Job search blues

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Aug 8, 2012.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

This is so embarrassing, but I was sitting at the kitchen table talking to my husband this afternoon about the job search and I just started crying like a baby. Obviously, that type of reaction isn't productive at all, but I just couldn't stop it.
    I haven't had an interview, not one. There really isn't many opportunities here in Michigan, and there are so many teachers with years of experience looking. I had a principal call at the very end of last summer saying he had seen my resume online and loved what he saw. He wanted to interview me. I had to turn down the interview for a few reasons, one of which was that I hadn't received my certification yet. It came a few weeks later. I had placed my resume online in anticipation of getting it.
    Anyway, I thought that someone would at least invite me for an interview this summer. Nope. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, but I guess I just didn't realize how truly terrible the job market is in Michigan. I knew it was bad, but not getting a single phone call really dials that point home. So, I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself. It's tough. This is the most stressful job search I have ever had and I am a second career teacher hopeful so I have job search experience.
    If anyone has a story or two about how they received a call to interview right before school started or even after, I could use it. I'm pretty down right now.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

Hang in there. When I graduated back in '06, I only had one interview. It was for the district I graduated from and volunteered in. I landed the interview through a job fair. I was interviewed at the job fair by one of my younger sister's favorite teachers (who was now a principal). I didn't land a single interview in '07 in Michigan.

I (obviously) do not know how to make it happen. Even now, with 5 years of experience, I only landed 4 interviews.

You are much more fortunate than I am because you can take a last minute job. The school year doesn't start for nearly a month! There is still time!!

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2012

Hang in there, i was hired for my first job three days before school started!

Last year, I returned to teaching after raising my children and there were almost no positions within commuting distance. I ended up doing a long-term sub which was a disappointment, but I got great references and recent experience, which has led to more interviews this year. Do consider doing a long-term sub if you can.

I know it is hard. I have had my moments of depression this summer but the only thing to do is apply everywhere for everything for which you are certified. Hang in there and keep checking those websites and sending out those resumes!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I just checked one website, and they posted 6 elementary jobs this week! So keep looking. :) (And I was very, very bad. I applied for one. It is 5th grade, so I have tons of experience. It is a 'neighborhood' school in the middle of a subdivision. My sister lives in that subdivision. If they call and miraculously do a phone interview, I will pull up the stakes and high-tail it to MI!)

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2012

Whooooo! Hope it works out!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I am not supposed to be applying. :blush: I officially go back next week! Kids don't start until the 27th though.
    I'm not doing any follow up e-mails or anything. Just the application. If it somehow works out, it was meant to be and I will make it happen.
    I did resist applying for the other 5 jobs. They were either in very undesirable areas or kindergarten.

8. WanderinTeacher

WanderinTeacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

I have heard of people hired before school or even a few weeks into school, just not me. Hang in there and good luck!

9. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

Thanks everyone. It's such a bummer to be so sad and know that getting down doesn't change a darn thing. I need to keep applying and applying and crossing my fingers for the best. It is so hard though.
    Giraffe, I actually think you should keep applying. I know you said you wouldn't after a certain point, but you want to come home and you need to do what's best for you. As long as you go before the first day children have school, they can replace you easily and you can get home. Just think about how it would open up something for someone who wants to find a job in North Carolina and is struggling right now hoping for openings.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I am seriously at the point where I would sign my house over to the bank with a deed in lieu of foreclosure and take the hit to my credit. (I couldn't possibly pack my house, classroom, and list my house is a week's time. I have been working on getting my house up for sale for 2 weeks, and I still have a lot of outdoor work to do!)

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Giraffe, I hope it works out!

And yes, many more people will be finding jobs in the next few months. There are often positions added a month or two into the school year as well.

12. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 8, 2012

:hugs:I've done that this week...so I over stand! Wishing you luck and a position this school year!!!

13. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 8, 2012

acl1974....I totally understand how you feel. I find myself getting more anxious and sad as time passes, but don't give up!

Email your resume and cover letter to principals, even if there aren't any job postings. I have an interview next week for a job that hasn't been posted publically because I emailed the principal. Good luck!

14. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

Do. Not. Give. Up.

I'm dealing with this now am frustrated like you are. One of my teaching jobs hired me the DAY before school started because the other teacher found another opportunity at a better school. Stuff happens, teachers may leave on a short notice... and suddenly, an opportunity appears! Stuff happens for a reason and you got to keep believing that to get through your darkest hours. I spend an average of 8 hours a day applying and searching for jobs- I only got a handful of interviews with no offers, so it hasn't been easy on me either.

You are not the only teacher going through this. The economy sucks right now for teachers or any public service worker. A buddy of mine can't even get into the police force though he graduated top of his class because of the economy. Perhaps this is a time to reflect on a plan B of your career. I am studying for IT certifications to open another job market. I got an interview tomorrow... if I don't get it, that's ok since I got a backup plan.

"And if you fall, stand tall and comeback for more." You gotta keep your head up.

15. Socivol

Socivol Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

I'm in the same boat I have been sooooo depressed. I had to quit my job to do my student teaching and now I am out of money and about to lose my apartment :( I am highly qualified to teach 8 subjects and I haven't even had an interview. I applied to positions in six states and nothing. It's so frustrating. I have emailed principals with open positions listed on the district websites and they don't even take the time to respond. It's really frustrating and insulting that I have put so much time and effort into this and I haven't even had a single interview.

16. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Aug 9, 2012

Last summer I applied to well over 30 positions (even instructional assistants), I only got two interviews. The way I got one of those interviews was by emailing the principal by resume and a brief letter of interest. When a job was posted I would send the principal of that school or the HR person an email. If they didn't respond, oh well but it is eventually what helped me out. I also started emailing the principals of schools in the districts I was looking for even if they did not have a job posted at that time. Some never responded but some were actually really helpful. I was from out of state, had no connections so I had to put myself out there to make those connections... you can do it to! It is tedious but it could possibly get you down a good path! Keep up the good work!

17. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Aug 9, 2012

I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately I don't have a husband that I can cry to just alot of wonderful, caring friends. I'm always stressed and worried about money. I have plan A to G going at any given time. I am grateful in that I have 2 full years of teaching experience and was able to clear my credential.

I am also grateful because I was rehired to teach as a parttime intervention teacher for one school plus doing two LTS jobs at the another school. I'm scared too because I have 3 young boys and can't commute huge distances since I'm a single parent.

We are here for each other and that helps me get through the periods of overwelming sadness. I cry, I read, I then might have ice cream;) or a drink:eek:. Then I focus on what I do have and keep trying to find the fulltime job.

I just want to be a teacher and be able to support my small family.

:hugs: to all of you.

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

:hugs: good luck! I hope you get that dream job. Hopefully there is a principal out there with a job who understands that some of us have mortgages to pay and children to support!!!!! Hang in there!

19. Socivol

Socivol Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

I tried to put myself out there as well. I emailed every middle school teacher in the district I want to work in and nothing. What really upsets me is that the school I interned at had a social studies position open and that's what I interned in. Out of the 120+ kids I taught only 4 did not pass the test and my mentor teacher achieved the highest score possible on her value added assessment. I emailed the principal and I didn't even get an interview. That was the worst. I think I have just given up on this school year all together because it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to even give me a chance.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Wow. I have applied for 400-600 positions this year and have only gotten 4 interviews. I really wish I would have kept an exact count.

It amazes me the difference in areas of the country.

21. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

acl, is it possible for you to contact the principal that offered you the interview again to see if the position is still open? I'm not sure why you didn't take the interview. As long as your license was pending and you got it before the school year started, it would not have mattered whether you had it in hand or not.

22. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I feel the same way. In my case, school has already started, so the idea of being hired just before school starts has passed. There are one or two positions per district being posted now as they realize that they have too many students in one class, but most of them are for classes I am not qualified to teach.

Socivol - I student taught in a school that had open positions, same thing, couldn't get an interview either. In my part of TN, there have been 200+ applicants for each position, making it even tougher. Then again, in teaching social studies, it seems you are also expected to coach something too, which I do not.

I'm now looking at interim positions and hoping that between that and subbing, I can get the experience necessary to gain me a full time position next year.

23. Socivol

Socivol Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

I'm in Middle Tennessee and it's the same here, but I am certified to teach so much I thought that it would be easier to get a job (so much for that). I have friends that told me that in the past Nashville and Memphis started to call them towards the end of August/Early September and they both got jobs but this was a couple of years ago. I don't really have much faith in securing anything this year. Who knows something might pop up but I'm not going to hold my breathe. I will probably go back to social work and never try to teach again after this nightmare.