Job Offer Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MIchStateTeacher, May 25, 2018.

1. May 25, 2018

Hi all- first time poster here so please forgive me if I'm not following a rule or something.
    So- I just finished a year long student teacher and have been applying EVERYWHERE- as I know the jobs in my area are competitive and nearly no interviews have started yet. One district that is farther away (farther north starts their hiring earlier than where I am) has offered me a position and I am VERY excited but also have scheduled upcoming interviews with districts closer to me. So I am looking for advice.

I want to accept this offer but still continue interviewing. Can I technically turn down an offer I have accepted if I haven't signed a contract yet?

Yes, I know it is the best practice but my DREAM school asked me to interview in two weeks. And I would be heartbroken if I got it and had to decline due to this already offered position.

Also- how long does it take to sign a contract after receiving an offer? What is the process? I ask because I will not back out on a contract but might back out on an offer if possible.

I know I'm in a predicament and no one in my family is in the education world/can offer advice. Please help!

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

May 25, 2018

When does the district want a response to the offer? That is what I would find out first.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 25, 2018

How far is the commute each way for the school that gave you an offer?
    If it is not too far away and is a good school then take it.
    Like others others and myself have said before, the "dream school" is usually not the dream it appears to be. I worked at my dream school my first year; it was even 5 minutes down the road, and it was horrible.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 25, 2018

I also had a very bad experience at my "dream school/job." Often things aren't as they seem from the outside. If the job you were offered seems like a good fit, I would take it, especially if you're in a tough job market.

As far as what would happen if you take a job and back out, you'll have to ask someone local because it varies significantly by region. In some places they could go after your teaching license. In my area, "waiting until you sign a contract" is simply not a thing. I often see advice posted here to keep interviewing/applying until you've signed a contract, so obviously most other places are different. In my area, signing the contract just isn't really a big deal. In my first district, I was given a contract to sign in October, even though I was hired in July and started teaching in August. My 2nd district gave me one in July after being hired in April, and that was only because I needed it to sign a lease for an apartment. My 3rd district gave all new teachers their contracts the week before school started at a new hire meeting. Here, when you verbally accept the offer it's considered binding.

6. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

May 26, 2018

I think you should look at the district policies. In my local district you can accept the offer but can also change your mind up to two weeks before school starts.

7. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

May 30, 2018

MichState Teacher,

Do research the repercussions, but in the end, do what is best for you. The whole interviewing game is politics anyway, and they would move on pass you in a second if they had to.

Be cordial about it, but if your "dream job" comes, take it! You're the one who has to live that life everyday. No one else.