Job outlook and salary?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by educatingme, May 26, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

May 26, 2007

My daughter is a sophomore in college. She started college with the goal to become an Occupational Therapist (money!). We (and almost everyone who knows her) have been telling her since early high school that she would make a great teacher, although, we hadn't mentioned it since she started college.

Last night she was practically in tears. She no longer wants to be an Occupational Therapist (she doesn't like Psychology...and there's a lot of Psychology involved). She's been working at a Daycare since her Senior year in high school...loves it and it shows. She's thinking she wants to be a teacher. But, she's afraid. She said half of the kids enrolled in college are there for a teaching degree. What if there are no jobs when she graduates? And, even if she does get a job, she's concerned about money. Cost of living going up...will she be paid enough as a teacher?

I am in school for an education degree...and yet, I still can't answer these questions for her, as they aren't ones I've ever raised.

Anyone know how I can find out what the job outlook will be when she graduates (as I said, she's a sophomore)? Specifically in Indiana (Indianapolis)? What about salary outlook? Are there areas of study that pay more than others? Any suggestions?

She's a brilliant girl (bias, aside!), in two Honor Societies, very focused and goal oriented. Makes great grades. I have no doubt she will succeed at whatever she chooses to do.

3. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

May 26, 2007

Special education and bilingual ed are easiest. Elementary ed is the hardest.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 26, 2007

I'm not familiar about the cost of living and prices in Indiana, but where I live I am able to do fine on my salary. I even bought a house my second year of teaching. Sure- I don't have alot of extra money, but it's enough for me to live on. Plus, in most schools you can make extra money by tutoring, summer school, etc. It's very common at that point in your college education to get freaked out about what you want to do! Has she tried visiting schools to maybe observe teachers and see if she would like it?

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 26, 2007

If she is interested in elem. ed., I would suggest getting dual certified. Maybe in special ed?

6. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

May 26, 2007

As a single woman she will be fine on 30-40 thousand a year. It isn't enough to raise a family on comfortably if you only have one income. Childcare for an infant would easily eat up half of your income, childcare for two would eat up most of your income.