Job Offer Advice..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by elleveeaych, Jul 8, 2014.

  1. elleveeaych

    elleveeaych Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 8, 2014

    So I have a dilemma, a good dilemma, but one nonetheless.

    I was verbally offered an 8:1:1 position in a District 75 NYC school about two weeks ago. I was sent a welcome email from the DOE saying that I was nominated by a principal. I had to electronically sign an I9- just saying I'm a citizen and can work, sign off that I had agreed to the rules/regs, emergency contact and background questionnaire. I haven't submitted my materials in person yet and I haven't signed an offer or contract. The nomination is still contingent on my preliminary paperwork going through.

    In the meantime I'm working in a wonderful suburban district for their summer school program. They have a fall position available and I interviewed for it about a month ago but hadn't heard anything back. Now that I've started teaching there for summer, they said they are very interested in hiring me for the fall position and apologized for not being in contact sooner (technicalities with the hiring process). Technically they have to do a demo lesson, so they are observing me on Friday and said they would be able to discuss the position more after that time. So..if they are to offer, I'm a little torn.

    The suburban school is the kind of school people graduate into after spending years and years in the city. High performing, wealthy district in a quiet area, amazing budget-classroom and district-and resources, very high salary, shorter commute-little traffic, no aggressive behaviors (which I've done before but if I had a choice...they have a budget to send students with aggressive behaviors to a specialized behavior program).

    The opportunity to begin in this district as a 3rd year teacher would be amazing but I feel uncomfortable rescinding my offer from the city. It's always something I said I'd never do because it feels so unprofessional but is this an opportunity to give up when I know what challenges I will face in the city? (cost/time of commute, traffic, parking, lower salary, limited resources).

    Any advice either way would be appreciated :confused:
     
  2.  
  3. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Jul 8, 2014

    I would go with what will make you happier in the long run. If you get offered the position don't feel bad about rescinding your city job offer. It's not set in yet.
     
  4. Mrs. Rader

    Mrs. Rader Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2014
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 8, 2014

    You have not signed your contract for the city school. This means that you are free to entertain other offers and choose at your leisure. :)

    I can understand feeling guilty about rescinding the offer - I would too. I would feel terrible not returning to my current school, even though if I receive a better offer I know I will take it. You have to do what is best for YOU - and it sounds like you are really more interested in the suburban district position.

    Follow your heart and choose the place that makes you feel most comfortable. Were the staff friendly? Is it a welcoming environment? Can you see yourself working there in years to come? It always helps to visualize possibilities. Best of luck wherever you choose! :D :thumb:
     
  5. joeboo22

    joeboo22 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 8, 2014

    Do what will make you happy, but be careful and don't cause yourself both jobs.
     
  6. hep223

    hep223 Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2014
    Messages:
    122
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2014

    You have to take the position that will make you happy, otherwise you will always have regrets and question the decision you made. You have not signed the contract so you can still rescind the offer. I would not call and rescind the offer until you get offered the other position and sign the contract.

    Good luck! :)
     
  7. abat_jour

    abat_jour Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2014
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2014

    I got two offers. I dont know what to do.!
     
  8. joeboo22

    joeboo22 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2014

    make sure you are highly qualified for each, if they are in different states that you can get licensed in each state, make sure that the offers are the same, teaching, full-time, benefits, etc.

    Then look at the pay, the school district and make a decision. Also might want to look at rent and living conditions in the area.
     
  9. elleveeaych

    elleveeaych Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 9, 2014

    Thank you for your suggestions! I have just moved back to the area after leaving the state for my first few years of experience so I'm definitely playing it safe and weighing the differences even though I'm anxious to be settled : ) Thanks again!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. TeacherNY,
  2. Guitart,
  3. Missy
Total: 241 (members: 4, guests: 212, robots: 25)
test