job was canceled, then refilled

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by 99 percent, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 99 percent

99 percent Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

Recently, I accepted an assignment, then after driving 23 miles to this school, I was told the job was cancelled and reoffered to another substitute.

Can a substitute be “banned” from working at a particular school or any specific teacher and not be told? We use Aesop, and I’ve noticed a sharp reduction in the number of available jobs.

Am I being blacklisted?

3. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 17, 2011

Were you told the job was "reoffered to another substitute?"

If so, I'm surprised someone would admit that.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 17, 2011

Did they give you a reason why this happened when you showed up? The district that I sub that uses Aesop doesn't allow the teachers to request a specific sub. It could be that they were trying to get a paticular person and you picked the job up before they got it so they cancelled it and gave it to that person. Just a guess.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 17, 2011

I would call the sub desk and find out if you will still be paid for showing up.

Is there a "no request" policy? It could be that they were trying to get around it by dropping you for someone they already knew at the school. It's definitely surprising they would admit it.

6. 99 percent

99 percent Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

Yes, they admitted it…..without any explanation or compensation.
    I was wondering the same, that maybe I took the job posted that was meant for someone else?
    I just worked there recently and I’ve never been contacted about any complaints from teachers, administrators or secretaries.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

Is there a reason to believe you might be?

8. 99 percent

99 percent Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

I have worked at that school many times, but never for that particular teacher.

And if I was blacklisted, how would I know?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

You might not know. My question was if you may have done something that could have lead to you being 'blacklisted'. I have requested that certain subs NOT be assigned to my room based on their decisions made on the times they have subbed for me....but that doesn't mean such subs would be blacklisted by the entire district...

10. 99 percent

99 percent Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

Honestly, I know I’ve had complaints from teachers whom I prefer to never work for again. And if a teacher blacklisted me from their class it will be a blessing; because their kids were terrible and no one follows direction. I just don’t want to be banned from the other teachers at the same high school or other schools in the same district. The assignment that was taken away from me was a teacher whom I’ve never met or worked for in the past.

I never complain how I’m treated as a sub, that I’m rarely given a key to the “adult” restroom or the harassment from the campus security or even the vaguely written or nonexistent lesson plans and seating charts because I need the work and don’t want to bite the hand that feeds my family.

This district does not have a union for subs and I so badly want to complain to the administration.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 18, 2011

I would think that if you were not notified ahead of time, they need to pay you at least a 1/2 day's pay. That's what happened to me in a district long ago. The teacher canceled the job but failed to let everyone else know therefore I was not told. That teacher was docked pay for not notifying the sub finder.....

I would find out about being paid at leaset 1/2 day's pay since you werent' notified in advance.

12. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

You got no phone call that the job was canceled? And they canceled it how close to the time you were to report? I would say you definitely deserve some compensation.

13. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Nov 19, 2011

I have no idea if you are being blacklisted or not, but I can certainly say from a teacher's experience that there are most definitely subs that end up intentionally not being asked back to our school. One example: One of my colleagues was out sick for over a week. One of the subs was just rude and complained all day about the teacher who was sick. We offered tons of help, had great efficient plans ready to go, she was just so critical and her attitude was poor from the minute she walked into the building. She will not be back in our building, but that has nothing to do with the rest of the district.