Job Searching without your P knowing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, Sep 2, 2010.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

This is my first year teaching. I am single, so I picked up and moved from my hometown to a small town that I knew nothing about because that is where I could find a job. So far, I like the school that I am at, but ideally, I would eventually like to return to my hometown. It's nothing personal about the school or anything.

I don't mind the school and I don't mind the small town that I live in, but I would like to move back as soon as I can (hopefully for the 2011-2012 school year). Most districts require a reference from your current P. How would I go about applying for a position in another district, but with having the option of coming back to my current school? (if i am asked back). I feel like that would not look good if I told my P that I was looking for another job and was only going to come back if I don't find another job. Of course I would like to relocate, but I would much rather stay at my current school than have no job at all. So is there any way of applying for a job at another district with having this option in mind or would I just have to resign and hope that I find another job? I know that the interview season for the following school year is a long way away, but I was just curious how this would all work!

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

I did it a few years ago... but that was when the app was valid BEFORE references were needed. In other words, I could submit my app and interview - the reference was only needed once the P was ready to offer me a job.

(At which point my old P kept "forgetting" my reference and my new P finally called and got a reference over the phone).

Have you checked your target district to see if the app will be valid before all references are uploaded? Or can you squeak through by uploading three references but not one from your current P? They'll need it eventually... but the system might let you through if you submit the required number.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

Honestly, I'd be upfront with my P about it. Just let him know that as much as you love the school, you want to attempt to move closer to home where your family is, but that you would love to stay at the school if an opportunity is not forthcoming in your hometown.

5. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I was just talking about this scenario this afternoon with one of the teachers I know and he basically said what smalltowngal suggested; be honest and upfront. He said that if you're a temp or probationary teacher, they'll understand.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

I will most likely be in your position in a few months. I moved to a small town and the school is bearable but I'd like to relocate to a suburb or larger city.

This is year 2 for me in the same school and grade. In that time we've had 2 principals. I plan on asking the former P for a reference (she's now in a neighbor school at the same grade level) as well as the new P once we have worked together longer. Right now he keeps confusing a colleague and myself (everyone does, we look very similar).

I don't think you should be ashamed to look. You're wanting to relocate, not move to a neighboring district with better pay (not that there's anything wrong with that AT ALL but it can be perceived poorly). I know most Ps would appreciate that you were giving them notice and not leaving mid-year or just before school starts (of course you could be in that situation).

I feel like I've made it somewhat clear that I'd eventually like to move "home" and hey, one teacher has even pushed me to go "back to where you belong." hehe.

As long as you are honest, you'll be fine.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

I agree with stg. I once was searching for a job because I hated my P...my AP knew I was looking, but I never got far in the job search and stayed where I was. Luckily, the P was fired the next year :)

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

Once again, I agree with STG. Honesty is always the best.

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 3, 2010

I agree! Honesty is the best policy. I think if you tell him that you like your school, but you just want to move closer to home if the opportunity arises, he should surely understand. Good luck!

10. DFWbound

DFWbound Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

I had a similar situation this past year....I knew from day 1 that my heart was in Dallas and that it was temporary for me....but I waited to tell my principal. I wanted to make sure I had a job somewhere until I told them. I interviewed in April and told the P at the interview, that if they would like to talk to my principal to please let me know as they do not know that I am looking. I wanted it to come from me because if I couldn't find a job, I would have stayed there. My new P told me in April that she wanted to talk to my principal as soon as the hiring freeze was lifted and so I went and talked to my P and she totally understood and gave me a fantastic recommendation.

The only reason I didn't say anything, was that I wanted that job security before I said anything. I knew I would be renewed where I was so that was not a worry, it was a concern of weather I would find something in Dallas. Thankfully though, my new P understood my concern about my old P finding out I was looking for a new job through a school calling, so she let me tell her and then she called. In the end it wound up perfect....because my old P was forced into retirement :) and I am now at a fantastic school!

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 4, 2010

Honesty is def the best policy...

12. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

I agree with you all that it's important to be honest, but if I told him I was looking for another job, wouldn't he just start looking to fill my position? Especially since this is my first year at the school. I just would hate to tell him, have him fill my position, and then have me not find a job in my ideal location. It seems like a tough situation..

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

SCTeacher23, do you have other reason to believe that this principal would rather see you gone? If not, then I think you'll find that the honorable course is also the wise one - for one thing, you'll have this year to demonstrate to the principal what a treasure the school will be losing if you do go.