Job opportunity...debating

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Apr 1, 2008

I applied to many districts for elementary ed. teaching jobs and was just contacted by a high school that was interested in interviewing me for an tv production teaching job. The person wanted to know if I would be eligible for a certificate in the field.

My BA's concentration was in this field - over 40 credits in the area. I have to apply for the certificate and I found out that I won't have to take additional courses (via an alternate route program, which I thought I might have to do) since I already went through a traditional teaching program (Masters in Elementary Education).

My dilemmas are as follow:

- Do I really want to teach high schoolers? No...my dream grades are K-5. But, I also still like my old field and maybe this wouldn't be too bad since it's a "fun" elective class.

- I have to apply for the certificate and find out if I have enough courses to get it (almost $200...ugh), which takes a few weeks to obtain. I suppose I could interview for the position and just let the person know that my transcript is under evaluation.

- What happens if I'm offered this position before landing interviews for elementary ed. teaching jobs? It seems like there aren't many candidates for this field...otherwise, I wouldn't have been contacted. I literally sent out over 50 applications and school districts will be calling to interview people soon (hopefully me lol).

What it comes down to is that this isn't my dream job, but I don't want to cancel it out right away. What would you do? I suppose the best answer would be to interview for the position, but I really don't want to waste the person's time if it's not my first choice. Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2008

I'll tell you a secret which most elementary ed people don't know, as long as you promise not to tell anyone else:

Teaching high schoolers is a blast! You'll love it if you try it.

4. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Apr 1, 2008

LOL - thanks Cassie. I guess it's just awkward because I'm only 6-7 years old than the seniors....plus, I love working with the younger grades so it will be hard to adjust.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2008

Is that the big secret?! :lol: I too have thought about teaching HS. Just recently I've taken an interest in history, specifically English history (thank you Tudors) so I'm beginning to wonder what it would take for that...

6. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

I sub in mostly high school. At first I subbed there b/c the hours are perfect for me to still be able to pick up my kids at their elem. school. But now I sub there b/c I really like teaching high school. :)

But I'm not certified (yet) to teach high school (alternative certification), so I'll have to start with teaching middle school. I'm praying for a 7th or 8th grade math job.

Michele