Job search anger

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HopelessTeacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

Just read a post about anger and frustration in not landing a teaching job and started wondering which of the following annoys you the most. These are all phrases I've been hearing all summer. The last one was one I overheard when I was getting groceries

A) How's your job search?
    B) You're still at it?
    C) *********** (job) looks so much better than teaching
    D) It's so easy to get a teaching position. I got one even though I don't even want to be one. I already see no future for some kids the second I see them

D. Venting on my frustration over hearing D even though I only heard it once.

3. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I think I have given up. I had an interview Monday. Yesterday, interviews would be over. I haven't even looked at the phone or thought about it much. Another position came open and I got excited by 10:30 when no call for an interview. I started working on my application for another field. I feel lousy for not having the fight mentality.
    I finally stop driving my hubby and family crazy about this search. Teachers go back tomorrow and school starts back the 27th. I am done being depressed and angry.

4. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

A. How'd you're interview go? Me: How am I supposed to know? I've had many interviews this summer, so I've been getting asked this a lot and it gets annoying. So I just now say, I have no clue how it went. It's like how can I gauge how well an interview went? To me, it may have seemed to went well, but if I didn't get the job, then it obviously didn't go well.

B. Special Education is an in demand field. Me: Yes, but what they don't tell you is that there is a glut of SPED teachers out there right now and they're all vying for the same job as you are. So, it may be in demand, but it's not any easier to get a job in.

C. Even though your qualifications and experience were impressive, we have decided to go with another candidate, lol. Been hearing or seeing that phrase a lot this summer!

5. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 15, 2012

Recently over dinner with my husband and his best-friend and his wife, she asked me "if I was still looking for a teaching job or did I just give up" I think I handle it well and said I was still applying to anything I could. I really just wanted to be sarcastic and say, "Oh well you know I just gave up on the whole having a career thing, I just love working at a restaurant sooo much, I hope when we lose our house, we can leave with you guys" all smiles :)
    I am becoming really angry and bitter and I hate it about myself.

6. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I meant to say *live

7. Johari's Window

Aug 15, 2012

I stopped telling people that I applied for a position or have an interview. My one old high school friend was the last straw! She told me, "well, you see life is real and you are over educated for nothing, and still can't get a job. All those years in school for nothing". I hadn't even given up yet! My attempt to convey that some teachers have been working to break in the field for years, so I should not complain was not taken as I hoped by her.

I don't even think I got how difficult it is to apply and interview before I started this process. Unless, you've been here, I guess it's hard to understand.

You were classy in your answer!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Just as an FYI, you can go back to any post you've written, and choose "edit post" at its bottom. You can delete part or the whole thing, add in something you've forgotten, or fix a typo.

9. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 15, 2012

Thank you! I am getting used to using this forum.:)

10. ShoelessGal

ShoelessGal Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I've noticed that the people who tend to make negative, snarky remarks are the same ones who are miserable with their careers. I think people are just upset because many teachers actually like teaching.

11. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

The comment I hear the most is the shock that I am not in my own classroom yet. People say that they know I'd be a great teacher and that the right principal will recognize it one day. One day.... I want that to be now!!!

When these people express their shock, I have a feeling that I am letting them down. Thankfully some understand that there are so many applicants for the position. I'm getting lots of interviews, therefore I must look good on paper. I know I've been the #2 choice at least twice, but I can't take being the bridesmaid forever.

12. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I also hate hearing, "how's your job search going?" and "how was the interview?". I'm also getting really sick of hearing, "Everyone needs math teachers!". I hear this all the time, and it makes me feel worse because everyone else assumes it'll be sooo easy for me to find a job, but here I am without one. I feel like I was given unrealistic expectations of how my job search would go from hearing that statement over and over again whenever I told someone what my major was when I was in college.

13. Johari's Window

Aug 16, 2012

You are right! She is very unhappy with her career. She's always wanted to become a teacher.

14. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I'm very tired of interviewing. I had SIX interviews this week. SIX. And I never get anything. :-(

In my case, I am a lot more discouraged by the fact that I am not getting any offers even though I have so many interviews than by my lack of a teaching job. Same as a PP said... whenever I sub/teach, everyone wonders why I don't have a classroom yet. I know that I can teach and have great letters of recommendation from my LTS positions. I really feel awful because I am in a competitive area and I do get many more interviews than anyone else I know... and then I never get called back. Obviously it's my interview performance that is holding me back. :(

15. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Aug 16, 2012

So true..If I had a nickel for every time someone said, "Everyone needs teachers!!" I wouldn't need a teaching job because I would have so many dang nickels!! Not really..but I know how you feel. It has been very frustrating. Especially when I have seen many teachers that are so flaky or have said, "I need to go into another profession." Its like, okay if you are burnt out and you don't want to teach anymore, please talk to you principal about me taking your place. Grrr!! Sorry. Had to vent a little.

16. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

Absolutely agree with you. I hear this one too and it drives me crazy especially when I find that they hired and didn't consider me. Then they would say, I don't know what the HR is thinking, it's just hard for incoming teachers nowadays

So true. I never know which type of year puts me down more:
    A) Several interviews & not selected
    B) A bunch of rejection letters
    C) Hearing nothing at all

That's a good way of thinking about it, especially since I love teaching!

17. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Good News for you: It is STILL too soon to give up.

You never know when a teacher has to go on sabbatical leave and can't return to her job (how I got my first teaching job).
    You never know when a teacher gets pregnant and wants to take more time off to raise her young child.
    You never know when a teacher royally screws up their career and is canned in the middle of the school year.
    You never know when a teacher decides the profession is not right for him/her OR has to leave based on a family emergency and he/she resigns before the contract ends.
    You never know when a teacher jumps to a different school system and abandons their previous position right before school starts.

I have been hired at the very last minute THREE TIMES based on a few of the circumstances above. It sounds like stupid luck, but things happen for a reason.

Whatever you do... do not quit. Please. Be as persistent as possible no matter what. If this job is your passion and your dream job, you will do whatever it takes to get it. It might not be right now, but it will EVENTUALLY come.

I feel you. I had a total of FOUR interviews on the same day this summer and I still did not get ONE offer. It felt like a slap in the face; however the experience made me stronger. I started writing down interview questions and prepared myself for well-developed answers. This forum and BusinessInsider blog articles written by professional job headhunters helped me prepare for interviews more than my interview guidebooks (Thanks A-Z for those remarkable Interview Questions).

Perhaps that is a strategy you can use. Get the answers written down and have an experienced teacher critique them (that's how I got hired). Keep trying.

Your time will come as long as you press forward and look for ways to strength your interview/cover letter/resume. Be patient.

This might be your issue. I applied EVERYWHERE because it's insanely difficult to find a teaching job in my state. I gained more interviews in less competitive areas (like places in the middle of nowhere). Either way, you shouldn't feel awful since you barely had control over the competition.

18. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2012

Thank you so much for these suggestions! Unfortunately, contributing to my frustration is that I have done all this already. I review and practice interview questions (a little less now that I realize I tend to get wooden with too much practice), I bring and actually use a portfolio, I've gone to my college career center to get help with interviewing (their response: we don't know why you're not getting hired, but we'll hire you.... seriously :eek:). I am a problem solver by nature and just can't seem to solve this one!

I see you are in PA as well... I'm in the metro Philly area. Another thing working against me! :rolleyes:

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

I understand all the frustrations; sending applications and never getting an interview (in some districts), getting interviews but no offers, and I completely understand the frustration of hearing "you'll get a job eventually". I don't need a job "eventually", I need one NOW!

It IS hard to keep trying and trying with no results, but it is also true that things can change very quickly, even after school starts. If you can't get a full time job right now, the best approach (in my opinion), is to sub as much as possible so you're still gaining experience and making contacts.

20. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I hope things change quickly. New teacher training has already started in my local districts :( I feel like I am missing out..especially if I get hired at the last minute.

21. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

That eventually really pushes it. I like hearing now too!

My anxiety increases at this time of the year. I try to keep my hopes high each year, but my stamina has been dropping steadily as years go by

22. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

Today is it for me! I'm hoping for some kind of miracle! We have to return to our campuses on Monday.

I did email a principal again thanking him another time for the opportunity to interview, and to remind him that I'd still be interested in any other position that might come up.

I hope that he doesn't think that I'm stalking him! lol!

23. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

I agree with you. Even if I get hired at this point...there's no time to prepare anything, and I've never had my own classroom so I definitely need guidance! All possible scenarios stress me out at this point :unsure: Although I'd definitely prefer to get hired and stress out rather than not get hired.

24. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Been there... done that. My college career center did not help me at all. I marched to a professional state workforce agency with JOB HEADHUNTERS who knew what they were doing. They critiqued the heck out of my interviewing skills and resume and God bless them for it.

Great... you got your interview questions written down. That's the big step. Take it to an experienced TEACHER (or even better, an administrator) who can tell you what they are looking for when they interview candidates.

I would like to share another excellent article: 11 Things Your Interviewer Is Thinking While You're Talking. this might help you curve your interview answers even more.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/things-your-interviewer-is-thinking-during-the-interview-2012-5

Oh I tried Philly, Pittsburgh, the northern counties near the Canadian border and the rest of Pennsylvania. I spent 8 hours a day hunting like crazy in PA and other states. I especially tried for the Philly area for this year since my fiance ended up relocating there to finish school... nothing. I'd rather take my chances in a nicer area like North Carolina. Once he gets school done in about a year, he's coming down to NC with me because we were tired living in DC for about two years and he already wants to get out of Philly.

Do what you gotta do and be persistent as possible. You might not get a position this year, but you get better every year.

25. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

This was my problem. I'm in NY and it's tough here too but I had a ton of interviews (probably close to 25 in 3 years) and never got the job. Obviously I looked good on paper but couldn't pull a great interview off. I get very, very nervous and I knew I wasn't coming through the best in my interviews. I don't know what changed in my interview for my position but I just felt comfortable and then must have picked up on that because I got the job! I think the right job is out there for you, it just may take a little longer to find. Oh, and I interviewed for my job late in September and started mid-October so don't be discouraged just because school is starting soon.

26. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2012

Well, I just realized that there is indeed hope! I just had my 40th interview in 18 months this morning. And then the following happened:

1. I was asked to come in for a second teaching interview for an LTS (never been to that level before)
    2. I was rejected for a different contracted position
    3. I was offered a full-time position

Now granted, I don't know if I will actually accept the full-time position (please see my urgent questions thread in the forum), but I was able to get a job. I'm still kind of reeling. Somebody. Somewhere. Offered. Me. A. Job. :-O

So don't give up, everybody! Keep trying!!

27. Johari's Window

Aug 17, 2012

Congrats!!! Good luck on whatever you choose!

28. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Aug 20, 2012

Couldn't hurt to keep practicing and working on interview skills, but then again... it's not necessarily your performance. It REALLY could be that you and the chosen candidate both were fantastic at your interviews and comes down to some obscure skill/experience advantage. Try not beat yourself up over it!

29. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Aug 23, 2012

Me too ciounoi, well I'm about 10 minutes outside the city right after the airport. Such a competitive area. I've had a few interviews this summer, and today I have a 2nd interview for a building sub job. I'm feeling good about it, but it's always a frustrating process.

I was bummed b/c I had an LTS last year where I student taught, but the few openings that popped up over the summer were given to teachers that were pink slipped.

30. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 24, 2012

Have you ever seen Shawshank Redemption? (If you have) Sometimes I think that the best way to get a job (get parole) is to bring a level of "I don't give an eff anymore" to your interview (like Red). The ONE interview I went on this summer, I sent a letter that didn't necessarily highlight my abilities etc. as much as speaking from the heart, even if it wasn't as smoothly crafted. I landed the interview (but not the job).

31. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 24, 2012

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions! I have indeed gotten better with time... I look back at the interviews I have from 18 months ago and blush, they were that bad!

Also, I posed this idea once on the forums and was nearly laughed out of the park (please be gentle!), but I really do think sometimes my physical appearance does play a part in job decisions. I'm five feet tall and have to dress to the nines to look anywhere near my age. I look like a gigantic nerd (possibly because I am a gigantic nerd...) and have glasses with lenses thicker than my pinky (unfortunately not kidding... see previous comment about gigantic nerd). I speak and write well and have a good vocabulary. As much as I try, I just really look like... well, a nerd. You can just see the thought bubbles during the interview.

"She just used the word dichotomy in a sentence. She'll be talking way over the heads of our learning support kids."

"She looks like my teenage daughter. The kids in the EBD class won't take her seriously."

"Look at those glasses. She totally works in her head. There's no way she'd actually be a good teacher because that requires you to apply what you know."

And yes, I've gotten nicer versions of all of those comments before.

So yes, sometimes I wonder if that holds me back too.

32. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

HopelessTeacher,

Today was my first day of subbing for 2012-2013, school started on August 20th (I have started started subbing in March of 2012. During lunch time, I met one of the teachers who asked me : "Do you still want to teach?"; I told him yes and he smiled and told me that he does not want to teach anymore.
    How sad!!!

33. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

I used to think that was the reason why I wasn't scoring interviews too. I am in my late 20's but STILL look like a high school student.

Honestly it isn't. That's why administrators will ask you about your classroom management. That is the ONLY question that will make or break your interview. You can look young... but how can you handle a classroom, build positive student relationships, AND still get them to respect you?

if you need some ideas... or even to review your classroom management, I HIGHLY reading this guy's blogs on classroom management tips AND reading his book: http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/

Here's a hard fact I learned from one of my Professional Development:
    There is a very high BURNOUT rate in the teaching profession. Between the third and fifth year of teaching, 50% of the new teachers drop out of the profession.

Teaching is not for everybody. The work is long and at times, very draining. how have to be truly dedicated to succeed and want to stay in teaching. Unfortunately, there are a lot of teachers who have their career... are already burned out... and feel they can't quit because of the job economy.

If you sub for more than a year, work in the most toughest schools, but are STILL passionate about teaching... employers will see that in interviews.

34. Tek

Tek Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

I'm here to tell you, my friend, that THAT in and of itself is not holding you back.

The fact that YOU THINK THAT is what's holding you back.

It's a lie. Don't believe in it. Focus on being the best teacher you can be. That's what ultimately matters.

35. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

One of the more annoying comments I hear from teachers is, in seeing them again after the summer or whatever and my continuing to sub... and them asking, "So, you don't want to be a teacher?" as if I sub by choice.

Maybe in the past, bored housewifes or retired ex-teachers, looking for the occasional diversion or some extra spending money, would substitute teach. That is a relic. It surely still happens, but not nearly as it used to.

It is now the waiting room for teaching, or the ash pan of teaching.

36. jenud97

jenud97 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

I have been where you all have been in. I subbed while wanting to teach. I decided to interview for mini contracts and did not have that much competition b/c people were still wanting the perm jobs. Well in the first week of school, I got slotted into a perm one year position which could lead to my next year as long as I don't screw up. It's a school literally three minutes from my house and I didn't think it was at all possible. But after 100 applications, two job fairs, several interviews, I am exactly where I want to be. Don't give up hope!