Jobs and your children

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by milteachwife, May 9, 2010.

1. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

May 9, 2010

Job seekers, currently employed teachers, and administrators/supervisors, do your children attend school where you work? Are you by-passing your neighborhood school to take your children to the private school that employs you or the charter school where you landed a job? How does this impact the educational experience for your child(ren)? Public school employees does your district support the practice of accomodating teachers and thier children in the same school? Is this something to strive for or avoid entirely? What does it say when teachers avoid sending their own children to their place of employment?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

My husband and I both teach in local Catholic high schools.

Our kids attend local public elementary/ middle schools.

I would LOVE for my kids to attend the schools where we teach. Unfortunately, it's roughly $8,000 per child per year, and we simply do not have that money.

So, unless we receive some unforseen windfall in the next 2 years, our kids will continue to attend public school. I see it as a statement of pure economics.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

My daughter is in kindergarten this year and I teach in the middle school where she will attend when she hits sixth grade. I know alot of our teachers whose students go to school where they teach. Our district is very family friendly so this practice is not unheard of.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

The children of our teachers only attend our school if they are within our boundaries or if they have special superintendant permission to attend a special program (like French Immersion) that isn't offered at their neighbourhood school. This permission can be granted as long as there is space--some of our classes are going to be quite large so we can't accept transfer students.

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 9, 2010

My older children are nearly grown (ages 16-21). However, my youngest is in 3rd grade and we have done it both ways (same school, different schools).

Currently, she is attending school in our neighborhood and I'm at a school about 25 minutes away. I don't think it sends any kind of message and I've enjoyed many aspects of both options (having her with me or letting her have her independence). Pros and cons to anything, I guess.

7. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 9, 2010

I have taught in two different school districts in different states, and I have always had my kids attend the schools that I worked at. I think there are many school districts that do allow for employees' kids to attend the same school. For us, it has always just been easier than having to arrange my husband's work schedule or find someone else to pick up the kids. I can't complain either though, since the two schools I have worked at have been awesome schools. Now that we have moved to a new state, I am only subbing, and my kids attend our neighborhood school. My kids still continue to do well. In fact my two older ones were just commended for their state test scores. I have always believed though that a good school only contributes to part of the success of students and that parent participation can make a great difference towards a child's schooling.

8. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

May 9, 2010

Fair enough. Sweet actually, now here's some spice. I'm moving to Fairfax County, VA. It is pretty big, but the economy is bad. I don't know just how available teaching jobs will be especially elementary. However, there may be a few DC public schools (charter too!) that have both jobs and publically funded preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. Now I know DC schools are ranked extremely low, but paying for preschool/daycare for 2 children and aftercare for my 1st and 2nd grader nearly negates working at all. I need a compromise that supports working as a teacher and my own children's needs. I plan to send my 1st and 2nd grader to our neighborhood school in VA. If I'm working in DC I'll definitely need aftercare for the older kids in VA. What are the negatives you see to bringing my own children to school with me (if the district lets me and I get a job in DC)? Do DC teacher bring their children to work with them? Are the teachers all choosing private schools, or their own neighborhood schools in area outside of the DC school zones? I've read about the new Ms. Rhee. She sounds interesting. I think positive changes are on the horizon for the public schools in DC. What do I need to know about inner city schools, teaching, and my own children? For me, it doesn't matter the race, wealth, or class of my students. I want to teach. My youngest is 2; only time or a significant tuition discount will allow me teach anywhere before she enters kindergarten. BTW, VA doesn’t offer pre-k for all 4 year olds and definitely not 3 year olds preschool.

9. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 9, 2010

I can't answer your questions about dc schools as I have not taught in dc. However, at the other schools I have taught at, other teachers did bring their kids to the same school they taught at, and my administrators were always very supportive of this. I sometimes felt that the teachers tended to look out for my kids more when they knew that I worked at the school too, and it was much easier for me to remember the children's school activities and things that happened at the school because I was there and was always informed of the events. In addition, because I knew the school curriculum (and the teachers) at each grade level better, it was much easier for me to help my kids with their work and anticipate for the next year. The only negative that I encountered was that when I did have after school meetings, my kids were left by themselves. The meetings usually never lasted more than an hour at the most, and when they did run a bit long, I would just come back to peek in the room and make sure they were okay. It was a little tough when my kids were in the younger grades. However, sometimes other teachers would help watch over my kids while I was in my meetings, and on days we had all staff meetings, some of the older kids helped play with and look after the younger kids. One thing I always did was set rules for my kids so that they knew what they could and could not do while I was in a meeting. If this is something that you want to do, I would research the district before applying and ask around to see how the district feels about having your kids attend the same school. I hope this helps, and good luck in your job search!

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 9, 2010

In every place I've worked, bringing your children to school with you was acceptable and encouraged...only if you lived in the district. We have a large district (78 elementary schools) that covers a large geographic area. We live in the county where I teach. My kids should go to school in our neighborhood, but they come with me to my school, about 15 miles away, but still in the same county. If we moved to another county, I'd have to pay tuition to keep them there with me.

I doubt you'll find that you're allowed to bring kids to DC schools while living in VA.

Kim

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 10, 2010

I teach at a private school and take my son there with me. I am very lucky in that I get tuition remission that enables me to send him there. If it weren't for that, he might not be there and I'm not sure I would stay working here. I can make a LOT more money in a public school.