Job search frustrations

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by new2teach15, Jun 17, 2016.

1. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

I just graduated in May and have applied for every position that is within my certification in several school districts. I have had maybe 8 interviews and no offers yet. I keep getting the same response of "you interviewed great, and we know that you will be a great teacher, but we went with another candidate. We would like for you to put your name on the sub list." The most recent principal said, "it's just getting that one person to say yes to you." It is becoming super frustrating for me to continuously be told no. I know that I have the opportunity to sub, and have jobs everyday, but that is not why I went to school. I have found that in my area the people that are getting the teaching jobs are those that have been subbing, so it becomes a necessary evil.
    I am trying to stay positive, but it is getting more difficult by the day. Has anybody else faced a similar experience of having to sub for a year (or more) before they found a teaching position, and any words of advise you have if I find myself in this position come August?
    Thanks

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2016

Are you willing to relocate? In the area I grew up in, it's pretty much unheard of to get a job right out of school without being a sub first, often for more than one year. In fact, at the time I graduated, many local schools had waiting lists to get on their sub lists! I felt I would be a horrible sub and hated even the thought of having to do it. IMO, teaching and subbing are different skill sets. I moved across the country so I could get a full time job right out school instead. If you're willing to move, there are plenty of areas that have shortages or easier job markets. I planned on staying in my current state for a year or two so I could get experience and be a better candidate when interviewing in my home state. I ended up loving it out here and have been here for six years; now I wouldn't dream of moving back. In my case, it was definitely "meant to be!"

4. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

Unfortunately, I am not able to relocate. If it were just me I'd pack up and move anywhere however, my husband has a great job where we live. I am lucky in that I know that in the districts around me (there are at least 6) there are many opportunities for subbing every day. The district I student taught in always had unfilled sub positions so I'm not worried about having jobs.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 17, 2016

The first year I was looking, it was August with school starting in three weeks, and I was resigning myself to subbing when on this board I read advice from Alice who said job seekers should send an email to every principal at every school within your acceptable commute distance. She reminded us that principals find themselves with unexpected openings in the week or two before school starts, and those openings are often filled from networks and serendipity rather than the whole posting for two weeks that happens in the spring. Principals call friends, ask colleagues and look at random resumes people have emailed them.

So I followed this advice and started emailing high school principals about two weeks before school was starting. Three days before school started I got a call for an interview and had the job by the end of the day.

So that is my advice to you. If you still don't have a job later this summer, start emailing principals letting them know that if they find themselves with an unexpected opening in your subject area, you are still available and interested in joining their team. I think two to three weeks before school starts is a good time frame. I repeated this story and advice two or three years ago, and four or five people reported back later that this process helped them land a job. I hope it helps you as well.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    ReverseSpin likes this.
  6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 17, 2016

I subbed for 2 years and most people I know or heard about even here have subbed for at last some time. I think it's kinda rare to get a job right out of school. It happens, but don't expect it.

It seems that you're competing for jobs with others who have had experience. They might just have had 2 years of subbing experience, but that can make a huge difference. They can have great letters of recommendation from people who have seen them work, they actually have classroom experience and when the interviewer asks them questions, instead of saying "I would do this or that in my classroom..." they can say "when I had a 3 weeks / 3 months, etc long term sub assignment, or when I was subbing, I DID this and that..." They actually have evidence of what they did, not ideas of what they would do. It makes a huge difference.

7. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

Thank you for your advise. I think that this is a great idea. I will prepare a letter and have it ready to send out mid July. I will certainly be doing this. I have heard of teachers getting a job right before or right after school starts so I know that it is not completely hopeless just yet. I have learned that in my area at least, landing your first teaching job is a lot about who you know and that has been very frustrating. I know that it will be good experience if I do end up subbing, as I am sure I would learn a lot about the schools I would and would not want to teach in.

Best of luck![/QUOTE]

8. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

I agree with you. During the interview process, I answer the questions with what seems like a reasonable answer, but that may not be how it is in reality. The interviews I have gotten have mostly come from being recommended to the principal by somebody and then have learned that the person hired was somebody who has subbed and they know. It makes sense, but still frustrating.

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 17, 2016

when you emailed those principals near school starting, how many did you send out and how many actually responded to you in some way by phone or email?

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2016

The fact that you have had that many interviews without an offer may signal that you need help with your actual interviewing skills/answers. Just a thought, and the good news is that you can tweak your skills for interviews, learning better techniques. Best of luck.

11. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 18, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  12. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 18, 2016

I would agree with you, but I have asked for feedback and they all said I did great. The only feedback I got from a school is that o needed to know more about the district. Knowing that I am missing out to people who have subbed makes me think that is the bigger issue.

13. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 18, 2016

I sent out about 30 emails. All the responses I got were by email. Five responded within a day, basically all saying they didn't currently have an opening, but they would keep me in mind. It was about a week before I heard back from a sixth school, and I ended up being hired by them. One of the first five emailed again about a month later asking if I was still available.

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 18, 2016

Congrats on getting education's ultimate slap in the face.

"You're not good enough to teach here, but please come in and sub for us".

I admire those who can stay positive in the job hunt, and wish you much success in your search and career. (Can you tell I hate subbing?)

IloveSF likes this.
  15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2016

The people who just turned you down will not give you the honest help you need. They will always say your interview went well, because they aren't getting paid to make you sad or angry if they can directly help it. That is a hard, but honest, fact. I would suggest contacting your university and asking for help. Trust me, they want to see you employed, so they will have, somewhere, career services, where you can get help (free of charge) in all types of matters that deal with becoming employed. Someone there can do some mock interviews with you, using the same type of questions you might face in the real situation, then critique your interview, solely to give you constructive criticism geared to honing your interviewing skill set. I am not saying that experience won't help, but countless new teachers are hired every year. I suspect that in the interview you are giving answers that are a little weak, making them choose another candidate who sounds more like a seasoned teacher. Just a suggestion - subbing won't hurt you, just your pocketbook.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 18, 2016

I would suggest to start subbing asap. Alternative ed is open year round, and you can go to your local county office of ed to get on the sub list. You can have 2 months of subbing done in various and interesting paces that will look great on your resume.
    These schools can be community schools, independent study school, court schools, juvenile detention facilities, and they sound harder than they are. It's hard to find subs for these places and good subs are always appreciated. I even subbed at an alcohol rehab school - I gotta say that was the hardest, but I managed.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2016

I am sorry that you see this as a slap in the face. Here, subbing is the only way to a contract position in almost every case. Our subs must be qualified teachers and most are recent graduates who are gaining experience and building relationships in the schools they sub in.

If the schools you interview at are not at all interested in you or don't think you would be effective in the classroom, they would not be inviting you to sub in their classrooms.

18. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 18, 2016

I graduated in December so I spent January to May subbing and I landed my first interview and got offered the job. I think subbing gave me great experience and ideas to use in the classroom. Maybe you can end up landing a long term sub job!

Linguist92021 likes this.
  19. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 19, 2016

I feel like that once I didn't get hired out of school, the die was cast that I was going to be a failed teacher who was a substitute. Well, I have one wasted year of "experience" as a substitute teacher now...so maybe it will help. My attitude is this: If I was such a bad teacher that I needed experience; I have some flaws that can't be fixed. I know the schools around me have been very vocal about a shortage of substitute teachers. Part of the reason is that some education colleges are warning their students against subbing for the "scarlet letter" on a resume that is "teaching" without a contract.

From reading your posts, you seem to have respect for substitute teachers. Let me put it this way...in my area, very few do. The job search thing is frustrating (as you can see)...I've even asked one district if I could start at the bachelor's level of salary instead of the masters' level (I have MA and JD), but they wouldn't even do that. If I can't give my services away, how do I expect to get a contract to do it?

Good luck to everyone.

20. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 19, 2016

21. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 19, 2016

My college advisor keeps suggesting education law and special Ed advocacy. So the education community thinks alike :)

22. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 19, 2016

23. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 20, 2016

I'm kind of doing the same thing. Also thinking of pursuing an elementary license to go with MS/HS licenses because I've seen a lot of recent openings at the earlier grade levels. I guess with my "skills", education law may be an option although I'm not 100% sure why attorneys are involved in the educational process.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 20, 2016

25. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 20, 2016

Thanks. I have been down on myself and my abilities a long time, and that's something I can change. Subs in my area are treated pretty badly no matter how good of a job they do, so I kind of adopted the attitude that those people were right and used it as motivation to get a contracted position. The problem with that is that it boils over sometimes.

I know that I have to take full advantage of every second I get in a classroom of any kind. The kids deserve nothing less than that.

MrsC likes this.
  26. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jun 21, 2016

I too am job searching and am resigning myself to subbing if nothing pans out. There are plenty of sub positions to work everyday. But I had a question about sending emails to principals. In massachusetts 99% of the schools use school spring with explicit instructions to NOT email the principals directly. Would you do so anyways? I wouldn't want to piss off any school districts.

27. gfel

gfel Guest

Jun 22, 2016

Two great signs:

1) You are getting interviews
    2) They are telling you that you are going to be great.

If these are continuously occurring it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy and you are headed in the right direction.

This can be a very difficult process, especially if you are in a tough area/core subject where most schools prefer a candidate with a little experience (how in the heck are you going to get it if nobody gives you a shot?!!!)

Treat this struggle as a great lesson and once you get that offer and you will get it, appreciate that position and value it because you worked hard to get there.

28. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

It is so different in my area. If you get in with a school/district to sub and do a great job, they treat you well and you will be busy all of the time. The teachers in the grade level I student taught in always had the same 2 or three subs come into their classrooms. I guess I have that going for me if no job comes my way before school begins.

29. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

I think that part of the frustration for me is that for so many years (always it seems like) I was just in the right place at the right time and have never had to really interview to get a job. I worked at my last company for 12 years and each job I held while I was there just presented itself at the right time. I did just get 2 more calls today for interviews so I know my resume is strong and I am standing out. I have also been told by the principals to get on the sub list and they would like to have me there to sub and to apply again when there is an opening. I agree with you in that this is a great lesson for me and I will certainly appreciate the position when it comes my way.

30. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

Try being told no 3 years in a row.

31. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

And in my area, subs are mostly babysitters. I don't feel like I really "teach" anything. Every now and then I'll be in a classroom where the teacher actually gives a sub something to do, but most of the time, I walk around the room watching kids work. Anyone can do that. I don't want to do a job a person with a GED could do.

32. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

I've wanted to say that too, but I was told the union would put a stop to that in no time flat.

33. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

That's my worry. Some people get really irritated by emails and correspondence like this.

But then I worry about every move I make anymore.

34. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 29, 2016

The fact that you've gotten 8 interviews shows you have something going for you, and probably a good cover letter and resume.

Here's my question for you -- Why should they hire you when there are more experienced candidates out there? Really think and answer that question -- they should hire you over someone with more experience because you are ____________. (insert the term that fits for you...) Remember that most teachers love children and are passionate about teaching, so try to think of something other than that. Are you a life-long learner who wants to share that passion with young people? Are you a person who strives to find the each person's special talent, and help them develop? Do you try to build consensus with your teammates, and partner to build the best grade level team possible so that the students of that grade will receive the best possible education? {Only you can come up with the answer to this question, I'm just trying to show you a few examples.}

Once you can pinpoint that one special quality you have that will make them want to choose you over other (possibly more experienced) candidates, you need to focus on that attribute as a part of your answers during the interview. Use anecdotes that demonstrate it. Give examples that highlight it. Let it shine through during the interview.

Good luck in your job search.

-Rain