Jobs are still out there

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BioAngel, Aug 12, 2010.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 12, 2010

I just wanted to offer some hope from those who feel like they should give up. Two days ago I randomly got an e-mail for an interview at a charter school in a large city near by. And I know many schools have already started or will be starting very soon, but positions are still out there!

So have hope, keep looking, and I wish you all the best--- there are some very valuable tips in this forum. :love:

3. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Congrats on landing the interview! And thanks for the encouragement.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

It is so wonderful to come on to atoz and just find all of this goodwill and encouragement and everyone cheering everyone else onward! Thanks! Such a great place!

5. Michelle88702

Michelle88702 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Threads like this keep me positive and encouraged! Thanks!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

As of yesterday, the day new teacher orientation started, there were 76 openings in a local district. There are definitely jobs still open!

7. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Aug 12, 2010

I get calls almost every day. There are jobs out there.

8. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

So true, I was just hired for a job that opened last week plus I had two more interviews lined up for next week. Keep at it every one and try not to feel discouraged.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2010

We all know how hard the job hunting can be. Going on an interview and feeling the excitement of the chance of finding a job and then, getting the let down of not getting the position can be quite disheartening. But the ultimate goal of winning that job is so worth the work and a little misery.

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Best of luck and keep your heads up. I just found 3 jobs listed near me (I live in the middle of nowehere too) and school starts next week. Alot of enrollment numbers are coming in and they need more classrooms. This is the time to shine so get out there and do your best :)

11. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Yes my top choice district has many openings. I turned down an interview because of my medical condition, but I am so tempted to apply for this Intervention Teacher position.
    From my understanding and research I think an Intervention position would be better for me at this point.
    I really want to apply but I think my family might be against it.
    I go to the doctor Thursday and what he says will influence my decision.
    Our finances are ruined, I need to work! But I won't make it the entire year as I will have the medical procedure done in March 2011 and I can fully recover in a few weeks.

I'm confused right now...

12. BioAngel

Aug 16, 2010

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues, webmistress, and I hope the doctor has some good news for you that will allow you to return to teaching. My first year of teaching I got a horrible lung and sinus infection and I was sick for a month+ and it was just hell--- I felt like I was letting down the school, the students because of how sick I was, so I tried my best to come in as many days as possible, even if I was running a fever.

I just did a science teacher job search at the independent schools site I go to (just to look) and I found at least 5 more positions around my area. I recommend that teachers do try independent schools instead of just focusing on public schools-- at least you'll have a teaching position (every bit of experience helps!).

GOOD LUCK to you all and I'm remembering the teachers who are here and still looking in my prayers. :)

13. deeteach

deeteach New Member

Aug 18, 2010

Yes, I agree. Things are getting better and you should soon see more opportunities. Be positive and keep applying and you will soon land a job. I recently found a job through a site (123CareerChanger). If you are looking for a job in California, check this site.

Good luck!
    --

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 18, 2010

A local district still has 50 openings updated as of yesterday and the kids come back today. There are still jobs! And think of all of those (hopefully) amazing long-term sub who get those jobs for now!

15. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

I just applied to a job that was posted today--a full-time permanent one. And I turned down 2 interviews yesterday because of distance so there are definitely jobs out there!

16. shouts

shouts Companion

Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, I went to an interview today (call out of the blue, I hadn't done anything since June, and I'd started a new career).

They loved me, and asked if I be interested in a job that hadn't even been posted yet (!)

Nothing like waiting til the last minute. Guess I'll wait it out... :whistle:

17. BioAngel

Aug 18, 2010

That's great news Shouts!!! Especially since you're in NJ and I know there have been a ton of cuts in funding (not like Jersey has money to spend anyways).

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

Thank you. I decided I won't apply. It's too risky.
    Next year though! :)

19. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

Thanks for the encouragement. I went on three interviews last week and needless to say I didn't get any of the positions. :( I got a call yesterday for an interview today in second grade. I'm on pins and needles right now waiting to find out. I'm praying this is the right fit for me! I've started preparing things already just in case, I will find out tomorrow.