Job search after first year of teaching?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by yellowdaisies, Nov 2, 2012.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 2, 2012

I know it's really early in the year but...

I love my job - my school, my grade level, my coworkers. But I do not love the area DH and I had to move to in order for me to have this job. Both of us are homesick for our former area. His family and most of our friends live in that area, it's less expensive, and we just like it better! DH actually still works in the former area (hasn't found a job here) and is commuting an hour each way. Moving to the former area and me commuting an hour each way is not an option because traffic patterns would make that hour more like 2. (Did I mention I'm in So Cal?:p)

Has anyone out there gotten a new job after their first year of teaching? I know I will need to ask my P for a letter of rec - isn't it awkward to have that conversation when of course you may not get another job and will need to stay at your current school?

I know having a year of teaching experience has to help a little, right? We moved in the first place because the job market is much tougher where we used to live.

I'm just looking for some insight. We may decide to stay here another year, but this is something DH and I are seriously considering. Jobs outside of teaching aren't an option because I need to finish year 2 of BTSA (CA's induction program) so I can clear my credential. So we will stay here if there are no jobs to be found near our former area.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 2, 2012

How long have you been in your new area? DH & I moved 1/2 across the country 20 + years ago. I do remember that it took us a couple of years to feel really settled here.

If you do decide to look for a job in your old area, let your P know that you are looking for a job closer to family, but that if you don't find something then you will be returning.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2012

I left my first job after two years because I didn't like the area I was living in. The school was great, which is why I stayed the second year, but everything outside of school was terrible. My administration was extremely supportive. I didn't expect them to be negative or anything, but I was actually pretty shocked about how helpful they were. I got letters of rec from everyone and they even let me know of postings they knew about for the city I wanted to move to, and they seemed genuinely happy for me when I got a new position. They had also told me that I would have a job there basically right up until school started if I wasn't able to find something else. My district technically had a policy that you were supposed to resign by the end of April if you weren't coming back the next year, so that was extremely generous of them.

I actually got the first position I interviewed for when I started looking, and having the experience definitely helped. They hired me because of my experience with RtI. I also got several phone calls throughout the summer for interviews even though I'd only filled out applications for about two weeks. I think 1-2 years of experience is pretty much perfect for job hunting...you're not a total "newbie" that they have to train in everything, but you don't have enough experience to make a bigger dent in the school budget.

I have to admit my old school was WAY better than this one. My grade level teammates are awesome, which is pretty much what keeps me going, but administration is downright awful. The principal that hired me in the spring was replaced by a new P and new AP so I didn't know what I was getting into before I took the job. I think it's especially hard for me because I had such an awesome administration at the building level before. Sadly, I think some teachers just don't know any different. Even so, I love the new area I'm living in so much that I still don't regret leaving my old school. That might change as time goes on, but for the time being when I think about living where I used to, I'm just so glad I got out of there! Life is about so much more than work!

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 2, 2012

I switched schools after my first year. Many of my friends did too. It is definitely common. I actually found I got more calls with a little experience.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2012

Could you live halfway between both towns so you each have only a half hour commute?

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 3, 2012

I found a new job after one year. I had a lot of interviews too.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 3, 2012

Thanks for the responses everyone! :)

To answer the questions - we've only been in the area since June. The problem with this area is that we can't live here long term - we can squeak by renting a one bedroom apartment but we'd never be able to afford to buy even a condo here.

We can't live halfway between both areas because that would put us in some pretty undesirable areas. I actually already commute 25 minutes and DH commutes an hour the opposite way. His commute would be much longer if he commuted during regular hours like I have to. He commutes later (9am and 6:30-7pm) to avoid the worst part of rush hour traffic, which would be during my commute times. The joys of So Cal, I tell you. ;)

I think when the time comes I'll just see if enough jobs are posted in the other area or commutable to the other area to make it worth it. Last year there weren't enough. I would be perfectly happy staying at my school another year, since I do love the school. Maybe I'll leave after 2 years. It's just nice to hear that others have done it successfully, so thank you!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

I was a full year maternity leave replacement my first year, so my situation was a bit different, but there were no positions for me the next year unfortunately and I had to search. NJ is never an easy place to job search, but I had a portfolio full of work samples and artifacts, and I found it much easier to interview because I had a whole year of experience to pull from. I landed 2 jobs, chose 1 and am now in my 9th year there. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Is renting a 2 br apartment a choice?

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 4, 2012

Not here, but in the other area it is. Two bedroom apts there cost about the same as one bedroom apts here.

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

11. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Nov 5, 2012

I have this same problem in some ways. I am a teacher at a small christian school but I know that in the future I will want to go to a public school in the area. this is my first year teaching and I am very blessed to have a teaching job I know!