Job Offer- LTS

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, Aug 24, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

The district I demoed for just called and offered me a 12 week LTS job. It'd run from the end of September to Christmas Break.

I'm tempted to take it. It would really help me get my foot in the door for the next year.

I'm scared because what will I do after Christmas?! Hopefully I'd land another LTS, but there is no guarantee. Since I wouldn't have my house payment by then (I'd sign it over to the bank if it isn't sold by then), I could day to day sub. Chances are that I'd work every day since they would know me so well.

It's a huge gamble. I'm thinking about it.

3. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

I don't really have any advice but to go with your gut. Could you possibly ask about your chances of landing full time classroom teacher if you do take the lts? Or even about how much would you actually sub after?

4. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

This was the district that you just demoed with this week?

If you don't have any other major bills, I would say to take it. The job you're in now sounds awful :( However, I agree with the poster above me who suggested that you ask about subbing or landing a full time position.

Go with your gut and do what is best for you!! :)

5. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Aug 24, 2013

Maybe if multiple teachers leave your current school, they'll realize they're doing something wrong. (You did say one or two had 'appointments' also, right?)

Personally, I'd go with almost anything over the current situation it sounds like you're in.

Does that mean you'd have to stick it out there another month? Or would you leave ASAP?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

I'd stick it out another month just so I got paid.
    I've found out some truth in the 'appointments'. I'll go update "Updating..." so it is less confusing!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 24, 2013

If you can afford it, I'd go for it. Given how many others at your current school are also looking, it doesn't seem to be an appealing place to work.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

Is there any chance that the teacher you are doing the LTS will not return. I did an LTS when I was first teaching and they knew when they hired me for the fall semester that the teacher would not be back in the spring and they would hire me for that also.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

I don't know. I know someone that knows someone that knows her. Maybe I should send them to investigate.

I'm tempted to call her tomorrow and ask her if anyone else at the school is pregnant. If there was someone else due in January or February and I would have a chance at that LTS, I'd be more inclined to gamble on it.

10. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 24, 2013

I took a maternity leave in October last year that actually ran from Sept to Nov. Then another teacher got preg and they had me LTS from March to May. In between I subbed almost every day for them. I worked most of the year and only subbed for one school. I didn't end up getting a full time job with them but I got a lot of valuable experience and it was nice to go to the same school every day where I knew everyone. Good LucK

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2013

I normally wouldn't suggest leaving a regular, full-time teaching position for a long-term sub position, but in your case I think you should take the LTS.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

Given the horrific situation you're in, I would take the LTS job as long as your parents are willing to have you keep living with them. For your own personal sanity, you need to get out of your current charter school.

Think of this as your "transition year" from NC to MI. Think of all the interviews you got this year. You'll be just as ambitious next year and if things don't come through with a contract with the LTS school, I think your experience as a LTS in MI will help you land a public school position for next year.

Like Caesar said, normally I'd never tell anyone to leave a full time, full year job for a LTS position, but I think in your case it's the best decision.

13. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Sounds like that district really wants you. I say go for it. Maybe the LTS will turn into a full time position.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

I think the biggest question you need to think about is if you stay in your current position for the remainder of the year, will that principal give you a good recommendation for jobs next year? Around here anyway, it's next to impossible to get a new position without a good recommendation from your previous principal. Many districts even have policies that it has to be your current/last admin and not an admin you worked for in the past. If you don't think this principal will back you in getting a new job, I'd take the LTS for sure. It will be tough financially this year, but you'd be setting yourself up to be able to have full time employment in the future. If you take this job now, you won't even have to put the charter school on your resume.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

Next year's job search is one of my fears and something I'm considering.

This is scary stuff!

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

It is. But if you have your family's support, it sounds like the LTS is your best bet. If you really and truly cannot stand working in the charter, and don't see yourself getting out of there sane, get out now.

The other point, as a PP mentioned, is that if you stayed at the charter but the p turns out to be crazy, you'll have invested all that time without a reference. It sounds like this other school really wants to get you on board. At the very least, they'd be a great source of references even if they have no positions for next year.

Good luck!

17. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 25, 2013

They may kind of want her on board, but if they really wanted her, they would have offered one of their several full-time positions that they passed her on.

18. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Aug 25, 2013

Very good points.
    Think more about long-term employment + possibilities. And your CURRENT mental health / overall sanity. :whistle:

When do you have to make your decision by?

You could accept the LTS, and if in the next week or two things somehow turn around AMAZINGLY at your school, you could back out of that, no?

P.S. I wouldn't straight out ask if anyone else is "pregnant." Ask if they anticipate any other LTS positions that might have the timing line up well after this LTS.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

I'd take it in a heartbeat. A non-union school does not need a reason to fire you, and then you have that on your record. Sounds like your principal is that kind of person. Speaking from experience, I would jump at this!

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 25, 2013

I would take it. The teacher may not return or you may end up with other LTS positions. You'd get your foot in the door and get out of a job that sounds horrible.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

At the moment, I'm leaning towards setting up a meeting with her on Thursday (I don't have school Thursday or Friday) and telling her I'm 85% right now.
    If I get a call from someone else in the meantime, I can take an interview. I'll have a security net.

The P is not a monster- the entire school is just terribly disorganized and the behavior of the kids leaves me speechless. With that said, I still don't think she wants a mass exodus at the end of the year, so I question her support in a job search.

22. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

I don't have any advice because I know your current situation is really difficult but a 12 week position might leave you in a tough situation when it ends. I hope things work out well whatever you choose.