jobs for kids?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SpecialPreskoo, Jul 17, 2011.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 17, 2011

What "jobs" do you have for your preschoolers? I have special needs ones, too. Looking for some ideas!

THANKS!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 17, 2011

Line Leader
    Caboose
    Door Holder
    White Board Eraser(if your boards are low enough)
    Cleaner for snack time ~ We use baby wipes to clean tables
    Center Monitor ~ Makes sure all centers have been picked up
    Water fountain Monitor ~ counts slowly to 5 while students get water

That is off the top of my head...

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 17, 2011

In addition to those jobs listed above we wash shelves, and water plants. We also have a child that collects the dried painting pile and places then in the cubbies by reading the "preschool writing". So when "Bobby" writes his version of a B on the paper and that is the stage we are at, the child with the job knows that and places the painting in Bobby's box. It is probably the hardest job in the room.

5. abcme

abcme Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

Calendar and weather helper, flag holder, blessing leader, snack helper... I recruit "floor supervisors" to help check the floors are clean after activities- these would be children who are not actively helping clean up. I make it sound the really cool, important job!

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2011

We have children who are the zipper helpers for when we go outside and others who are the "shoe tying helpers". Those are the kids I am certain know how to tie their shoes.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 18, 2011

Door holders.....but we also have opportunities for door openers. These are the children with enough understanding of how a door works to be at the front of a group and be responsible for opening the door. They are also the children we send as "buddies" for other children on the way to find tools, ask questions, get teachers and so on.

8. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

My Jobs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My jobs are(I have 3's and 4's):
    Calendar (adds the calendar number each day)
    Days in School (adds one straw for each day we are in school)
    Weather (puts the weather picture on the graph)
    Wish you Well Helper (puts the picture/name of any child absent on the heart)
    Cart Helper (pushes the breakfast/lunch cart back to the kitchen)
    Garbage Helper (carries the tied garbage bag outside the door for our custodain to pick up)
    Apron Helper (wears the greeting apron and give each child a hug, handshake, high five, or smile)
    Substutute (does the job of anyone who is absent)
    Mail Helper (puts any outgoing papers-newletters, book orders etc-into each child's mail box)
    Button Pusher (pushes the botton to open the door out to the play ground)
    I love you rituals helps (choose an I love you ritual for the class to do that day)
    Coins helper (picks up the coins (what each child uses to indicate what center they are working in) at center time)
    Vaccum helper (runs the carpet sweeper after breakfast/lunch)
    Milk bucket helper (brings over the bucket that we empty our milk cartoons into if we don't drink it all before clearing)
    Spoon helper (carries the spoon container to each child to collect their spoon after lunch)

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Oh, I love the apron helper. What a sweet thing to do each day.

10. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

I gradually moved away from having choosing job helpers to having a Leader of the Day. This person was responsible for getting all the jobs done in the room. They chose helpers to complete the tasks. It gave the Leader of the Day a chance to develop leadership skills and to practice them. I just had a sign posted that said Leader of the Day and kids walked in to see the name posted each morning. Moving job helpers out of morning circle time gave me time to discuss the concept of "leadership skills" during group meetings.

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

LOVE this idea, simply because one student is easy to remember then all 16!! :dizzy: It can get ugly if you allow someone to do something 2 x's! :|

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 24, 2011

That does sounds like a better plan!

13. PrekTeach397

PrekTeach397 New Member

Aug 1, 2011

Hi, I'm a new teacher. At what point in the school year do you introduce the job chart?

14. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I introduce one job each day until all the jobs have been added. I start the second week of school.

I do have a chore chart, but I'm not sure how to use it this year. Some of the jobs we really didn't get to most days. We would run out of time before the housekeeper could use the sweeper. I'm tempted to take these jobs off the chart.

Do you guys usually have a job for everyone? I don't want to have just one or 2 without a job, but if there were 3 or 4 without I think that would feel ok.

And to answer the OP -- the chores we have are

Line Leader
    Mathematician
    Housekeeping
    Plant Tender
    Caboose
    Teacher's Helper

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

I usually have either a "teacher helper" or 'messenger." Their job is to go with me or a TA for whatever errand needs to be done... notes to the office, get something from another room, get another box of gloves from the nurse, return library books, etc. It is their FAVORITE job. (It's also a handy way to force my quiet/nonverbal kids to communicate... because they HAVE to ask for whatever it is, or say thanks, or whatever. I give them a bigmac or something when necessary.)

16. grover1

grover1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I also ask my class what other jobs they can think of that I may have missed and that way they feel like they are part of it. One of my fav that the class came up with was door holder for the teachers . They also said they wanted to have a cubby checker to make sure all stuff is not on the floor.

17. Minda

Minda New Member

Aug 9, 2011

We have an exercise leader, book holder (the sign in book when we go outside), backpack holder (the first aid pack when we go outside), Plus the cuddle bug. The cuddle bug isn't a job per se but has the privledge of sitting with the teacher during story.

18. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 11, 2011

Some of the jobs I had last year for my 4 year old class were the teacher(person in charge of doing the calendar and learning wall), water bottle person(passes out water bottles), Water bottle filler(filled up all water bottles), trash cleaner, person to push in chairs, a person to pass out nap mats, person to fix and sort all glues and pencils, person to turn the light on and off, person to close the door. They all worked really well, I won'd introduce the jobs to my three year olds this year till about the second week

19. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I have a job for every child in the classroom. I feel it helps with the idea of, "youre an important part of our community and we all miss you when youre gone". We have a chart, and we simply rotate every every Monday. In addition to the jobs mentioned, we also have...
    Bell Ringer (we have a little bell to tap to get everyone's attention)
    Substitute who does the job of absent children
    Schedule helper, to flip over the schedule cards when things are completed
    Name Caller (in HS we take attendance after every transition)
    Vacation! I have two jobs where kdis essientiall don't have a job... it's a photo of a tropical island, and they are on vacation. Funny, when a child's name is announced to be on vacation, there is almost always a, "yeesssssss"!