Job offer (finally) now what!?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, Jun 25, 2011.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

Job offer (finally) now what? I have no clue!!!!!

After 2 years of searching I finally got an offer. Not just any offer - my dream job! As some of you know I went to CO from Chicago for an interview and while awaiting my contract was informed that an internal teacher wanted it and I was SOL! I was devastated however kept looking.

Well I ended up getting a call late last night from a principal in the same district and for 2nd grade. She offered me the position and I am in shock! I never expected this to happen!

I have a month and 20 days before teacher orientation! Now that I do not have to fill out apps anymore I am getting all stressed again because....Ahh I have to move out of my parents house and lessons and school stuff! I don't even know where to start? Do I start planning? Do I get curriculum stuff? I have no idea what to do!?

What is the next step? I know HR will be contacting me Monday with info but I am sooooooooo clueless.

Any ideas? AND Thank you so much for everyones support and kind words! I really believe these boards helped me land this job! Thank you!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2011

Congrats! I would wait until Monday when the contact you. Ask about getting copies of the curriculum maps, pacing guides, teacher's editions, etc. Anything that you can get your hands on before school starts.

Also, you could start looking at the state standards for the different subject areas. This will guide what you are teaching.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2011

I would see if you could get a hold of the curriculum. Ask if they have a curriculum map that you have to follow. It would be wise to begin planning asap, since it sounds like you are new, and it will likely take a while to grow accustomed to the curriculum, objectives, etc.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2011

Mopar, we were posting at the same time, I think... :)

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 25, 2011

Congratulations!

Don't wait too long to find an apartment, either. Better to be settled in your new home before you have to get settled in your new school.

Such an adventure! Good luck!

7. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jun 25, 2011

Congrats, eireannashley!! I feel the same way! I will be a first year teacher, and now that I got the job, I am so nervous and school havent even started! I am concerned about finding classroom materials, clothes, you name it. I have searching online for materials, and look at state standards so I can get started. Good Luck, I would try to go ahead and move so that could be out of the way.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 25, 2011

So, you are living in Chicago and got a teaching offer in Colorado?

9. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

Congrats!! I am hoping that your good luck means that maybe things will start looking up for all of us!

10. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

Thanks so much everyone!

@ Emily Bronte...Yes, there are zero jobs here! I can't find one and my family is out there in CO and I found a fantastic district so I am moving soon!

I did not think I would get this lindsey! I have emailed every principal for every job I applied and made an online portfolio and brochures and applied EVERYWHERE! I never thought it would happen and I was so sick of everyone telling me it would happen and oh hey look....so yeah keep trying!

That is the other thing...classroom materials and getting everything ready. Bah!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2011

Congratulations! What great news! Have you found a place to live there, yet?

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2011

YAY!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

I would imagine your first order of business is moving to CO.

Not that I've ever done anything like that, but I think I would approach it this way: find an extended stay hotel somewhere in the area (I chose Denver because it was easy: http://denver.extendedstayhotels.com/) That will give you a place to live temporarily, with kitchen (or at least kitchenette) facilities while you find something suitable for a longer term.

Or is your family close enough that you can stay with them for a few weeks?

Tomorrow you start packing. Don't sweat the school stuff yet; worry about the personal stuff tomorrow. Once you hear from HR you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

You'll want to start packing your clothes. Being from Chicago, you'll have the appropriate winter clothes, that's good.

Think about what you'll do for transportation-- drive there or buy a car there. (I would drive if your car is decent; you'll have a lot of stuff to move. Maybe mom or a friend will drive there with you and fly back??)

You'll need a bank in CO... is there a branch of the one you currently use nearby?

You'll need to find doctors there-- don't wait till you need root canal to get a dentist! Ask HR what medical coverage you have-- which plan-- and ask your current doctors how you would find someone who is under that plan in your new neighborhood.

Ask HR what neighborhood(s) they would suggest you start looking for an apartment, or ask the family members in CO.

Tonight you celebrate with champagne.

Tomorrow you get started.

Again, congrats!

13. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 25, 2011

Congrats! So glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

14. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 25, 2011

WOW! That's awesome! All of your hard work certainly paid off!

15. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 25, 2011

Well that is awesome news - congratulations!! I'm sure you will love Colorado. It will be a lot of hard work getting started and set up but the payoff will be so worth it.

Keep us up to date on everything!!