Job offer on the plate....what should I do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by EZLN1, Oct 8, 2008.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 8, 2008

So, here's the situation

I have been subbing for the Spanish teacher for the past 3 1/2 weeks. The job was originally intended for a week or two, but there was a serious of events that led the teacher to move on to another job faster than the school had planned during this time period. In the meantime, they interviewed candidates, and hired a new teacher. The newly hired teacher quit after 1 day and I was called to sub on Friday when the new teacher showed up and informed the school on her decision earlier that morning. Needless to say, everyone was a bit shocked at how quickly she gave up on the school.

The school has been scrambling to find the right replacement, and the P called me today to tell me that they haven't found anyone with enough experience teaching HS, or anyone who they feel can teach. My interpretation of that is that they haven't found anyone whom the students would respond to. She offered me the job, with the assurance that they would offer me help not only with the curriculum (there's 1 other Spanish teacher), but with any other help to transition me into the position. She told me to take my time and think about it. This would be my 1st full time job as I just recently got my teachingcredentials in May.

So here's my thinking
    1. If I accept the job, I would be teaching out of my credentials. I am a Social Science teacher, but do speak Spanish. I love speaking Spanish, but I would be lying if I said I am passionate about the prospect of teaching it.

2. With that said, part of me wants to take it because I'm not sure the school will find someone right now whom the students will accept. Worse of all, what happens if they hire someone and find themselves in the same position a few weeks from now? That really worries me. With that said, numerous students have told me why I just dont become their full time teacher. take that for what it's worth.

3. My biggest worry is the transition from sub to full time teacher. The only contact the students have had with me is as a sub (this year and last year), and I;m worried they will not see me as their teacher but just as a sub.

4. Even though the subject isn't my passion, part of me is intrigued by the challenge. And judging from the various teachers they have had, I don't think I could do any worse than previous teachers. My gf even stressed that the students have nowhere to go but up since they know very very minimal Spanish as it is.

5. The school has just recently moved to my community. I dont drive, and it doesnt take me any more than 20 minutes total to get to the school on buses/walking.

Has anyone been in a similar position? Any feedback/opinions would be appreciated

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2008

I would take it! It might not be what you are comfortable with, but sounds like something you could very well adjust to. It will get your foot in the door with this particular school should a job in your certification open up next year.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2008

TAKE THE JOB!

5. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

I saw your name here and felt compelled to read and respond... Follow your heart. This is not the same as staying in your comfort zone.

I think you should give this an honest try. It seems to have fallen in your lap and in my experience it is usually those things that turn out the best... go with the flow... try it. You will have help and support and are really saving their butts... at some point that will come in handy... Try it. Take the job...

6. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

Most teaching jobs I've had weren't in the age bracket I thought I wanted....and I ended up loving them. You must deserve it or they wouldn't offer it to you. Take it, try it, I think you will enjoy it!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2008

I would take it! It sounds like a great opportunity and a way for you to get into a school district. Good luck with your decision!

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

I would definitely take it as well. Even though it's not teaching exactly what you want...you're still teaching and that is HUGE especially with everything going on with the economy and specifically in education.

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

Every single teaching job I have ever had was completely out of my comfort zone. They all ended up being great! TAKE THE JOB!!!

10. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 9, 2008

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I think I've been hesitant mostly out of fear of the unknown.

I've only had the chance to talk to one of the 5 Spanish classes, and they all gave me positive feedback on the possibility of me becoming their teacher:) They all feel comfortable with me, and feel that they run the risk of not connecting with another teacher. They just stressed that they want to do stuff aside from translating texts.

I then talked to the principal and told her that I would be interested in the job. She told me that I would have to schedule a date/time for an interview, and do a demo lesson plan. So yes, I have officially thrown my hat into the ring. We'll see how it goes.

11. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

Great! I'm glad that you decided to go for it and wish you the best of luck!!

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2008

I have always found a passion for whatever I was assigned to teach and hopefully you will too. That's what is fun about subbing - trying new subjects! So I would say, go for it. The future could go in the direction you want it to!
    OK, now I am confused about why you would involve your students and their opinions in your job search. If you get the job full time, you go in there and start in with your rules and expectations - as their teacher, not as a friend, and you will go far.

13. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Oct 9, 2008

I say take it!

But one another note...Dont you find it funny that youve bene in the classroom and your obviously very capable of doing a great job and they stillllll want you to make an interview time, lesson plan, etc.?
    They should just hire you!

Sorry thats just my feelings on the situation.:)

14. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 9, 2008

The reason I asked for the opinion of the students is because they were highly upset that the school went ahead and hired someone without their input. The new teacher was hired, without ever giving a demo lesson plan, and well, the end result was horrible. Hence. she quit after 1 day and the students pleaded with the principal that they at least have some type of input on the decision,whether it meant being at the interview, or giving feedback on a demo lesson. That's why I went ahead and got students feedback today. I wouldn't have minded if they would have blast me and said that they wanted someone else...ultimately, the one's who have to live with the new teacher are the students, not the staff/admin. if more schools gave students feedback on the new hirings, you wouldn't see such a high turnover rates in inner cities. that's my 2 cents on that

and to be honest, I'm kind of bummed about having to do a demo lesson. Not only has the VP seen me teach (I student taught for him last year), but I've been keeping the classes afloat though I was given hardly any lesson plan. To be exact, I've had 3 lesson plans that I've had to stretch out for over 3 weeks. I've had to supplement it with my own curriculum.

anyway, everything is set for tuesday. that gives me a few days to come up with a demo lesson.

15. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

Good luck. Sounds like a real opportunity for you.

16. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 9, 2008

Yeah, it is annoying, but sometimes they still need to go through the paces. Even though from reading further of our OP, considering his having student taught under the P, the demo lesson plan seems to be a a little redundant.

17. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

yes - I think it is a formality. Most of the time the BOE requires certain paperwork/steps etc. I believe it is yours... don't sweat it...

18. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 20, 2008

It's official....the P talked to me early in the morning, and offered me the position. It's gonna take a few days to get all the paperwork done, and for them to write their formal job offer. Until then, I'll still be the sub and we're gonna wait until everything gets dealt with before we make the announcement to the students. I have 2 upcoming days in which I won't be at the school (wed, and thurs) this week, so I will use those days to get work done. Going to start planning after school though and begin to sketch a rough outline for both the beginner and advance spanish classes. I'm really excited not just for the fact that this is my 1st full time position, but because I have the freedom to teach anything I want with regards to content. They understand that the classes will have a heavy social science/raza studies slant, and their OK with that:D

:)

19. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Oct 20, 2008

Your position sounds so exciting. I am sure the students will be excited to have you stay, and it sounds like you should enjoy your position. good luck. I wish that for me finding a position would be as easy as yours has sounded!

20. smalltowngal

Oct 20, 2008

Congrats on the job!

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2008

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that you got the job!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I bet the kids will be thrilled!!!

23. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 21, 2008

Congrats to you! How great for you to have a job and it's great for the kids that they now don't have to have yet another teacher this year. Best wishes to you!

24. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2008

Congratulations! I think taking the job was definitely the right thing.

It could be really neat having a language class with overtones of social studies. You could actually probably bring in a lot of specific issues a regular social studies teacher wouldn't have time for.

If you're there for more than a few days, I'm sure the kids already think of you as their teacher.

25. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 21, 2008

Congratulations and I think you should take the job.I just wonder why you are being asked to do a demo lesson and interview if you are already teaching the subject at the school.It does seem strange that someone would quit a position after only one day!Keep us informed.