Job outlook in your area?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by runsw/scissors, Nov 1, 2006.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 1, 2006

I am looking for a different possition next school year. The elementary market in my area is glutted. I would like to keep teaching 5th grade social studies if possible, preferably in a parochial school. How is the job market where you are? How is the pay generally speaking? Is there a high demand for Catholic school teachers? I am in Nebraska and would like to stay close to home. Hopefully I can stay in state (so as not to need a different license) but I am not completely turned off to relocating.

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2006

Not sure about the Catholic schools, but the Milwaukee Public School is always looking for teachers. I personally would not want the inner city, but the pay is pretty good and benefits are really great.

In the suburb area of Milwaukee, the Waukesha School District in WI pays very well from what I have been told by one of my kids's moms. Great benefits too. Not a lot of turnover in that district.

We do have many great Catholic and private schools, but I am unsure as to what their pay and outlook is. Sorry if that is what your really hoping for.

4. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Nov 3, 2006

We are very short of teachers around here - can't even get relief teachers on some days. New graduates start on about $42000, $62000 after 10 years.

Sadly though, we are nowhere near Nebraska! :)

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 3, 2006

How could an American get hired in Australia? I have always wanted to teach abroad!

6. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

Hi Runs/wscissors.

I am currently in australia about to study teaching (elementary) and their is a demand for teachers in australia. Especially if your a male and elementary teacher. But their is a general demand for teachers, regardless. However some things to consider in Australia, when coming for teacher is that the Australian tax rates are higher and the currency is weaker then that in America. So when looking for information regarding teachers, probably good to keep those things in mind. I am currently in Western Australia and (to my knowledge) all you need is your specialty subject and a bachelor/diploma of education.

Say you want to become a English/Soc & Env teacher

You only need a Bach Arts-Eng/Soc & Env and a diploma of education etc.

And to my knowledge, I dont need different licences to teach in other states. But im not 100% on that

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 4, 2006

What is Soc & Env? Is that like social studies (history, geography, cultures, etc.)?

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Nov 4, 2006

I always thought IL had a huge need for teachers, guess not. Perhaps some do, but definitely NOT NE IL.

As for Parochial schools, I think it's admirable that you want to work at one but know that Catholic schools don't hire as often as their public school counterparts since they're smaller and don't needs as much help as often as they do.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2006

Ours do. Lots of people start in Catholic schools, then go on to the higher paying public schools once they have a little experience.

But the job outlook on Long Island NY is abysmal!

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Nov 4, 2006

The job outlook in NC is good. There are still plenty of schools needing teachers in all areas Pre-K-12, especially EC teachers. Charlotte is an especially good area to look for a job-they just had a job fair today. There are so many people that are continuously moving to our area, they can't build schools fast enough.

11. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, Society and Environment consists of History, Economics, Geography, Political and Legal Studies and I think theres another... can't remember though.