Job Market in Other States?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FCLaura, Dec 29, 2009.

1. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Dec 29, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am teaching a long-term sub postion in Washington, just outside Seattle. The job market here stinks. It has been common to get 100+ applicants for just one position. This is my second year teaching (1-yr contract last year), and I am seriously considering relocating to another state next year. My husband is finishing grad school to be a HS English and/or science teacher. Are there teach positions opening in other states? If so, how many applicants are there for elementary positions? Is the teacher pay decent in comparison to the cost of living? Thank you for your help!

Laura

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

California is tough right now for el ed, English, social studies. Every one says math and science are the way to go although I added science to my el ed credential and it hasn't helped me find a job.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 29, 2009

Tennessee? According to google news, nobody wants to teach there. They're expecting a 40% teacher shortage by 2012/2013, but you know how that usually works out. :rolleyes:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/09/study-predicts-dire-teacher-02/

"Study predicts dire teacher shortage in all grade levels in Tenn.
    By 2013, more than 30,000 openings expected"

"In Memphis City Schools, 20 percent of first-year teachers quit and more than 40 percent leave after three years...Through its partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the district plans to pay $6,000 incentives to highly qualified new teachers who stay at least four years."

HAHA...YEEE-HAW.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

I think NY Elementary Ed applicants would kiss the ground if they only had to compete with 99 other applicants. It's a tough market here for most types of education jobs, including Secondary English.

Math, Chem and Physics are the only really decent markets.

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

Don't come to Illinois! In our area (suburbs of Chicago), we get over 1,000 applicants for every position, so your situation actually sounds pretty good! :) Good luck!

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

I can't speak for all of Texas but I know our district in Houston will regularly get a lot of applicants for one position. We had several positions open this summer and got over 700 applications. Dallas laid teachers off last year, I don't know if they are still hurting or not.

8. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

I think I've just decided not to worry about it. I'm going to get the best grades I can, do the best I can in my practicums and student teaching. I'll get my name and face out there. I'm confident I will be hired! :)

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

Louisiana (at least where I am) needs teachers. Pay isn't amazing, but it is very livable for the cost of living here. My husband and I are both teachers, and we afford the mortgage, car payments, phone and cable bills, four pets, eating out some, travel, etc. The data says that starting salary averages $31,000 but I think it's much higher than that now. Most districts around here start at near $40,000.

10. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

It's tough here in New York City too. The City is not hiring any teachers who are not already in the system. Unless you are willing to work with children who have severe behavior and academic issues, they call that District 75. I am hoping that teachers don't get laid off here. So much for the recession being over.

11. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Dec 30, 2009

If you go to Houston and choose to teach in the inner city you can easily find a job and the pay is decent. Now if you want the suburbs, it may be a little harder.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

100 applicants sounds good compared to Wisconsin jobs! There were 200 applicants for my job, and I've heard numbers as high as 500 applicants. Most people I graduated with in 2007 still don't have jobs. They are having a difficult time even finding sub positions.

Of course, Milwaukee is always hiring, but it's not pretty there...

13. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

NJ is not good either- best of luck with your search!

14. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 30, 2009

I would say look into urban schools because that is really the only place you will find a job at the moment. We currently need a few teachers at the school I teach at.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2009

Here where I am (Upstate NY) the job market is not good.

16. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 31, 2009

Houston is growing significantly- jobs in the city, and in the suburbs new elementaries open up every year. If you can hablar espanol you'd be very hirable.

17. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Dec 31, 2009

We're interested more in the rural areas. Do rural areas need more teachers?

18. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 2, 2010

Don't come to Maine. :) Well that's not true... southern Maine, where it's more populated is tough. If you go to the REAL rural areas, you can a job rather easily.

19. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

Rural Maine

Yes, but the question is: Do you need skies to make it to work??? :)HEE HEE!

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 2, 2010

The Omaha Metro job market for teachers is glutted. With three universities in the area or nearby and schools closing or increasing class size, many teachers are looking for work. There is always a need for Jr. high+ math and science, but everything else has less demand than supply. The smaller towns and rural districts always have a hard time filling positions though. You might want to look into that job market. Nebraska's cost of living is low, and the pay is decent.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

Ditto for NJ

22. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

Iowa is about the same, it is difficult to find a straight general ed job or general classroom job at the Elementary Education level, they are encouraging people to get a Special Education or ELL endorsement and teach in those areas (go into the district through the back door... ) at least in my area. Both of those areas have a shortage right now. And the state and some federal grants are available to teachers in those subject areas to pay back loans.
    As for the Secondary level, English and Social Studies (my area) are overrun with applicants, a friend of mine is Principal and had an opening in December for a history/gov't teacher and received almost 300 applicants for it (in the middle of the year!)... Math and Science are the two areas with a big demand.
    If you can find a job, (I personally plan to teach special ed for a few years), the pay isn't terrible... around 30-35,000 a year starting with just a BA and no experience (depressing, I make almost double that now as a nurse.) Cost of living in Iowa is low (or at least I think so, but I've lived here all my life). So it is manageable.

23. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

I wonder why the rural areas are having trobule? I would think they would be mobbed with applicants!!

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2010

I think a lot of it is just how rural the area is. Honestly until I moved I never really knew what rural is. Where I am from (and live again now) if you live in a "rural" area you can still easily get to most things you would want to in an hour or less whereas where I moved out in rural CO to get to a Walmart it took me an hour and to get to malls and other things to do it would take at least two hours. Also, some rural districts really depend on people relocating to the area, so people move there, get some experience and then get a job closer to where they're from leaving the same jobs open every couple of years.

25. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Jan 4, 2010

I teach in the Olympia area (just south of you) and got my job by teaching Special Education for two years. When the gen ed position opened, I already had my foot in the door and got it. I think that's how many teachers get started.

26. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 4, 2010

Not much hiring on the rural front because we have no money!!! For instance, Iowa instituted a state wide 10% budget cut! We are already running on a bare bones staff and now we have to cut more!! HA HA...Yeah right!!! Last year the state wide cut was less then half of what it is this year and we were looking at cutting 3 elementary teachers... we only have 20 elementary teachers.

Sorry to be a downer...but there isn't much out there!!