Job Search help

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Sub2Teach, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions on an application to hopefully get an interview for a district near me. I've been subbing for awhile and I'm hoping to get my own classroom soon. I've been out of school for three years and i haven't had any luck finding a teaching job.

1. What are the significant issues facing our profession presently and in future?

2. Please describe the applications of current research on effective teaching which you would utilize in your assignment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 20, 2006

I think it would be best if you narrow them down to the specific grade levels you intend on applying for to teach. Some methods may not carry over to other levels and some issues vary between as well.

4. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 20, 2006

I'm applying for k-6 positions, mainly lower primary grades.

5. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jul 21, 2006

For number 2, I would maybe talk about using cooperative learning in the classroom. Also, a little about how you would differentiate instruction for your students and teach to a variety of learning styles..use the current buzzwords, in other words.

Not sure what they are looking for in question 1..maybe teacher retention, school finance problems, state testing....?? Good luck!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

Some significant issues:

- parents who are so cruched for time that reading becomes very low on the list of priorities. Likewise, time for going over homework, and time for just playing with their kids.

-kids who are so overscheduled that they never get any down time. When's the last time your saw neighborhood kids just playing an unorganized game of anything? Where's the time for imagination to flourish?

-schools expected to wear so many hats that it's hard to do any of them well. The three R's have now been stretched to include child abuse prevention, nutirtion, AIDS prevention, obesity prevention, before and after school programs... the list goes on forever. Yet the school year hasn't increased. So we're teaching waaay more material in the same time; something has to give!

-the widening gap between the haves and the have nots. What happens to the kid who can't afford the $100 graphing calculator in high school? Does he opt out of Precalculus, or just start off at a huge disadvantage?

-the disparity between districts with money and those without.

- the increasing number of school finance scandals and the message they're sending to our kids.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Those are some of the 'stock" questions districts around me use.

For the first one, I've used accountability (testing, curriculum getting pushed down, teacher performance solely reflected in standardized tests, etc).

For the second, I've usually done differentiating instruction and talked about Gardner and Piaget, and incorporating different types of learning, projects, etc. I might re-do that question, thoguh, I think I've learned a lot since the last time I answered it. :)

8. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Thanks for all your ideas!!! That really helps!!!!!!!!! I have my fingers crossed that something will come through!!!!!!!!!!