Job market in Virginia?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Daniellya, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Daniellya

Daniellya Rookie

Apr 12, 2017

Hello everyone!

I am hoping to be a first year middle or high school social studies teacher for the 2017-18. My goal is to get a job, really anywhere, in Virginia.

I have my New York State initial teaching certification (7-12) and have recently sent out about 10+ applications for positions located in VA.

My questions are -- what is the job market like in VA? Is is very competitive? What are my chances of getting a teaching position come this September?

Also, does having my license from NYS make me a little more competitive? I also have my masters in teaching. I've heard mixed things about this.

Thank you!

3. christie

christie Rookie

Apr 12, 2017

Virginia is a very big place. Some school districts are desperate for staff while some will have few openings. Figuring out where you want to work in the state and what kind of district you want to work in will play a big role in how competitive the job market is. I have no idea why having a NYS license would make you more competitive. Districts are mostly going to care about whether or not you have or can easily obtain a Virginia license.

We've already started hiring for next year. We will have few openings and the ones we do will be pretty competitive.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 12, 2017

I recently moved from PA to MD and at the time I was also looking into Virginia since its close by. They had numerous openings throughout the state. Just do some research and find which area you would like to work in. And having a NY license is no different than any other license. I agree with Christie that what they are going to be more concerned with is getting your VA license. Moving from PA I had to take two additional praxis exams.

Side note about the master's degree. I hear both good and bad things about having a masters but I also got my masters before teaching. The experience I gained through my practicum (in reading) helped me to secure my position and I was hired on the spot.

Best of luck!

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. Daniellya

Daniellya Rookie

Apr 12, 2017

Social studies.

7. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 13, 2017

Social studies is a competitive area to be hired in. You need to narrow down the area of VA you want to work in; all areas of the state have districts that have openings pretty much year round. Feel free to send me names of districts you are looking at and I will let you know the reputation of the area from what I have heard.

8. christie

christie Rookie

Apr 13, 2017

Social studies jobs are definitely harder to find. I would figure out what part of the state you want to live in and work from there. While it's certainly possible you will find a job in the first wave, you may need to wait until current teachers are locked into contracts (usually by the end of June). Once teachers are locked into contracts, it becomes a bit easier for new teachers to find a job.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 14, 2017

If you have the chance to work towards an ESL certification, I know that there is always need for that. It won't help this hiring season, but if you don't find a job, it is something to consider.

10. Daniellya

Daniellya Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

Thanks everyone! I have two interviews next week in VA. I'll let you all know how it goes!

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Apr 25, 2017

Where in VA? Good luck!

12. SevillaSwag

SevillaSwag Rookie

May 10, 2017

For social studies, it will be tougher than a high-need content area. Some divisions might be low-budget enough to worry about you having a Master's versus a Bachelor's, but I don't think many will outright reject you due to education.

If you don't have any particular geographic allegiance, Northern VA has a lot of schools, although the cost of living is high. Fairfax for example has over 20 middle schools and over 20 high schools.