Jobseekers-Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw13, Mar 13, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 13, 2008

Yes I am feeling good about this week for some reason.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 13, 2008

I hope your right, lemon! ;)

3. storyh

storyh Companion

May 13, 2008

I have an interview at a school I really want on Thursday. Wish me luck!

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 13, 2008

Good luck, storyh!

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 13, 2008

My fingers are crossed for you too, jw!

6. smalltowngal

May 13, 2008

Good luck, storyh!

Good things are coming to you, cMcD and jw!! :hugs:

7. peppyteach

peppyteach Rookie

May 13, 2008

good luck to everyone on their interviews! fight the good fight. :]

8. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

May 13, 2008

Well, lemon, you're right! I just got an e-mail from the science department head at my new school and I get to teach multiple sections of oceanography! I am so excited right now! I'm going to meet with him by the end of the week and choose what textbook to order. Also, I hit the jackpot yesterday when my university advisor told me that I could go take glassware from a retired professor's lab or else it was going to be trashed. I got so many flasks, test tubes, bottles, and jars that I filled the trunk of my car! My new school is in a rural area and 70% of the students are on free and reduced lunch so I'm ecstatic that I can now do some real science in otherwise poorly-stocked labs.

So here I am to share my good vibes!!! Have a great week, everyone! :2up:

~Briana~

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 13, 2008

Awesome Briana! I am so happy for you! I was hoping you could get the oceanography class. How exciting about the glassware, too.

I just got a call back from the brand new city Athletic Center where I am trying to get a summer job. Originally (last Wednesday I think) he told me it wouldn't work out because of all the required teacher training getting in the way. I was so sad that I looked at it all again and sent him an email on MOther's Day further explaining my availability and that although I could not work mornings I could do afternoons or evenings. Well, it worked! He called and I have an interview tomorrow night at 7:30 pm.

What do you wear to a rec center interview? Please don't say suit!!!!

10. smalltowngal

May 13, 2008

That's great, Briana!! I know that you were really looking forward to that. And to get all that glassware to boot!! You've hit the lottery! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the week.

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 13, 2008

NO, not a suit:). But, something nice, like dress pants and a blouse.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 13, 2008

I need something makes me look thinner and young.

13. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 13, 2008

When you find it, let me know:D.

14. smalltowngal

May 13, 2008

:lol: Me too! :D

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 13, 2008

Seriously, do you think 45 is too old? It is a city job so I know they can't technically discriminate. I am just hoping they don't want some personal trainer looking person.

16. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

May 13, 2008

The good thing about posting on these forums is that we all get to be thin and young, right? ;) Too bad we can't interview on here as well (if we did STG would have already gotten a dozen offers...)! I don't know what to wear to a rec center interview, lemon, but I just wanted to wish you luck!

~Briana~

17. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 13, 2008

Lemon, I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. If they are looking for a personal trainer type, then they will pick who they want. But, I don't think that will be the case. Good Luck!:2up:

18. smalltowngal

May 13, 2008

Lemon-I would just wear some nice slacks and a nice blouse to this interview. Good luck!

Briana-Thank you! Wouldn't it be a lot easier if we could do that? That would be awesome! I wish I could say what I want myself to look like, and then it be that way!

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 13, 2008

LEMON:
    I was chosen as the top candidate for the transition position, but I had a nice discuss with the principal at the school about my job getting posted, and I asked for the opprotunity to interview for my position. He called me today to say he selected someone else and then told me how much he enjoyed my interview and I was an outstanding person. He also told me that he would be very honored if I would consider other positions as they came available. :)

I interviewed today in another district. It was like a serious twin of my building. All the things I love about working at my school were there: a diverse student base, lots of collaboration, desire to create a positive learning environment, and caring for the total child. I asked the third grade teacher's advice for the person filling the position and she said "I just want to tell you that you would feel very comfortable and at home here. " I really like the principal, and the teacher's I interviewed with.

They are making their decisions by the end of the week, and they have two positions open. My job comes down Thursday at 4:00pm, and they are making their decisions on Friday. Today's school was great but it's a long commute, but if I'm not offered my position....I would go there EXCITED to teach there, if I was offered a job.

I finally got my principal to open up about everything. He finally stopped be so guarded and told me he told the principal I interviewed with today that "I want to keep her. She'll give you a great interview, and you'll want her." So I'm hoping that he'll get the ball rolling on getting me back soon. My AP was very gracious and said "third grade here is your job. Stop worrying."

So Lemon, that's the story! :) I'm also going to Space Camp on Friday! YAY!

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 14, 2008

Gotcha Buck8! What an orderal for you. It's almost over. Best of luck to you.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2008

STG-I saw your picture on your website the other day, and you are beautiful!

22. smalltowngal

May 14, 2008

Thanks!

23. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 22, 2008

OK...so I really wish there was a section on this forum that I could go off using every profanity I can come up with right now.

I AM SO MAD!!! Two more positions have been removed. I am now down to three openings. Two of those openings are labeled "temporary."

I have yet to get a response from any P. I have taken the wonderful advice everyone has given me. I just want to crawl in a hole.

24. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 22, 2008

Awe, jw, I am feeling the exact same way right now. I thought I had my foot in the door with some of these places and now I'm seeing that I don't have it in far enough! I'm so frustrated!!!

25. smalltowngal

May 22, 2008

:hugs: jw and Learner! I'm still waiting around here as well.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 22, 2008

I have another 21 hours until my interview and I'm already completely tense. Gah! How do we keep doing this for school after school?

27. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 22, 2008

Take a nice bubbly bath to help with the tension... :D

28. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 23, 2008

ever thought of giving up...

or just waiting until next year? Because somehow, next year will be better, easier to get a job?
    I keep thinking about all the money I'm putting into these applications with NO interviews... do they even look at my application?
    I keep thinking about all the time put in... do they go past my cover letter?

I'm not sure I can take another look of pity when I tell my fellow teachers that I am not teaching yet, and probably won't get a teaching job next year. They know I'll be a great teacher! I care about my kids!

And, after reading another posters comments (you all know which one I'm talking about... the one that's closed now)... I'm questioning everything! Now it's "CAN I teach in a completely new area with no support system in my first year of teaching?" "Am I being selfish with what I want in my living area?" "Am I emotionally stable enough to do this on my own?"

THIS IS AWFUL!!!! Everywhere around me people are getting fabulous jobs, outside the teaching profession, with great pay and wonderful benefits! They are definately not as rewarding but at least their stable!!! I'm going to be 26 this year with no professional career on my resume!!!!

Obviously, I'm having a bad job searching day...:(

29. smalltowngal

May 23, 2008

Learner-I know how you feel. Each year I always tell myself that it will be better, that next summer I won't have to be searching for a job, that this year is the year it will finally all come together, and it just hasn't yet. But we have to remember that our timeline might differ from the one that He has planned for us.

I, too, wonder what the other applicants that are getting interviews have that I don't have, what are they doing that I'm not doing. I mean I've taken the same advice as everyone else on here, and I'm seeing jobs get snatched up here left and right, but yet, nothing for me.

30. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 23, 2008

I know I'm not alone, but I feel like I am in my social circle. All my friends just graduated from Grad School and already have jobs and really don't understand why I'm still careerless!

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

it's okay L4L...

if anyone has noticed, I have been moaning and complaining in every thread...it is a pattern...and clear vent of my frustration and anger... I am hostile and paranoid about everything and everyone!

but...it is better to do it here..than to let it slip in an interview!

I am almost twice your age, and I am determined to try to find another pre-k job, or just wait until fall and become an aide for the rest of my life!

and then get a medical billing job at night.

and after I get my masters, teach college part time.

I think school has changed...and we have been cheated because we learned how to do it one way, and they totally flipped the script.

like, we all learned how to type on IBM Selectric typewriters in high school, and now you must use a computer just to answer your phone or take attendance! You have to do so much, and so much more. We have become surrogate parents, doctors, lawyers, health instructors...even members of the clergy! :sorry: You have to have a 'moment of silence in your room every morning!

sigh... !

and by the way...I am off Monday... :unsure:

oh, that's right...I am off anyways. :|

I keep telling myself...it's almost summer. I've been unemployed over the summer before....

heavy sigh!

32. smalltowngal

May 23, 2008

Learner-I understand the frustration of having friends in the field too, and wondering why you are still not a teacher. I do have a friend that's in the same boat as me, so I do have to talk to, but she's over an hour away. Makes it hard sometimes, but that's why this forum is soooooooooo great!