Job Share-Would you accept?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnnNorCal, Jun 28, 2013.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Jun 28, 2013

I did an interview for several open positions with a district. Not knowing the details about the jobs until the interview. To be honest, I still don't know all the details but I was offered a 50% elem. position. I am very, very happy to be offered something, but I am also very hesitant. I would not meet the teacher until after I sign the contract and I have heard horror stories about teachers that do not get along and such. I have no experience with this kind of situation and was wondering if anyone can offer advice and whether or not you would accept it.

Thank you.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2013

I wouldn't go into it thinking we were not going to get along. Worst case scenario, you're not BFF's.

I would assume you will have at least a cordial relationship.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

I would take one.

I agree with AlwaysAttend- make sure you have a positive attitude about it.

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 28, 2013

Job shares, even when you don't always feel super chummy with the other teacher, are very workable. I did one a few years ago and admittedly the other teacher and I didn't get along fabulously. We got along enough to do our jobs well and professionally. Was it perfect...no. Was it tolerable and workable...absolutely! :)

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 28, 2013

As a working mom, I would totally do it, and in fact the teacher who I subbed for last year talked to me about it! Unfortunately it didn't work out as she ended up being transferred. If you don't mind half-salary it can be ideal for parents.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2013

If I didn't need to work full time I would take it! I think it's rare where you find a 50% elementary position, so if that's what you're looking for you should snap it up!

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 28, 2013

I did job sharing when my girls were younger and it worked well to get to do things with them. My school worked it so we each taught basically 2.5 days a week. The other teacher and I could work it out as to how we split it. It worked well for us to be able to be at class parties etc..for our own kids without taking time off. We would plan ahead and work our days around who had things coming up etc...

9. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jun 29, 2013

In this competitive environment, the most important thing is to get in. Once you're in, you'll likely be able to pick and choose quite quickly.

Accept it if there isn't anything better available. Then just be cordial, helpful and professional once you're there.