Job outlook in CA

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachornot, Aug 13, 2012.

1. teachornot

teachornot Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

What is the job outlook in California? I got my masters and substituted for a few years. Is there hope for getting a job this year? Will my masters make it less likely to get a job?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Hi and welcome.

When does school start in CA??? Around here we still have 3 weeks, but a good portion of the country has already gone back.

Have you pretty much plastered the state with a killer resume and a well written cover letter?

What do you teach? (Please say Chemistry, Physics, or high school math)

4. teachornot

teachornot Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Sorry, I didn't think of including the grade level. I want to teach elementary. I was told there isn't much hope since schools either started or will start in a few weeks.

I write a new cover letter for every position I apply for. I'm considering writing a general cover letter that can be used in general.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

What part of CA? Schools around here (CA) are starting up, some this week, and some next.

In this area where I live now, on the central coast, there are no teaching jobs. It's always been pretty tough and saturated though. In the last place I lived in, however, there have actually been several job openings. I know if I was still living there (99% positive), I would be back in a classroom, teaching full time. Alas, I'm stuck here due to hubby's job.

Anyways, I would look through edjoin to see where the openings are at. Are you willing to relocate? Say, from southern CA to the central valley?

6. teachornot

teachornot Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

I'm in the Pasadena area right now. If the job outlook is the same, I would stay. But I could consider relocating if the job outlook is different.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

Well, I just hopped onto edjoin and typed in elementary teacher. 297 job postings popped up. They are scattered throughout CA. I know one year I was looking, I just applied to as many jobs as I could everywhere. If I ended up getting hired, then I was willing to relocate to that town. It worked out where I was able to get a job in the town I was living in. But, if you are not tied down to Pasadena, then it may be worth it to apply to any and all elementary jobs.

ETA: I just did the advance search, selected all elementary teaching jobs (kinder, 1-3, 4-6, k-8, etc) and clicked on all counties. 315 popped up.

8. teachornot

teachornot Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Thanks! I'm asking while I am applying because I heard that there were lots of teachers that lost their jobs and jobs are likely to go to them. I really wanted a good gauge on whether I should apply all over CA or if I should expand even further.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

Hmm, yes, it's VERY tough right now. I know in the district I'm working in now, class sizes just increased from 20 to 30 students. So, we lost a lot of teachers that way.

But, like I said, some areas are still hiring actual teachers. So, it's all about just applying everywhere that you can.

Good luck.

10. teachornot

teachornot Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Yikes! Sounds like applying everywhere sounds like the safest way! Thanks!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Lots of candidates have been sending out resumes since March.

You really DO want to leave no stone unturned if you have any hope of securing an interview at this late date.

12. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

Apply everywhere!!! I live in socal and currently commute 74 miles one way for a job. I am hoping it changes. . .

13. WanderinTeacher

WanderinTeacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Whoa! And they said spec. ed is in demand!?

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

Have you already been looking for jobs, or are you just starting the search now?

It is possible. I applied all over the state (almost), but ended up getting hired to teach first grade at a charter in So Cal and only having to move about an hour away. The only other calls for interviews I got were for charters and schools in the central valley. Someone from my cohort got an elementary job in the bay area. There ARE jobs, but the market is very, very tough.

15. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 14, 2012

There's an opening at my school. It's SoCal, you can pm me for details if you like.

16. teachornot

teachornot Rookie

Aug 14, 2012

PMed!

Yellowdaisies: I've been looking for a few years without much luck. I asked about the prospect in CA because I started wondering if it was my problem or if it's tough in the state.

Btw, are there any good sources for charter school jobs? I look at online postings, but don't see much

17. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 14, 2012

Caicos.org is a good website for private and (sometimes) charter schools.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 14, 2012

I got hired through a charter school job fair back in March. Many charters I know of post their openings on Edjoin.
    This website: http://www.calcharters.org lists the charters in CA. There are a TON in the LA area where you live. I guess it couldn't hurt to contact them, send out resumes, etc. I've also seen charters post on Craigslist, actually.

Good luck to you! :) I really think elementary, especially in CA, especially in So Cal, is one of the absolute toughest markets, but NOT impossible!

19. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I've been looking at the elementary job market throughout CA on and off for about 6 years now. Other than perhaps charters, or if you know the right people, the odds are you won't get anywhere as there are hundreds of applicants for any given position. They do continue to hire well after school has started, but sorry, the best course of action is to get a more hireable credential.

20. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

What would be a more hireable credential? I've been looking for 7 years and would love to know!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Chemistry, Physics, high school math.

22. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

Had I known that, I might would have gone that way. But MacGuffin was talking about elementary, so I was wondering what that would be? Special ed? Elementary just seems pretty hopeless

23. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Aug 18, 2012

Yes Multiple Subject and Social Studies are pretty much the biggest glut, there hasn't been a shortage there for decades and probably never will be. At the moment, more hireable is probably pretty relative, since I understand the usual suspects of Math, Science, Spec Ed, ESL also have lots of applicants in most of CA, but for those subjects there could be shortages again in a few years. Who knows, just don't believe anything the NEA says on the topic.