Job Search

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ready2teachintx, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Hello all,

I am new here. This seems like a great place to learn and share info., especially for new teachers.

I have just finished my ACP classes and have passed my Spec. Ed. exam and am taking my EC-4 on Saturday. My goal is to become an elementary teacher this year. I have done minimal subbing last year. I am looking for a teaching position currently. Any suggestions for me to try to find a teaching position for this coming school year?? I am all ears:thanks:

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Ready, where in Texas are you looking? There are alot of Texans on here so some might be able to tell which districts are more acp friendly. Good luck on your search!

4. ready2teachintx

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks nice girl. I am in Sugar Land. I have applied in Fort Bend (1st choice), Lamar Consolidated and Alief (just yesterday). I have one interview last week. Have heard nothing back so far. Should I send a thankyou email or note?? I really prefer Spec Ed position. The interview was for a 3rd grade gen. ed. position. But, at this point...I need a job!!

5. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I would definitely send a thank you. Even if you are not really interested. That same person may be transferred, etc or find another opening in the area you want. Get on that right away if you can. I am in Houston, just got hired at cy-fair. I am SPED too! I applied to 5 different districts to increase my odds. If you feel it's getting too close to school time and want a job I would put your resume in with more districts. It is possible to get calls even the week of school though. Good luck!

6. ready2teachintx

Jul 31, 2007

Congrats!! That is awesome. Did you interview alot? I just passed my SPED test and have just completed my ACP classes. So, I am now in hot pursuit to find something.

7. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I think I had about 7 interviews from May-July (with most being in July). I got my first reject letter today. lol. It's okay though since I accepted a position last week.

8. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Apply to EVERY district in a 30mile radius- even the small ones. Email principals directly asking if they had an open position, how much you would love to interview and attach your resume and letter of intent. Call every school and ask if anything is open.
    Because you are in an ACP program you are not as qualified as certified teachers, so by law they will hire the more certified first. BUT at this time of year, they are in a frenzy to hire so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. You have to just apply, email, call, apply, email, call, apply, email, call. Once you have a year under your belt, you will be much more desirable (since you will have your official certificate)... good luck!

9. ready2teachintx

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks for the avice. I will apply to another district today. There are about 4 districts that are somewhat close to me. Of course, the one I want to work in is where my son goes (so I can have his same hours and schedule). I have heard exactly what you are saying though about being an ACP student. Tomorrow I am going to a refresher Sub orientation at a district that I am very interested in. So I will approach any HR person available and have my resume paperwork on hand (just in case).