Job Searching is a job in itself!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JamieB11, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

This is the 6th year I have done the teacher job search. It is getting so frustrating!!! For the past 5 years, I've worked mostly in one school district, which I loved (daily subbing and then 4 different long term sub positions, which they keep asking me back for). I thought for sure that I would have a great shot at getting hired there this year, but unfortunately they ended up hiring 3 people that had been furloughed from other school districts. The principal told me that my interview and demo lesson were excellent, but ended up hiring people with "more experience." I was (and still am, a bit) heartbroken. I have put so much of my time and effort into that school. They have asked me back for subbign for next year, but I am just so discouraged and frustrated with substituting. I am 28 and trying to start my life, plan my wedding, etc and it is very hard to do that on a substitute budget. I really feel that I have learned a lot and am definitely ready for my own classroom.

I have years of daily subbing, long-term subbing, tutoring, counseling, summer school teaching, daycare, etc. experience. I live in a small area in PA and I think I have exhausted all opportunities here, so I have finally decided to move out of the area, and out of the state with my fiance. I have been looking everywhere, mostly on the East coast (as we'd like to be RELATIVELY close to our families and quite possibly a beach?). I have updated my resume, cover letter, made a teacher brochure (thanks to the suggestions on here), e-mail principals directly, make phone calls, EVERYTHING I can think of to get myself noticed (without being too pushy or annoying). I feel like I am doing everything I should, yet I am still having a hard time getting anything. I work 2 jobs over the summer and although it is exhausting, I spend most of my free time working on job searching/applying, etc.

I am just so tired, frustrated, and discouraged. I don't want to give up, but I am starting to think maybe it just isn't meant to be? *sigh*

Sorry for the vent. I just needed to let it all out, and although I'm fairly new here, I really value everyone's input and opinions here. Thanks for reading.

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

Yes,it is. I was just saying the same thing to my husband today--that this harder than teaching. Having taught I feel qualified to say that! I think it is great that you are expanding your search. If you are in a position to move to where there are more jobs, you are so smart to do that. And it sounds like your district is taking you for granted. There are schools who love to hire their subs, and there are schools who love to keep their subs as....subs. Somewhere out there is the right school who will view your experience and accomplishments favorably and offer you a job!

4. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

Thank you, Rainbowbird! I hope you are right!!
    And yes, I agree with you... I totally feellike I have been taken for granted. I feel used and abused, and I just can't do it anymore. All of my teacher friends at the school were so shocked that I wasn't hired. They told me that although they will all miss me, that I should go somewhere that will appreciate me. I think that's good advice. So I'm trying to put all of that behind me, and be excited about this new adventure with my fiance. I just hope something happens soon!!

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

It should not take you 6 years to find a full-time job. It seems you were afraid to leave your comfort zone.

6. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

To the contrary, Milsey, these last six years have been a tough time for all. Especially since she comes from a small town, I see that the competition can be a little more stiff. Plus, teachers tend to stick around longer.

OP... sending you lots of teacher dust and good luck your way!!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Have you found a job yet, Milsey?

JaimeB...feel free to post your resume and cover here in a new thread...members here are really helpful in successfully polishing up job search packages. Expanding your search is a good idea....apply EVERYWHERE, not just where there are listed openings. Good luck!:thumb:

8. ammyers626

ammyers626 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

I'm sorry that you didn't get hired at that school. I completely understand the feeling of not being chosen for a teaching position. I haven't been trying quite as long as you have but I don't know what else I can do besides show up at school, get involved, and do the best job I can do.

I hope moving will help you get in a better place and in a school that will appreciate your efforts! Good luck in your job search!

9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

I have a job. I just don't have a placement yet.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Oh, so something worked out for you despite the problems your bikini pic was causing you in getting interviews?

11. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

Getting BACK to the OP...

These threads are great for cover letters... Everyone is honest and speaks from experience.

You will find your "right" fit eventually... sometimes it takes a while!

12. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

Thank you so much, everyone! I truly appreciate the encouragement. It's nice to know that there are others out there going through similar situations.

Milsey... I live in a very small, rural community. There are not many school districts in the area, and they are all very political. They rarely have any open positions because teachers usually stay until they retire. I honestly don't believe that there is anything that I have done to hinder me from getting a job here. Which is why I decided on moving.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

OK, having made that decision:

right now, today, why don't you choose a couple of areas around PA that look promising? Send a copy of your resume and cover letter to lots and lots of principals.

We're in the midst of the hiring season; thinking of moving out of state would probably guarantee another year of subbing, since school will have started before you could get settles. Why not see if your current licence will get you a job elsewhere in the state, and buy a year while you decide where you really want to settle?

Does your fiance's job enter into it, or is he in a field where the location is less important?

14. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

Thank you Alice. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have applied to tons of schools in PA as well this year. I started with PA, but then extended my search outside of the state when I realized that I should broaden my opportunities.

He is a chef, but is currently unemployed and actually starting up his own business making beef jerky. He sells it online, where we can do from anywhere. We feel that moving might help his chances in that, and also more restaurants for him to potentially work as well.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

OK, then tonight I want you to email your resume and cover letter to EVERY SINGLE principal in every one of those districts to which you applied. Every one!!!! I don't care whether they're showing an opening or not.

It's mid July-- time to make sure they know you're still available!!

16. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

I'm on it! Been keeping myself extremely busy today!!

So much for a relaxing day off... haha

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

I'm a little surprised you responded to someone elses response to your post because usually when you start a thread and people ask you questions because your situation sounds odd you don't respond.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Good luck Jamie!! I agree with your co-workers that you should move on. Their loss! I hope that the move will help you and your fiance. :)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

:whistle:

20. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for the good lucks and kind words! The encouragement really does help. I was really hoping to come home from work today and have some interview offers (or at least 1?!) in my e-mail, but only got a rejection letter. BLEH.

21. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

Don't be discouraged. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right job. Stay open and optimistic.

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

You are wise to move on. Your district passed you up when they had the opportunity to hire you. The same thing happened to me and when I moved on, I got a job. PA is really difficult right now and it sounds like your fiance has a great job to relocate with you. Keep reaching out to every district you can think of - and good luck!!!

23. carlia

carlia New Member

Jul 16, 2012

I substituted in my children's school district for 5 years, mostly at their school, always hoping that NEXT year I would get hired. After 5 years, nothing. I decided that they had had plenty of time to "try me out" and if the principals couldn't see my potential after 5 years they weren't looking or interested in giving up a reliable and popular sub. So I moved on. I branced out and did some field research work for 2 universities studying teaching, taught adults how to read, and eventually ended up a full time professor at a university. Then, a year later we had to move. :(

But, I am back in the teacher job hunt game again. I think I may have some luck on my side now, as a school system sent me an email urging me to complete my application and officially turn it in so that they can consider me for a 2nd grade position.

Stick with it and don't give up. Good Luck!!!

24. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 16, 2012

Thank you so much. I am glad that others agree that I should move on. I really thought that I'd end up full time there. Its kind of weird that I won't be going back in the fall, but I think I am doing the right thing. A lady told me today that I was stupid for not going back to do the long term sub position this year because "a jobs a job and they are hard to come by" (which I agree with, but I just feel kind of used and abused there, ya know?)...

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

That lady, unless she's your mom, has no business telling you how to run your life. She's made her choices, you're entitled to yours.

Even if it should turn out to be a mistake-- and I don't think it is-- we're all entitled to our own mistakes.

26. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 16, 2012

THANK you. I thought the same thing. I felt that it was very rude of her. It wasn't my mom, someone that I used to work with. She is an aide at the school that I'm not going back to.

She's the only person that I have talked to that thought I should go back... everyone else seems to think that I am making the right decision, whether I end up gettng a position elsewhere or not.

27. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing. I'm leaving a secure job in a month to return to teaching, even if it's just subbing. I'm crazy, too.! :D

28. mathguy_2332

mathguy_2332 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

Jamie what is your liscensure area and grade level? I sympthasize with you; I have been out of school for 2 years now and still no job.

29. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 18, 2012

Thank you, Penguinpc!! :)

Mathguy, I am early childhood and elementary education (Preschool - 6th grade) in PA.