JOB OFFER!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2016

After commuting back and forth to school for the last 4 days, all I can say is that I'm EXHAUSTED at the end of the day! And today was only my 1st in-service day.... My honest opinion right now is that I'm gonna make this a learning and growing year for teaching the content at these grade levels.... I dunno if I could do this commute for a 2nd or 3rd year.... And the weather has been good!!! The commute will get worse once it gets rainy or snowy. Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for the job. It's too bad it's not closer to home but I am happy to be working. Does this make sense?

2. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

Is there any way to find housing closer? Can you move? Is there anyone to carpool with? I don't remember if you have family or a spouse with a different job or if you are free to move.

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2016

No. Moving is not really on the table. Kids go to school here and are pretty established. Can't carpool. It's just me, the car, and a long drive.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2016

Where's Google or Apple I- Teleport when you need it?!
    :cool:

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2016

Audio books can be your friend! Think of how much reading you can get done!

otterpop likes this.
  6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

I guess then you grin and bear it for one year and get going with resumes in the spring. Does your area get a lot of snow and ice? Do they call off school? I was teaching at a school about 60 miles away. The traffic wasn't bad but it was a long drive. I was able to carpool with someone about halfway so that really helped. Maybe the drive will be a way for you to do your thinking about your day.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2016

I have a much shorter (best time ever was 21 minutes), but still relatively rough commute (it'd be 50-60 minutes if I left when school gets out and left home to get to school just on time). As such, last year, and I think this year, since we're looking to buy a house and it might increase the commute, my plan is to have the weekdays be a bit longer, and plan it out so that I don't need to come in at all on weekends or holidays. Basically, decrease the days needing to come in, and drive when it will be the least amount of commute time. Just think - as teachers, we don't have quite as many days of the year that we have to go in!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2016

Seconding the audio books. One of my close friends moved 90 minutes from his job so his wife could attend graduate school an equal distance away in the opposite direction. He's a podcast addict so the commute was perfect for him.

otterpop likes this.
  9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 6, 2016

Things will work out for you!

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 6, 2016

You have your work cut out for you. Long, tiring commute in sometimes bad weather. Little time to prepare plans. I've been there

11. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Aug 7, 2016

I may have missed this but do you have planning every day? One year I had an hour long commute with no traffic. I got to school early so I could get some stuff done (not a lot of people at this school got her early- they preferred to stay late). This way, I was on the road before a lot of traffic and if there was an accident or something I had some extra time.

I also used every minute of my planning time. It was hard some days bc a friend sometimes wanted to come in, and she liked to listen to music and do more talking than working, but I would just give very short answers and sometimes say something like, "Oh I'm sorry, I'm really focused on this. What did you say?" She eventually got the point!

But coming in about 30 minutes early and really using my planning I was able to leave on time. I did have to take some work home bc I was new to the district, grade, and two contents I was teaching.

I ended up leaving bc it wasn't the district I was hoping to teach in and I really didn't like the school. I was able to get a "stepping stone" job in the district I originally wanted. But, if I was able to last at that school with the commute and crazy people, I promise you can get through this year's commute! :)

DressageLady likes this.