Job offer dilemma

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by HistoryTeach101, Apr 24, 2017.

  1. HistoryTeach101

    HistoryTeach101 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 24, 2017

    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here, and I'm in need of advice. I received my credential in December, so I am now looking for my first full time teaching gig. I received a job offer over the phone this past Friday from a Jr. High school district. The district is definitely not my first choice, so I asked for time to think about it. They asked if I could respond by Monday to allow them time to move on to the next candidate. I said I would do that. The problem now is that 5 minutes after that phone call, I received an email from the high school I desperately want to work at. They asked if I was available Tuesday for an interview, and I said I was. Horrible timing I guess. This high school is my first choice. I covered a maternity leave there for the first semester of the 2016-2017 school year and loved it. I have a few of the department teacher's backing me for this position along with the department chair, but there are also other candidates that will be interviewed that would be transfers from another high school in the district. I believe they receive priority. I'm definitely going to the interview on Tuesday, but what should I say to the Jr. High when I call tomorrow? I don't want to be without a job in August, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to work at the school of my choice, even though I know my chances are slim since I'll be up against transfers that are more experienced. What do you do when you have to respond to an offer at the worst timing?
     
  2.  
  3. rpan

    rpan Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2017
    Messages:
    672
    Likes Received:
    498

    Apr 24, 2017

    Even if the high school interview was on Monday it would be highly unlikely that you would hear back on the same day. if you really need a job come August I would accept. It's better to be in a job, especially as a first year, than to have nothing. There may be other openings in this high school next year, and by that time, you may have a better chance, having the experience of teaching.

    Sometimes schools have a candidate they want but have to do the token interviews, you have to judge whether this is the situation in this case.
     
  4. Committed2DaProfession

    Committed2DaProfession Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2017
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    5

    Apr 24, 2017

    I agree with rpan. Until you have the necessary experience/reputation, the most responsible thing to do is accept the position. Junior high isn't that bad. I am an 8th grade History teacher by the way.
     
    HistoryTeach101 likes this.
  5. HistoryTeach101

    HistoryTeach101 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 24, 2017

    I know that I wouldn't have an answer Tuesday or even this week. I just wanted to have the interview first to see how it goes and get a feel for it. I know the high school's Principal and Assitant Principal well, but I do agree with the both of you that there aren't enough job openings to turn down the 8th grade offer. Thanks for the advice!
     
  6. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    428

    Apr 24, 2017

    This happened to me a couple years ago.
    I accepted a position I was indifferent about because I didn't have anything else lined up.
    Then I received a call to interview for a better position elsewhere! I ended up getting an offer from there as well and accepted it.
    I then had to "resign" from the first place I had accepted. It was still early on in the summer so I'm sure they had time to find someone else, and I do know I burned that bridge! I felt so bad, but I know I would've moved on after a year anyway.
     
    HistoryTeach101 likes this.
  7. HistoryTeach101

    HistoryTeach101 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 25, 2017

    I did verbally accept the job today, but I'm not signing paperwork until next week. I have a very small chance of getting the high school position anyway since it's pretty competitive, but I'm still going on the interview tomorrow. I would hate to rescind my acceptance, but I probably would if it was before signing. I know that sounds horrible, but I've been waiting for this interview for awhile.
     
  8. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    428

    Apr 25, 2017

    Yeah, luckily I hadn't signed anything yet. I had only verbally accepted over the phone!
    But by the time I accepted the 2nd offer, the Board had already agreed to hire me so I had to send in a letter of resignation.. :D
     
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. HistoryTeach101

    HistoryTeach101 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 28, 2017

    Update: I had my interview with the assistant principal and the social studies department chair on Tuesday. It went well. Yesterday, the assistant principal emailed me to ask if I had already had my district interview, and I have not. So now I have one scheduled at the district office on Monday. I'm not sure what this means because the assistant principal didn't say anything else.
     
  10. HistoryTeach101

    HistoryTeach101 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1

    May 1, 2017

    The district interview went really well this morning. They said I passed, and they will email the assistant principal I interviewed with. The other school said there's no rush for me to come in to start the fingerprint process, but I'm hoping I will know sometime this week what's going on with the high school I want to work at.
     
    SageScience likes this.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. vickilyn,
  2. Whoknows85,
  3. CaliforniaRPCV
Total: 239 (members: 5, guests: 218, robots: 16)
test