Job Offer! Now what?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DSD, Jun 3, 2013.

1. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 3, 2013

I got an offer today! I'm very happy because it's a pretty ideal position at a school that is small and conveniently located. Plus the pay is a bit higher than public schools in the district. The offer is contingent on getting my certification (my first fingerprints were "unreadable") and a background check, the latter of which I'm not worried about.

But I'm a bit unclear about what happens next. The school sent me a letter of intent via email that needs to be returned by Wednesday. It doesn't state the exact salary, which it says will be communicated in a separate letter once the budget has been approved. The principal did specify the salary in an email and on the phone. Is this typical? I've never signed a letter of intent before. Also, do I need send a separate letter accepting the position?

Thanks and good luck to all the job seekers out there!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2013

Congratulations!

My state is at-will and we don't have contracts, so no advice.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

DSD, our letters if intent are very simple. We simply state whether or not we plan to return to the district. Or do we have plans to retire or would like a transfer.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2013

Congrats!!! What will you be teaching? Be sure to go over to the jobs thread to add your story!!

As for advice, I don't have much, except your salary will probably be what you were given but they may need a little wiggle room if there are budget constraints.

6. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 4, 2013

Thanks everyone.

I just spoke to HR, and it turns out the position is at-will. I was a bit freaked out by it because I've never worked without a contract, but, looking at it more objectively and researching what it means, it doesn't seem so strange.

7. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 4, 2013

Congrats!