Job sharing pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by waverly, Mar 25, 2007.

1. waverly

waverly Rookie

Mar 25, 2007

Hi!

A friend and I, bother teachers at the same school,. are considering job sharing. For family reasons, both of us would like to only work part-time next year. She teaches 1st and I teach Kindergarten. We both love our grades, but it makes more sense right now that I would move up to first grade with her. I'm confused...does any one have any feedback to share on job-sharing pros and cons? Or on first grade as opposed to K?

Thank you very, very much, any one willing to write me!!:p :thanks:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 25, 2007

I've never seen anybody do it but just from the mention of it I would say the cons would be having to make sure that the other person is as ethical about sharing the schedule as you are and having to coteach and make sure you have extra planning time to sit together and agree on your approach and curriculum ideas. The pro is that you would spend less time in the classroom and more time at home. That doesn't mean you won't still be busy though.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 25, 2007

The only school I've been in where I saw job sharing was in 1/2 day K... one teacher taught the AM session, the other taught PM. One was a morning person, the other wasn't... and they both had new babies at home. It worked well for them... I think one got the benefits, the other just used her husband's... they technically split the after-school meetings, but the PM teacher usually went to them because "I feel bad making her come back when I'm already here." They shared the classroom, which looked VERY busy because each had their own calendar, job charts, center rotations, plus all their STUFF. But I know they also shared prep for lessons both classes were using, etc.

One of them decided to work part-time again this year (one of the EC teachers who had a baby at the end of the year took the other part-time), the other moved up to 1st full time.

What you're talking about is a little different, but I think it can work asl ong as you can both agree on classroom management, discipline, procedures, etc... and are both willing to sit down together to plan, discuss issues, organize stuff, etc.

5. JenL

JenL Comrade

Mar 25, 2007

i job shared for two years...i was in a position after student teaching that i could either take a job sharing position or have to sub.
    i opted for job sharing....i could see how it would be great for a working mother or for other family reasons.
    i job shared in a third grade classroom and a sixth grade classroom. it was much easier in sixth grade because we were departmentalized and we switched classes so i had my own classrooms or periods that i would teach. it was harder in third grade because we literally just split everything. we split subjects....it was easiest for us to do LA/social studies and then math, science, and health. we had one common/discussion time a week and other than that we both did our own things. we would cross over in the middle of the day so we could talk about what was going on and major discipline problems so we could both be aware.
    it worked out well...we were very similar in our teaching styles and we could communicate very well. i would think that these two things would be very important in a job share position.
    i would say if the school is willing, both of you are willing, then you play it by ear and see how it goes. be flexible and see what happens.

6. twoinazoo

twoinazoo Rookie

Mar 26, 2007

I currently job share in a kinder classroom. I teach the latter half of the week and my partner teaches the beginning half. We are on the phone constantly to one another, or on email. The parents and admin have been very supportive of us, so it has gone quite smoothly. But we are there often on our days off and put in way more than 50%.

We teach at a school with two other kinder teachers, and we do all our planning together. So it is critical that both of us communicate together so that we do not let our team down. We both have our strengths and weaknesses, but we balance each other out nicely. I really can't think of any cons, except you get half the pay!

7. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Mar 27, 2007

My first year of teaching I job shared in a 2nd grade classroom. My partner teacher taught in the mornings and covered all communication arts and health. I taught in the afternoon and covered math, science, s.s. It worked out well since we could each do our own "separate" things. However, now that I have a family I would much prefer to to 2 1/2 days a week. We have two classrooms at my current school where the teachers job share. One does 3 days, the other does 2. They've done it for several years and enjoy it. You have to both be consistent, very organized, and have a similar teaching style and viewpoint.