Jobs and Relationships

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzybri14, Oct 22, 2007.

1. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 22, 2007

Ok so this may be a bit long winded, but I could use some advice. I am currently cert. PreK-3 in Ohio, but teaching in NC. I hate NC and want to move back to Ohio. Anyway my b/f may have an opportunity for a job in Ohio making 40,000 a year. Needless to say I will have to make a decision to either stay here and have a steady teaching job, or move back to Ohio (where I want to be) and most likely not have a steady teaching job. My b/f and I have been together for about a year and a half now, and I just don't know if I should give up a steady job and move back or consider the possibility of going back to school (which I want to do anyways) and be a sub. I know that this is ultimately my decision, but I would like to hear some opinions. This is an amazing opportunity for him, and we both want to be back in Ohio. I just don't think I can rely on trying to find a teaching job in Ohio so that I can move back. Also, how do you think leaving in the middle of the year will hurt/hinder me finding a job in Ohio? My principal knows that I have been searching in Ohio so that wouldn't be a surprise to her, which I think is a plus (not springing it on her at the last min.). :unsure:

3. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Oct 22, 2007

I think it sounds like that moving back to OH is what u really want and I see nothing wrong with it.

What I do see wrong is that you are wanting to leave in the middle of the school year. I personally have a problem with teachers doing it, maybe it's because you have signed a contract for a year and when you leave and break that contract (imo) ur word is not good. If I was an administrator, that would be one of the first things I would check out from a potential employee to make sure you don't have a history of doing that and I wouldn't have to worry about u doing again to me. AND that doesn't even count what u are doing to the kids & their parents who are depending on u.

4. glenn

glenn Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

I would finish out the school year. It will be hard to find a teaching job in OH (other people have posted about it in this forum). Leaving mid-year just decreases your chances.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

I agree with the other posters that say stick it out for the remainder of this year. Start looking in OH around March, and hopefully something will come up. If your b/f has to go back to OH in a few weeks to start this new job, it will be hard to be separated from him I'm sure, but it will work out of yall in the long run.

6. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 22, 2007

Thanks all~ I have been thinking a lot about this, and I think that no matter what I will stick it out the rest of this year. I would hate leaving my lil darlings. I have a really good class, and I would hate to see them not get the best (they would most likely have a sub for the remainder of the year). Everything is still up in the air as far as the b/f's job opportunity so we'll see what happens.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2007

It sounds like Ohio is a difficult state in which to find a job, much like we have in PA. However, I would think that a year of experience would help your job hunt. But stick it out so your principal is willing to write a glowing recommendation. I doubt she would do that if you leave mid year.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007