job searching out of state

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Dec 27, 2013.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2013

My fiance accepted a job in another state and has already moved. I will be joining him at the end of the school year. I am hoping to hear from others who have job searched from across the country. Do you have any hints? It's a state where jobs are harder to come by but I do have experience now.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2013

I've done it. My best bit of advice is to go ahead and apply for that state's license now so that you'll have it in hand when you're ready to apply for jobs.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 27, 2013

Start working on getting your certification now, and send your résumé directly to principals. Fill out your application, too... but the principals are the ones that need to be impressed by you.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2013

Luckily, I already applied for certification. It took FOREVER because they lost my fingerprints in the mail. I'm so glad I started early with that.

When is a good time to send resumes? If I have a friend working at a school should I give it to them to give to their principals, or is that in poor taste?

Did you have trouble making it to the interviews out of state?

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 27, 2013

Most of my friends who work at my school got their jobs because I personally handed in their resumes. :lol: I don't see any issue in using your connections!

That being said, we won't hear rumblings of openings until April at the earliest. My district hires late and usually doesn't start interviewing until May or June, if not later.

I got all my jobs contacting principals directly. I'd schedule a personal day and tour schools you're interested in around April. Hand things in directly.

Good luck!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2013

You also have to be prepared to travel at a moment's notice. I can't even tell you how many times I've traveled back and forth. I've relocated twice now.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 27, 2013

I wouldn't give my resume to a friend... but I WOULD mention to them that I was applying to their school, and if they happen to put in an unsolicited good word for me to their principal, well... so be it:) I'd be more likely to just list them as a reference at that particular school though.

I didn't have trouble making it to interviews out of state, but that's because I planned them all on the same day. I contacted the head of special education at the first district I worked at, she was impressed with my resume, and she set up four interviews for me in the district on one day... two for known positions, two for potential.

There's no such thing as sending out resumes too early. This is the time of year where principals start thinking about their potential openings. Nothing generally is official yet... though some positions (particularly retiring teachers) may be able to be filled early. I'd send resumes now, and then a follow-up of some sort around April.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 27, 2013

Our principals start thinking about staffing in mid to late March and interview in April. It depends on the district. I would definitely use any contact I had!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

I disagree about sending a resume directly to an administrator!

Personnel handles the application process. Over the summer, interviews are held and principals are notified at the end of summer regarding which new teacher(s) is/are coming to their site.

If I received a resume emailed to me by someone I had never met, I wouldn't do anything with it. However, if I actually knew the person, felt confident that they're good for kids, and wanted the district to give them an interview, I'd forward the resume to the head of personnel (along with my vote of confidence).

Most new teachers hired in my school district were either student teachers, part-time reading intervention teachers, or have worked with an administrator in some capacity.

Jobs are difficult to come by in my school district and it's almost unheard of to hire an unknown person (unless it's for a hard-to-fill position like math or science).

On a side note: I've already told the district that I want two of my part-time reading clinicians hired next year as full-time teachers. We have one teacher retiring in June and I'm certain there has to be an open spot at another site next year. I'm pretty confident that they'll get jobs because the district has been pleased with people I've recommended in the past.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2013

It REALLY depends on the state. Hiring here is more like YTG explained it. Hiring in NC was 100% principal driven. Districts were very large (county wide) and individual operate in complete autonomy.

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2013

Most of the districts I will be applying to are very small, and the principal picks who they hire.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

I think this might be a district to district thing... most districts in Virginia and Maryland, principals pick who they want to hire and HR handles the leg work... but in Prince George's County, all hiring is done at the central office, and principals are informed of their staffing. In Fairfax County, Virginia, if you submit an application to HR and wait for an interview call, you'll be waiting for a loooooooooooong time.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

When I was applying in OH, most resumes were to be sent directly to the principal. The only one that wasn't was because they hadn't hired a P yet!

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Yikes! Interesting how things vary so widely from state-to-state.

Personally, though, I like being able to say who I want and have the personnel department handle the rest. I don't have time to deal with resumes, interviews, etc.

16. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Dec 28, 2013

Um...how do you know "who you want" if you aren't dealing with resumes and interviews?

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Read my earlier post on Page 1.

I generally hire student teachers or part-time reading clinicians. I've never hired an unknown person. It's unheard of here.

18. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Dec 28, 2013

If you're limiting yourself to those two populations, how are you sure that you're hiring the best person for that position?

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

If I've supervised them, done unannounced walkthroughs, and seen first-hand how they deal with children, parents, and staff members, then I'd much rather hire that person over someone who sounds good on a piece of paper!

20. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Dec 28, 2013

Interviews are pieces of paper?

You've essentially limited your hiring decisions to people who are new teachers or function in different roles than a full-time teacher in their present position. You don't see how this is dramatically limiting your pool of candidates and essentially ruling out full-time teachers switching districts who may be MORE effective than the candidates you previously mentioned?

Are there specific courses on hiring and managing professionals in graduate administrative programs? I'm genuinely curious.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Yes.

It's apparent that you're not happy with my responses. That's just the way things work in my district and in nearby districts.

Once again, I'd much rather hire someone I've worked with (or who was recommended by another site administrator) over someone who aces an interview!

22. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Dec 28, 2013

Hiring practices like that in the private sector would overlook some of the most qualified prospective employees who could add the most to the organization. Those qualified employees would go work for the competition and most likely lead to decreased market share and possible closure of the business that overlooked them.

Deliberately and arbitrarily shrinking a pool of applicants without considering resumes and interviews is a terrible hiring practice. If someone who has worked at the school is the best candidate, that will show up in an interview process when compared with the experience and qualifications of other applicants. "I don't have the time to look at resumes and interview candidates" is the equivalent of a teacher saying, "I don't have the time to contact parents."

Sorry; it's your job.

23. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Interviewing skills are not the same as teaching skills. Being good at one is no assurance of being good at the other. I've sat in panels for teachers that sounded fabulous and ended up being disasters in the classroom.

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Also, it ISN'T his job in his district. Based on what I'm seeing, he can recommend candidates, but he doesn't handle résumés or applications. He just recommends certain candidates that he DOES want to see get an interview, and then central office takes it from there. Him giving any input at all in the process is going beyond what is expected of his job.

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

This is a horrible analogy.

I am not sure if you're a college student, teacher who's out of work, or a veteran teacher.

Just because someone looks good on a piece of paper and gives a phenomenal interview doesn't mean they'll be good for kids.

Again, I'm sticking to my original response: I'll continue to recommend people who I've seen first-hand in the classroom either as a part-time teacher, substitute teacher, or student teacher.

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

This is exactly how it works in my district.

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

We had a student teacher last year. She was okay. Nothing impressive. I'd much rather take my chances on an unknown who has a great resume, interview, and letters of rec. I know my P would too.

We did hire another student teacher this year. He still was competing for the job even though he was awesome in student teaching.

I know many who do well in student teaching but flop in their own classroom. To me student teaching is just a longer interview. I'd still rather do interviews.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 29, 2013

I get it, but it bothers me a lot, too.

That hiring practice means that you can't get a full time teaching job in certain districts unless you student teach there or work in a part time capacity. I wasn't able to choose where I student taught, and both districts I was placed in had many years of layoffs before I came along. They haven't hired since maybe 2008 or 2009. I doubt they'll hire this year either. I can't afford to work part time. We need my income. So, following that logic, I can never get a job anywhere.

Hopefully I'll find a district that does their hiring differently. But yes, it bothers me greatly that I might be completely passed over, even though I will now have 2 years of experience, because a new person was in the right place at the right time and able to work for peanuts for awhile to work their way up. :unsure:

And I happen to know that a lot of districts *require* that jobs are posted on Edjoin, even though they're just going to pick someone from the inside anyway. Thinking about how many hours I'm going to waste putting together perfect applications/cover letters/resumes/etc for jobs that have basically already been promised to other people makes me absolutely sick.

(Sorry if I'm contributing to hijacking the thread...:sorry:)