Jobs in No Cal

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Luv2teach12, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Luv2teach12

Luv2teach12 New Member

Apr 27, 2015

I'm considering moving from So Cal to Northern Cal. I'm wondering what the job market is like. Here in So Cal it's really bad. How's it up there? I also notice the pay scales are considerably less than what I make now.

3. cozycat

cozycat Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

I currently live in Southern California, but job hunted up in Northern California. I just got a job up there for then 2015-2016 school year last Friday after hunting for a few weeks. I have no clue what the market is like down here in Southern California because I did not really focus my search in this area. However, I can speak to the job market in Northern California somewhat. There are definitely jobs to be had, but some districts still aren't sure who is coming back and who is switching grades/schools etc (at least this was the case last week when I went to a job fair).

Everyone referred me to EdJoin and told me to be prepared to apply the second I saw anything posted for their district.

I don't know what you are making now, but for a new teacher, many of the districts were paying higher than what I would have made in my local district.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 27, 2015

It depends what area of southern CA you're in, as well as what area of northern CA you're talking about.

I moved from southern to northern CA last summer. I taught for 2 years down there first. I think that in general the job market is better up here. You're right, the pay is generally less up here, but so is the cost of living...unless you are talking about the Bay Area. I've noticed that many districts in the Bay Area don't pay NEARLY enough to afford the COL there.

I don't really want to give my specific region here, but PM me if you'd like.

I will say, I'm much happier up here. I was very tired of southern CA for many, many reasons. The only thing I miss (besides friends and family) is Disneyland. ;)