Jobs for wiggly kids

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Jan 22, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 22, 2020

I have a boy in my class who clearly needs to be kept busy. He’s a good kid one on one but he’s doing things like scribbling on his desk with a pencil (I make him get wet wipes and scrub it clean each time, which to his credit he never argues about) and he’s constantly tipping his desk and chair into precarious positions. He really likes to help and is actually very responsible when given a task, so I’m wondering if anyone has tips or suggestions for jobs he can quietly do while he’s in class. Fidgets do not work, he’ll throw them or tap them on his desk.

Currently he helps with:
    Delivering notes to other teachers
    Organizing book shelves and ipads - he’s good at this but only if no one else is near him; if he’s in the library area with other kids around, he gets loud quickly.

Ideas for other little jobs he can do? Maybe wiping clean my class set of whiteboards? Organizing paperclips? He is more focused and less disruptive when he’s multitasking. He’s already in an “island” seat both by his choice and my agreement that it’s a good place for him.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jan 24, 2020

Organizing a deck of cards or pretend money to be facing the same direction? And by suit?

Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Jan 24, 2020

This doesn't need doing regularly, but I do let one of my very active students organize my art supplies when needed. He sorts through the colored pencils and crayons and gets rid of any broken beyond use ones, neatens stacks of construction paper, tests my markers for any that are out of ink, etc.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 24, 2020

If you trust him enough, I sometimes have my wiggly kids check the dry erase markers for those on their deathbeds.

Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2020

:yeahthat:
    Awesome! Wouldn't have thought of it, but it has learning built into it as well as requiring attention.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Jan 24, 2020

Laughing at paper clips! ;) I was thinking away and you already thought of everything I could think of!
    Oh, I did think of a couple more. When kids are absent can he clean out their desks? Also, he could put together the make up work folder.

8. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jan 24, 2020

Could the kid organise books or papers or assessments alphabetically?