church friend will have at the school. Uck...I'm such a "Debbie Downer." Let me try this again...I HAVE A CONNECTION AT SCHOOL...YIPPEE!!!

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 19, 2008

Lol jw13! I don't want to hear any talk about feline aids!

Who cares about the blah secretary? I am sure she is that way with all the people who drop off resumes. After all, it does mean she needs to swivel her chair, get up, and walk to the principals box AND return.

34. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 19, 2008

10?!?!?! 10!!!!!! I've been able to apply for 1!!! ONE!!!! Stupid Montana with their small schools and their happy teachers!

35. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 19, 2008

I have a bad attitude today!

36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 19, 2008

What is your certification in Learner4life?

37. smalltowngal

Mar 19, 2008

Yay, jw! Sending positive thoughts your way! Its always good to know that you have some kind of connection at a school.

Learner, even though I live in a small town, there are several districts around me. One of the reasons for the big number of postings is because the district is opening a new elementary school this fall.

38. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

:(What happened?

39. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 19, 2008

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but STG I noticed that you changed your avatar and I wanted to say I like the new one! :)

~Briana~

40. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

I thought the same thing. Welcome Spring!