Jobseekers-Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw13, Mar 13, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2008

DD=dream district. It can also mean dear daughter.

2. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2008

What's funny is that when I orginally read the thread, I kept saying in my head dear daughter. It didn't make any sense to me, but that's what I kept saying in my head. :D

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 16, 2008

The postings are starting to pop-up in a couple of the districts I applied to work. Tomorrow I will be dropping into the schools to do the usual..."Hi, my name is.....is Mr. Give Me A Job in? Oh...he is in a meeting:mad:. Well thank you will you pass him my portfolio for consideration for the posting? Have a nice day"

While in my head I am saying "PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...I want to work for you. You can put at the bottom of the pay scale. I just want a job. Please put me out of my misery. I AM desperate!:D"

4. smalltowngal

Mar 16, 2008

LOL@jw! There are more postings starting to pop up around here too....just not in my DD.

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 16, 2008

My DD is beginning to post, but I would say 1/2 of them say "preferred candidate identified" on the postings. But, at least with those there are no false hopes. One other district had 1 posting in the grades I prefer. Two other districts haven't started posting yet, but they are fairly large districts, so I am assuming they will have something pop up very soon.

Do you get the feeling that you are like a tiger waiting for the kill? I feel like I stalk the websites for postings, then as soon as I see one, BAM, I'm clicking on the apply button and then planning my visit into the office.

6. smalltowngal

Mar 16, 2008

That's exactly how I fell. The school I tutor in has told me that if a position opens up, they'll interview me for the position under the assumption that I already have it. :) But I don't see that happening. My DD has two postings for grades that I'm certified in. I've already emailed the principals and dropped portfolios off to them. The district that's starting to post more is about 20 minutes away. They're opening a new elementary school in the fall plus posted 3 6th grade positions. This district I've applied to before with no good results stemming from it. Still banking on the DD coming through. *crossing fingers*

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

Ugh- I'm having a down day today. I am panicking because I see people applying to so many more districts than I am. I feel I am cutting my own throat. But I don't know how I can work in a district that is an hour away.

8. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

lemon, I wouldn't worry about that. It depends on the area. Some people live in an area where the norm is about 15 districts. If I did that I'd be traveling an hour each way. There are more districts I could probably apply to, but they are small districts that wouldn't be worth applying to because the pay is small, but the drive would take some gas. I'm having a down week! Its spring break so I know there won't be any postings nor interviews. I see all these posts about people going on interviews and I haven't heard from one district.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

No news here either. I just got back from dropping off two mini-portfolios to two schools. Of course, the principles weren't in office today. That's 0/4 so far. One of the secs. was pleasant, the other, well I think her face would crack if she smiled. The good news is the postings haven't been removed, but I haven't heard from any of the ones that I went to a few weeks ago. I feel limited too by the distance I can drive. I hear that these districts are competitive, but it's where I live. I can't drive an hour to go to a non-competitive district.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

We have spring break too and all my grand ideas to get my house taken care of...well, aren't so grand today.

Do you find that on most district websites it gives salary postings?

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

Only one of the districts I applied to had their salary schedules. I am not surprised why they are a competitive district. Their first year teachers make more than I did after six years.

The schools around me have spring break next week. I wonder if they will begin calls and interviews soon after.

12. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

All but one of the districts I applied to have their salaries posted. They are pretty much the same. A lot higher than what the school I student taught at pays! My sister said that contracts go out next week, so it should be mid-April before I start getting calls for interviews. That's a long wait! I count 9 positions that I'm certified for so far. Surely 1 in 9 isn't that bad of odds right?

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

Those are great odds...I am pming you about salaries :)

14. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

And I know there will be more postings to come once contracts come out.

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

Do you all find that you have to remind yourself that it is just the beginning? I know that many districts around me haven't posted yet or are just beginning, but I already feel frustrated that I haven't had anything happen yet.

16. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

I keep telling myself that over and over. That it's still early and there is plenty of time between now and August.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

Yes I keep telling myself that and I try not to freak out. I'm sure I'll snap out of my funk today.

18. loveteaching829

loveteaching829 Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

Jobs

Hey,
    I have applied to 27 schools and districts. I have had one "interview" so far...which really was a screening to gather a pool of candidates from which principals from the district can hire from. Here is the problem with that...they do not notify you whether you made the cut or not...how frustrating! I am currently a second year teacher looking to get out of the catholic schools "before I am sucked in too far" Man, it is such hard work to get an interview...it's a full time job all on its own. If you have any tips for me that would be awesome. How is it going for the rest of you???

19. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 17, 2008

I don't want to wait until August! I would love to have a job lined up before school gets out so that I don't have to worry about getting a summer job AND getting a professional job at the same time. Plus I would love the entire summer to prepare for my classroom.

20. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

Learner, that's my wish too. I would love to know by May so I could get my classroom organized and some general plans laid out. But I'll take anything as long as I have a job next year. :)

21. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

The districts I've looking into all show the pay scale. It's interesting to see some of the variance particularly when you have a Master's. Seems that some districts don't put too much weight on that -- at least that appears to be the message with what they offer.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2008

For some reason around here none of the districts really show their pay scale, which is frustrating. For the most part, though, you know which districts are the best paying. And you have to get your master's degree within five years of getting your certification, but I believe that having a master's usually add between one and two thousand dollars for the districts that I know about.

23. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

The district I'm looking into are not the same. I'm seeing a difference of as much as $4K!! As you guys say, I hope I'm able to find a slot in my "dd" & part of that is the extra $4K.

24. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

My DD definitely pays more than the other districts around here.

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

I find that I can see salary schedules if I click on HR rather than employement, fyi

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, when I look at district websites in other states I can usually find the salary scales, but around here they are just not normally posted online. I don't know why that is.

27. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

I know there is a website out there that allows you to look up salaries by district. Just can't remember what it is.

28. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 17, 2008

ditto... I just found one for a "1 year position only" and I'm applying for that! ANYTHING!!!

29. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

Learner & SMG-That is EXACTLY how I feel. Clearly I just want a job in my DD, but it would be such a relief to know as soon as possible to enjoy the summer & plan for the school year.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

I know. Don't you all see yourself in a room? I do. I keep thinking of how to do my room what stuff I need to start buying etc.

I hope a couple of months from now (preferably a couple of weeks) we all have jobs and are laughing about how neurotic we were!!

I am so grateful this website exists. I truly don't know what I would do if I didn't have ya'll to bounce things off of. Everyone is so supportive.:hugs:

31. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

I have dreams that I have my own class. I drive by the teacher's store and just long to go and buy something. But you are so right lemonhead, this forum makes me feel so much better. To know I am not the only one, and to get such great advice:hugs:.

32. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

I'm guilty of the same thing. I dream that I'm in my classroom, teaching a roomful of kids.

:hugs: to us all! Yall are keeping me sane right now!!

33. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 17, 2008

Well, I feel the need to jump on the room-dreaming, hugging bandwagon!!!

:hugs:

And I think we need a smiley for dreaming...

~Briana~

34. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2008

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to see if I can find the site, because I would love to know the differences in salary fo districts around here.

35. loveteaching829

loveteaching829 Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

Hey JW,
    where abouts in Illinois are you from? I am from the south suburbs of chicago. I have only had one interview so far and no news yet!!!
    Have a nice day!

36. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

I have a friend that lives in Aurora (?) & she told me recently that some of the schools in the Chicago area are closing or cutting back. I think she said something about poor performance(?) Is that true?

37. loveteaching829

loveteaching829 Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

Yes,
    Chicago is looking into closing schools and cutting back teachers. Also, there are some schools in my home town that are laying off teachers because they built new schools and the enrollment is down so they do not need as many teachers....its brutal up here!!! I have a friend from Texas and she says that its is fairly easy to get into schools down there, is that true?

38. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

I live in the west/northwest suburbs. There have been some postings open up, but no response so far. The good news is that the postings haven't been withdrawn, I spoke to one school that said they aren't interviewing yet. I imagine the next few weeks will reveal what I'm up against.

I used to work in the south suburbs. At the time it wasn't too difficult to get a position, but I'm not sure how it is now.

39. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

Currently, I am in the ACP. I will be applying for the first time, next month so I couldn't say. There are some others from Texas here that have experience in job seeking with the school system in TX who can better answer your question. I do know that there are lots of vacancies being posted in several of the ISD I've been researching as well as lots of job fairs coming up next week & in April. Texas Education Agency (TEA) claims that we will need about 82,000 teachers this year. Also, some ISD are offering sign in bonuses for teachers in math, science & bilingual. There's a big shortage in these areas.

40. smalltowngal

Mar 18, 2008

The job market in Texas is fairly easy compared to other states. There are lots of postings starting to come up and more should follow within the month. Math, science, and sped are going to be the ones needed the most. My DD is considering a raise in pay plus a signing bonus for new teachers. Crossing my fingers they are approved and I get a job here!