Job offer... and a question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Katisop99, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Hello everyone!

I got a job offer today at my third interview at a school. They went through salary, policies, benefits, etc. but no contract or "official" offer. They said that I need to do fingerprinting and a physical first.

Is this normal? The fingerprints I understand, but a physical?

Would it be possible that they want to fingerprint, then give the contract and I need to do the physical within a few weeks of signing? They weren't clear...

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

Don't you have to provide fingerprints for certification in CA? If so, yours should already be on file with your SBEC, right?

Never heard of having a physical for a job offer. Do they pay?

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

Is this for a public school?? I have never heard of teachers having physicals for job but I know there are other positions where physicals are required.

I agree with Missy - didn't you already have to be fingerprinted to get your license?

Congrats on the new position

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I was required to be finger printed and have a physical (basically it's to rule out TB and Hep and make sure you are up to date on your own shots) during my processing when I first applied to the Board of Ed here in my city. Once all that comes through, then you can be processed through Human Resources for a specific position. It's not unusual here to have a physical. It's required. Doesn't mean you can't be hired if you have TB or Hep. Just means you'll need to take precautions since you'll be working with so many kids. The same way that kids are required to have shots, so are we.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

This would be unusal in my area. Did you have to be fingerprinted in order to get your license??

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2009

I have never had to do a physical for a job, and I had to be fingerprinted before getting my certification.

8. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I never had to do a physical, but I did have to submit a urine sample (gross I know)--they make everybody who applies in Knoxville, TN do it (I knew there was a reason I didn't take that job!) In Charlotte and Nashville, it was just fingerprinting. I had to have the TB test as well before I did practicum experiences in any early childhood setting.

9. WindyCityGal606

Jul 15, 2009

We earn certificates here. We get fingerprinted when we go through the certification process. They physical comes through Human Resources for our Board of Ed..it's been a while but that's what I remember. Could be because we are a huge school district? We're the second largest in the country. We have people from all over the world and a lot of our students travel in and out of the country. I don't know??

10. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I was fingerprinted for my credential, but I guess they wanted to do it again. They're paying, so it should be fine. Maybe it is because the school is a charter? I don't know.

I'm a little worried because I am going out of town for a week (finally :)) and I don't want the offer to go away. I'd like to sign a contract before I go. I'm hoping that if my fingerprints go through then I can sign the contract and do the physical when I get back.

I'm calling them tomorrow to check on the fingerprints, so hopefully all goes well and I can go home knowing I have a job waiting when I get back!

11. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I have to get a physical for my position as well.

12. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

In CA you have to get fingerprinted for every district. I had to get fingerprinted for the cert, fingerprinted for the county, then fingerprinted for each district. They do not share fingerprints at all. The district pays for it.

As for the physical, I have never had to have one, but I have always had to turn in a recent TB test. They may just require the physical to do a TB test.

13. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Ask them for a letter of intent and explain you're situation regarding going out of town.

They really HAVE to understand that you want/need to know for sure if you have the job.

Maybe the physical is to help lower the cost of benefits?

I just had to have a physical (not for a job in education) simply for the reduction of the cost for benefits/deductible at my job.

Congrats on the offer!!

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

That makes sense Zoe - our district would never be able to fund physicals :D I have to complete a background check (which I have to pay for) to renew my license but I have never been fingerprinted.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

I had a physical with TB test when I was hired. My doctor thought it was really strange. I also had to get fingerprinted and a drug test. Yes, I had to pay for all three. This was in addition to payinf for my certification. All in all, I ended up shelling out $200 to get the job. The TB test was a pain for me though because I have been treated for TB so I always have to get a chest xray to clear me.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

I had to get a physical for my current position. They checked my eyes, posture, blood pressure and things like that.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

And I forgot to say congrats!!!! :D

18. WindyCityGal606

Jul 15, 2009

Yes..Congratulations on your new job!

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

Congratulations!

20. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Congrats!

Congrats!

In Minnesota we have to be fingerprinted to get our license, but we still get fingerprinted when we are hired in a district. I was confused about this and was talking to my husband. He made a good point. It has been 4 years since I received my license, what if I committed a crime in that time period that wouldn't show up on my old fingerprint record but would now. I'm sure they are just covering themselves just in case.

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

Never done a physical and we are finderprinted at certification.
    As far as no official contract yet it was the same with me. My new district has what it calls "hire interview" where they cover insurance, benefits, policies, salary, etc. and then you have a separate day you go in for "new teacher signup" where you sign your contract.

So, if they haven't mentioned, I would ask when I sign a contract.

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

oh, i almost forgot - Congrats!

23. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

California is STUPID is that athough all the fingerprinting is by computer they do not share the information, so you have to do it over and over. It is bad for subs because we have so many local school districts (6 or 7 feed into the high school district and that is just in east county) so you may have to get fingerprinted that many times to keep busy as a sub. It is crazy. The physical is mostly for drug testing.

24. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I don't think that the physical is for drug testing because I feel like they would have had me sign something saying that I was okay with this (I've had to sign that before for other jobs).

I think its for TB and such and since TB takes two days to test for, I'm going to have to do it when I get back.

I'm going to go down there tomorrow and give them the livescan verification and explain to them that I am going to see my sick grandmother for the week. Hopefully they will give me the physical info and then I can go the day I get back. I doubt that a week (in which they will also need to check my references) will make them revoke the offer.

What do you guys think?

And thanks for all the love!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2009

Could it also be to test for pre-existing conditions for the insurance policy?

26. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Possibly! All I hope is its okay to put it off for a week so I can see my family.

You guys all rock for answering all my questions and giving such encouragement!