Jobs in Illinois?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LUCHopefulTeach, Feb 22, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Feb 22, 2011

Does anyone know of any jobs or areas that are opening in Illinois? Especially 3rd-8th.

I graduate in May and will be able to teach K-9, middle school endorsements in Math and Science. Since I finished student teaching in December I've been applying to schools constantly- even schools up to 5 hours away from where I live (Suburban Cook County). So far, I've only heard back from one school in Iroquois County and have an interview lined up for next month with them which is a whole other story.

I believed that getting both my endorsements in math and science would make me more marketable but in this job market I haven't noticed any real value- besides the fact that I love math and science and want to teach math or science.

I know the states around Illinois are not in much better shape and transferring certificates would be a nightmare.

I received a couple of phone calls in January from CPS schools that wanted me for a mid-year contract or maternity position and didn't read my resume correctly so I'm hopeful but not very.

Are there any teachers in Illinois who could offer advice or insight about landing a teaching job in Illinois?

3. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Feb 22, 2011

I live in Iroquois county. You should message me the name of the school.

I work in a small town in vermillion county. The pickings were rough everywhere, I found my job on pure luck. I would consider emailing principals or even trying to hand drop your resume. I think we should be having a opening at my school for math and science middle school. I will let u know of I hear anything about it.

4. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Feb 22, 2011

The reality is that the majority of positions you would find are likely to be in the Chicagoland area, so you may need to consider a move. Try CPS, Cook and surrounding counties (like DuPage, Lake, Kane, Will).

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Feb 23, 2011

I live in Suburban Cook County and have been applying to the Chicagoland area but most schools are going through budget cuts and are not hiring new teachers or are reducing staff as is. CPS alone laid off 7,000+ teachers last school year and those teachers in their contract have a 2 years right to recall. I still applied to CPS but that is a shot in the dark unless Illinois gets a mass amount of money for education.

6. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Feb 23, 2011

I am looking as well in Chicago-land. Nothing so far!

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 24, 2011

Good luck! JOb hunting in IL is hard!!

The more certifications or endorsements you have, the better off you'll be, because it gives you more options.

8. strassy

strassy Rookie

Apr 2, 2011

this thread is of interest to myself as well. I graduated last year in Illinois and took a job out of state. I'm bored in my new state, and teachers in Illinois are treated much better than they are here. However, the problem is finding a job in Illinois. I have applied to 15 or so schools so far, and haven't heard so much as a "no thanks" to this point.

I read an article saying that this year, 66% of IL schools would be cutting jobs as opposed to 49% last year. As much as I want to go back, I'm wondering if I should stick it out here a few years and wait out the budget crisis in Illinois.

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 2, 2011

Strassy- I've applied to 70+ districts so far for the upcoming year! :dizzy:

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 2, 2011

We had some layoffs and some threats for layoffs- but there is no way in heck we laid off 7,000 teachers! Also I don't think it is true about our contract giving you 2 years to get your job back. There are a lot of false rumors going on. I am not at my house now, but I will look through the contract when I get home. CPS does have a policy for displaced teachers, but more they become subs. Actually you can look up our contract online at ctunet.com I think. Additionally be sure to check the e bulletin every Wednesday and know that math and science are currently considered high needs, so you can get a waiver on the residency requirement, but they can end the waivers at any time.z0

11. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 3, 2011

I know that the two year right to recall is not a myth or rumor. My fiance and cousin were both laid off- one outside of CPS and one in CPS- and they both have a two year right to recall.

12. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Apr 3, 2011

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 3, 2011

I have a demo lesson and interview tomorrow. *BARF* Send good thoughts around 11:45am! I feel like this is my only shot with all the competition. :eek:

14. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 3, 2011

Congrats on your interview Four! I am envious of your luck, but I hope you get the job!!

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 3, 2011

I can't speak to outside of CPS. Within CPS you are guaranteed the right to be a CADRE (a substitute with a few extra benefits).

In addition we are still as far as I know (there were talks of changes) a principal driven hiring district and you are assigned for lack of a better term "property of the school" new schools and schools add positions each year depending on population shifts. So a teacher laid off from x,y,z school has no more rights to a job at a,b,c school than any other person going for the job.

Directly from our current contract:
    (The capitals were already in there I didn't capitalize anything).
    Section 10 - Layoff
    If a tenured teacher is unable to secure a permanent appointment during the required period in the reassignment pool, the tenured teacher shall be laid off and given an honorable termination from service and the opportunity to be placed as a Cadre substitute in accordance with the AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE CITY OF CHICAGO AND CHICAGO TEACHERS UNION, LOCAL NO. 1, AMERICAN FEDERATION OF TEACHERS, AFL-CIO. When a layoff is required, the tenured teacher shall be notified at least fourteen days in advance of the date the layoff is to take effect. A tenured teacher who is honorably terminated and is placed as a Cadre substitute immediately following his or her honorable termination shall be afforded the opportunity to maintain his or her health benefits at the same level and on the same terms and conditions as he or she had as a tenured teacher for a period of twelve calendar months following his or her honorable termination.
    Section 11 - Recall
    If after the required time in the reassigned teacher pool, the tenured teacher has not been appointed to a permanent position, he or she will be honorably terminated from service. If within two years after an honorable termination the tenured teacher is appointed by a principal to a permanent position, tenure and prior seniority will be restored to the tenured teacher as of that date.

16. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 3, 2011

Then my cousin must not have fully understood what her recall truly meant.

I've been looking at the vacancy list but it seems as if every position says current. Do you know when they will post vacancies for the upcoming school year?

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 3, 2011

Are you looking at the vacancy list or the e-bulletin?

As far as I know the only thing you can believe is the E-bulletin- it is updated every Wednesday and I have seen jobs for current and next year already listed.

You maybe particularly interested to know an brand new school in the UIC area is about to open with a Math/Science/Technology focus- however, the first year I believe it is only going to be K-2.

18. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Apr 4, 2011

Well, I suppose I can provide some alternative insight here. While most folks seem to focus on the Chicagoland area, if you're willing to move elsewhere in the state, I honestly believe your chances could be better. While I was indeed looking for work before the budget crisis existed, my content area has always been over-saturated with teachers (Social Studies), and I also don't coach anything.

That said, I was able to find a job immediately after graduating. But not near my home town.... at all. I had to move to west-central Illinois, approximately five hours from Chicago. But, I got a job, and to be honest, am fairly happy with it. Living out in "the country" took some adjustment, but I was never one for the major night life of the city anyway. I had MUCH better luck landing interviews, and ultimately a job, when I started looking OUTSIDE Chicagoland.