Job opportunities, but haaaate Math & Science

Discussion in 'High School' started by serendipity1, Jun 11, 2012.

1. serendipity1

serendipity1 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I have a BA in the Humanities and will be getting my teaching credential next year. I want to teach Social Studies & English... but there's this nagging, really annoying voice in my head telling me that I should take the Math or Science route since everyone says that's where all the opportunities are. The thing is, I really can't see myself being happy teaching Math or Science – not even Earth Science, which I find incredibly fascinating, but can't picture myself actually teaching. Let's not even get into how I feel about Math.

I know that the answer is to follow my heart. But my head keeps asking, am I doomed? Will it take me forever to find a job, if at all?

Help. :unsure:

Edit: I realize job opportunities also highly depend on one's location. If it helps, I live in the Los Angeles area and would like to stay here or at least within Southern California. I am also considering Northern California if need be.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2012

As long as you "haaaate" math and science, please don't teach them.

Finding jobs in English or social science is challenging right now and will remain challenging for the foreseeable future - but that doesn't mean that there will be NO jobs, just that they'll be hard to find and the competition will be fierce.

That being the case, you need to do what it takes to make yourself stand out from the other candidates. So what sets you apart? What have you accomplished in your chosen subject areas? What kind of experience have you racked up in working with kids who are the ages you want to teach? How are you with technology?

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

If you are willing to relocate, that will increase your chances of a job.

Teaching is hard enough without hating your content area. Students will see through any fake enthusiasm which will make the job even harder.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 11, 2012

Please don't teach a subject you hate. My 9th grade math teacher was a trained English teacher who tacked on a math certification before the standards in NY became more difficult. She constantly reminded us how much she hates math and her attitude was horrible. The funny thing is, she's apparently a fantastic English teacher.

But she killed math for me. If it wasn't for my INCREDIBLE 10th grade math teacher, I probably wouldn't be going down this path.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

I parlayed a LTS MS Science position into a Full Time MS Social Studies position.

Why not do both?

7. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

I wouldn't recommend teaching subjects you hate. It makes going to work difficult.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Kids will pick up on your attitude right away. If you hate the material, it will make things that much more difficult for you.

One of the things my kids get a kick out of is how much I like math; they sense my appreciation of the material even if they don't happen to share it.

Not to mention the fact that teaching well is hard enough; teaching something you hate tha much is so much harder.

Do what's necessary to get a job in the areas you love.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

Please do not teach Earth Science. Please.

So many biology teachers addon the endorsement and do nothing to foster kids' interest or curiosity in the subject as they themselves are just marking off days on the calendar.

If kids pick up noting else, they will pick up (and emulate!) lack of enthusiasm for what you are teaching.

Also, teaching ES is not as easy as people like to make it out to be. It is unique among the high school science offerings in that it can and should tie together all branches of science, humanities, current events, etc and promote a great deal of critical thinking. This requires a teacher well-versed in the sciences.

It also generally does not use challenging math, so it's a great way to boost struggling students' self-efficacy in science. This is actually my single favorite thing about teaching it.

The short-changing of ES education is clearly a hot button issue with me.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2012

(Thanks for checking in, mollydoll!)

I wouldn't go so far as to declare that earth science is unique in tying all those disciplines together - but the ability to link one's discipline(s) to all the others is, I think, a hallmark of the better-equipped teacher and probably correlates fairly highly with effectiveness in reaching students.

serendipity1, if your heart really and truly is in the humanities, stay there, and make yourself the best darned teacher of humanities that you can.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

If you look at the standards for the other HS science subjects, there just isn't nearly as much room for interdisciplinary teaching.

I can work in chemistry, physics, biology, art, politics etc without trying or moving out of the scope of my content standards. (with all f the emphasis on testing and test prep, I couldn't get away with this without tying every scrap of instruction to one or more standards)

That's really want I meant. Of course every subject is interdisciplinary to at least some extent.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2012

True. I'd love to see serendipity incorporating her stated fascination with earth science into humanities. At some point, mark my words! there will be a kid for whom that resonates like a well-cast bell.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

Yeah, definitely.

For my class final project, I had the kids do anything they wanted (with approval) as long as it touched on topics we covered.

I got:

Clay masks used to represent eclipses
    Short story about conflict minerals
    Music video about global warming
    Interpretive dance about tornado formation
    Weather report for a week on Venus
    Rap song about continental drift

Bunch of other really cool things.

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

Didn't mean to drag the thread off topic! Sorry.

There are jobs around for all subject. Some areas are easier to come by than others, but the jobs are out there.

I teach at a large school and we had several new social studies teachers this year.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2012

I'm not sure you did drag it off topic, molly, actually.

16. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

I just made that jump from social studies to Language Arts. I am certified in MS Math, Sci, Soc Stu, and LA.

I have taught math and enjoy the heck out of it. I would never accept a job teaching high school math. It is knowing what your own limits are and how well you can do things.

I took a job for next year teaching LA 8th and World History. Cool I can deal with that. Now I am teaching LA8, WH, AND 9th LA AND Creative Writing. Personally I feel bad for the creative writing students. P does not want to change the elective subject as students already signed up for it.