Jobs in Texas

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by arteach, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TexasBuckeye

TexasBuckeye Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Did the Business Ed Praxis II transfer to Texas or do you have to take that test as well?

2. TXCoach7475

TXCoach7475 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Have to take the test as well. I am shooting for the August 2 test date. Not looking forward to 5 hours of testing. Need to take Pedagogy and Philosophy EC-12 Test as well.

3. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

Hello,

One of my friends teaches for Birdville ISD. She commented on the fact that experienced teachers were leaving due to the pay. I think that she said that once you were at the 15-20 year mark that other districts were more competitive for pay. She said that she may consider changing to another ISD if she's in the same situation.

Sheri

4. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 20, 2007

arteach, I will be working in Garland ISD next year. Garland is NE of Dallas, only about 10-15 min to downtown Dallas. The starting pay last year was 41,600; I do not know next year's yet. They are supposed to be approving the new pay scale at this evening's board meeting. From the infomation on the website, the have two available art teacher positions. www.garlandisd.net Good luck!

5. TXCoach7475

TXCoach7475 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Garland is a good District. I have had several calls from them for Spanish positions. Pay is pretty good as well.

6. fort worth gal

fort worth gal Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

I live in Ft Worth and am a career changer. I have applied to every district in the area and it looks the salarys are fairly close. And I also have had few interviews. I have had one at Northwest ISD and 3 at Keller. I haven't heard anything from the other 7 I applied to. And no job offers yet :(

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

Hi,

Are you an alternative certification candidate or did you go through a Master's program? What are you wanting to teach? I'm also a career changer and would like Pre-K, Kindergarten, or First Grade. I applied at Keller ISD, Carroll ISD, Eagle Mountain Saginaw ISD, Birdville ISD, and HEB ISD. I forgot about Northwest ISD. I just applied late last week and early this week. I sent out 24 resume packages to principals this week. I did have 1 interview last week with my son's school. I think there were tons of applicants for 1 job. There was a possibility of a 2nd job, but they wouldn't know until late last week if it would open or not. The position that they didn't know existed or not is what I wanted. Kindergarten. (It would be funny if we interviewed for the same job!)

One of my son's teachers told me today that a lot of people get hired in August because they underestimate the number of students. I know our area is doing nothing but building. So, maybe they'll be some more teachers needed by August.

Take care, Sheri

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Hello again,

Well, two hours later and I completed the Northwest ISD's application. Except my transcripts won't upload! There's always something! I emailed human resources for suggestions.

Have a good night! Sheri

9. fort worth gal

fort worth gal Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I applied to all those :). My interviews have been at Justin elem, friendship elem, freedom elem, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the 4th one :). My first choice is Eagle Mountain but I haven't heard a peep from them.

I emailed each of the principals at all of the districts I applied to.

10. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Hello,

Is is Eagle Mountain or Eagle Ridge? The new one in Heritage is Eagle Ridge. I would like that one because it's my neighborhood. It would take me 5 minutes or less to get to work. I interviewed at Lone Star. Friendship is very close, too. That's good that you had those other interviews. Have you had 2nd interviews with any of them? Take care, Sheri

11. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Hello,

After I posted I was thinking that you may have meant Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD. I was just thinking of the elementary school. Do you have a preference for what grades you want to teach?

I have 2 more ISD's to apply to. I'm just waiting on an old transcript to come in the mail. They are both kind of far away, so it's not a huge rush to apply to them. But, I don't want to lose any chances to being a teacher this year, either.

You must live somewhere near me. I'm in Keller. How about you?

Take care, Sheri

12. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

Hey, Sheri! I'm in North Richland Hills! What are the two "far away" districts you're applying to?

13. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

Hello,

They are Denton ISD and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD. I Know they aren't too far away, but I was hoping to get a little closer. I applied at the HEB ISD, but I think that I can really just drive as far as Hurst. I took my TEXES exam in Bedford. It only took 30 minutes to get there, but about an hour to get home. It's a little hard for me to judge because I've only been here since March. I'm still trying to learn my way around.

I'll be in NRH today taking my kids to NHR20. We'll be there as long as the weather holds. We have passes, so it doesn't matter how long we're there. It will get me away from the computer at least!

Sheri

14. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

SanAntonio Elem. Help

My husband will be attending St. Mary's Law School in San Antonio for the following fall (08). We are moving from florida and I could use some suggestions as far as where to Teach, Live, and help on new certification.

Thanks!

15. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

16. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 22, 2007

Hey! I live in San Antonio. I would suggest living either in NE San Antonio (281/1604 area) or North off 35 (Schertz/Cibolo area). As for where to work, I think Northeast ISD is probably the best and hardest to get into. Next, I would suggest Northside ISD (they advertised that they are looking for close to 1000 teachers for next school year. Some others are Judson, San Antonio, Alamo Heights, Universal City, and Comal. Check out this link > http://www.txteachers.org/san_antonio_map.php < The map is interactive and will take you to the ISD's website. Good Luck!!!

17. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 22, 2007

No problem arteach! Here are a couple of interactive maps for the DFW area. When you click on one, it will take you to that ISD's website.
    Dallas area > http://www.txteachers.org/dallas_map.php
    Fort Worth area > http://www.txteachers.org/ft_worth_map.php

Good luck!

18. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

no Texas certificate

Ok so how bad is it if you do not have a Texas teaching certificate but you have a reciprocal state certificate? I will go through the certification process but I have not taken the TExes test and will probably not have time this summer.

19. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

It will be harder for you to find a job because people who have a Texas Certificate will get a harder look before you get a chance.
    Of course, art is not a TAKS subject so it probably does not pertain to you as much as it would a language arts or math teacher.

In my district though, if you are not certified to teach in Texas they would not even let you attend our job fair. We have too many good teacher's looking for a job in the metroplex that they do not need alternate certified or teacher's who do not have their Texas certificate.

20. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

I have a certificate from another state. I am not an alternative certification person. What areas of certification are schools looking for now? I have just found the Texas certification website. I have to send in my transcripts and certificate. It should be done soon.

21. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

Well there is always next year.

22. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

I would not give up for this year, but understand that it is going to be tough to get a job this year...it is far from impossible though.

Areas that are really needed in the Metroplex right now are

math
    science
    language arts (H.S. only)
    Special Education
    ESL (I would get this certificate it is easy as a supplemental)

23. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

Well,

That kind of made me depressed about the Alternative Certification program job seekers. I knew that I couldn't go to the Fort Worth ISD job fair unless I was bilingual, special ed, science, or math. But, I didn't really care because at the time I hadn't taken my content exam. I am looking for a job in the Metroplex. I feel that it's pointless to go through this whole process.

My backup plan is to go through a Masters Program this fall. And perhaps substitute. I'm planning on the Master's Program either way, but I may be more aggressive in taking courses if I'm not in an elementary classroom. I suppose I can also take the Life Science test and teach Biology. I wanted to take the Health Education test, but there's no teaching positions available in that. I could probably also try special ed. I've been an aide in a special ed class before.

Well, I'm going to try to not be depressed about this situation. I know that some alternative certification candidates do get hired.

Sheri

24. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Anyone know of districts in the Houston area that are receptive to ACP candidates? I am one of those - in Special ED and EC-4 (have passed both content exams) and am looking! There seem to be lots of jobs, but.....

25. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Lisa.... cy-fair is for sure. I think Spring and Klein ISD are as well. HISD hired acp, but they also have their own acp program so I am not sure how many they hire from the outside. I know Pasadena is acp friendly.

26. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Is your degree in Biology because, from what I was aware, you have to teach for a year/get your real certification before you can start taking tests outside of your major. Also, it is to your advantage to get composite certified than life science certified. I am life science and I kept running into "we need someone to teach Biology and Chemistry." With life science you can teach environmental science, aquatic science and biology.... composite science you can teach biology, chemistry and physics.

I'm Post-bacc (which is similar to an ACP) and I found a job in McKinney. You just have to apply regardless if they say they want you or not. Apply, email principals and call until you find a job. Time is running out for this semester, but start looking again in Dec./Jan.

27. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

When looking for positions (for example with HISD or other school districts) they say just to apply and they will call you - does anyone suggest also e-mailing the principal of the school to let them know you have applied? Or do they automatically get forwarded the resumes and applications?

Thanks -

Lisa

28. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I've always called the principals after my application file was complete at the central office. In fact, in order to get hired at my current district, I called my former principal every week for about six weeks. The way I understand it, all of the applications go into a file at central office, and when prinicpals need to fill a certain position, they can access it. Think about it...hundreds, maybe thousands, of files to wade through...if you've established some sort of personal contact with him/her, won't your name be likely to stand out? Maybe he/she would even seek out your file in particular?

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2007

I grew up in Hillsboro!! The art teacher just retired and was my art teacher more than 10 years ago..It's an okay district. I did my student teaching there. You lucked out b/c the principal at the elementary level was not the best, but they have a pretty good one now. As for their pay, they start out I believe at 29000. We moved to a town of similar size and their first year teachers make 40000. Good luck with the job hunt! Let us know what happens!!

30. meedymayes

meedymayes Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

has anyone here applied in spring or is currently working in spring? i was wondering if you could help me. i was told by spring isd that there was one application to fill out online that would be for jobs acroos the district but that is not the case when i go online i have to fill out an application for the positions that are currently available. not just one that is on file for all schools to look at . Can you let me know what you did to apply or post your availabilty for schools to find you when positions open up.

31. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Sep 21, 2007

I have an interview with Young Learners - a charter school in Houston - looks to be an interesting program for pre-K children. Anyone have any interviewing tips for a Pre-K position?

32. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I must disagree. I taught in Garland for 12 years and couldn't be happier to be out.
    "Choice of School" is killing Garland ISD. The students/parents are choosing where they will go to school and creating greater economic and racial segregation than was present when the court ordered them to desegregate 40 years ago.
    I like to call it "DISD lite".

33. TeacherGirl11

TeacherGirl11 Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

I moved to San Antonio in June, applied to the dozen school districts in the area... and no teaching job! To the poster who mentioned Northside ISD, I applied there, thinking since I did my student teaching there a few yrs ago I'd be ahead of the competition... but nope. You need a district interview before you can interview with the principals... and I couldn't even get in the district interviews! :( Is June too late in the hiring process? When should I start applying for the 2008-09 school year?

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2007

TeacherGirl, I am going to start around the beginning of March by sending out resume packets to the different schools around where I live. March is typically when the start looking at teachers who aren't going to contracts renewed, later in March contracts go out to be signed and they'll sometimes know then what positions they'll need. Of course, there are teachers who leave in December so you could even apply right now in the hopes of a teacher leaving midyear.