Job interview!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smpeterson77, Aug 5, 2013.

1. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I had a job interview today at a catholic elementary school. Loved the school, the principal was super nice and seemed like she'd be great to work for. The school has all types of interesting programs and events, and is definitely a school I think I'd love working for. The salary? Not so much:( I've been crunching the numbers to see if it's something I could make work in the event that I'm offered the job. Anyone here work at a catholic or private school? Are salaries this low everywhere?

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2013

I saw a local private school (they are all church schools) offering 14k for teachers.

4. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Private schools notoriously have low salaries, unfortunately. Each school is different, though. Some are better than others. I'm fortunate to work for a private school with decent salaries for teachers, but that is definitely not always the case.

5. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I teach at a Catholic school and have been trying to get out mainly because of the salary but also because of a new curriculum. I've been at my school for two years and my salary is under 30k. It's not a livable salary. I took my job because I was having trouble getting into public school (we all know how that is....) and I figured it was better to have it than to sub while I apply. Best of luck with your decision.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

I know someone that was just offered 18K to teach in a Catholic school.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

I went from teaching at an inner city school in an Urban environment , to teaching in a Catholic school in a rural area. It is true the money is less, but I have to say, I just love it there. We aren't micromanaged. We don't teach to the test. We have small classes and lots of leeway in how we teach.

Most of all, the teachers are all so very nice. We teach children to be nice to each other. I'd have a hard time leaving, even though I've been offered public school jobs at more money. I just wouldn't go back to public school unless I had to.

That's just my experience -- others may vary.

-Rain

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

$14,000 Ouch! I know I took a $3,000 pay cut when I went private many moons ago. Starting pay for our private school teachers here is just over $33,000 BA. Many make over $50,000, but we are still about 10% behind public schools. Hopefully Florida's private school teachers will get a bit more respect in years ahead. I don't like to see any teacher get paid poorly.

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I taught in a Catholic School for 13 years. I wouldn't have left, but they didn't offer me a contract. :(

I loved teaching there, but the pay was lousy! After 13 years, I only made a little over 30k. It was hard, and I have always worked a second job and tutored in the summer, but I truly loved working there.

10. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I was just offered 18500:eek: Definitely not livable. I also teach yoga and swimming, so that could supplement my income, but it would be nice to not have to work multiple jobs!

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

I have a good friend I work with who worked for a private school for over 25 years. 2 years ago she joined our public school. She got about a $15,000 raise. She is in her early 50's. She told me she has to work until she is 67, because she has absolutely no retirement from when she worked for the private school. She said her son got to go to the school for free, and she thought that was a big plus at the time. However, now she wishes she would have started working for the public sector long ago. She is single, and doesn't have anyone else to rely on financially.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

Giraffe, your location says Michigan. Did you find something back home? I haven't been on in a while.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 6, 2013

This will date me a bit, but my first parochial school contract was for $12,000. Thankfully things have improved a bit in the ensuing years.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 6, 2013

My first public school contract was 17k. That's why I just laugh when I hear first year teachers complain about how little they make now.

15. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

Last year, I taught Catholic and made 27,000 :(. My sister who is a part time waitress made 18,000. Now, I am in public and so happy. I had a really bad experience in catholic school... the students were lovely, but the other teachers/admin were mean and gossipy. Each place is different. Most of the teachers who made it work all had husbands who paid most of the bills or they lived at home with parents.

16. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

Thanks everyone for your feed back! I'd love to work for a public school, but am unfortunately in NJ and teaching jobs in general are pretty hard to come by here! So this would be until I was able to get a job in a public school. I'd just like to be out of the Goddard School system. Where I work now if great, but is still considered a day care first and foremost, and doesn't pay very well either. It's amazing how much teachers in a private school setting do for such little pay!

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2013

My first year I made $8700.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

It's all relative, as you know. I work in a well paid, high performing, high SES district. Our salary scale is really good compared to most (top of scale makes over 100 K) but many teachers work second jobs here as well. 18K would be hard in most places in the US but sometimes it's worth it to take the hit (and work those extra jobs) to get experience, build a resume, be in a school where one feels appreciated. (my catholic school pay 16 years ago was 18K...around here I think it's up to about 30 starting depending on school)

19. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

This is a really great idea. I did the same thing (also from NJ). I was working in a daycare and then moved to private school and am now in the process of trying to get into public school. It has still been difficult but having the experience will definitely separate you from other candidates. Best of luck!

20. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 7, 2013

My last year teaching for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, I made $12,500. (That was roughly 20 years ago.)

I saw the salary scale for the Catholic secondary schools about 10 years ago and I nearly had a brain hemorrhage when I saw a DOCTORATE degree with 25 years experience paid $52,000.

That's rough!
    :lol:

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

If you know you will enjoy the school/environment - actually enjoy going to work - take the job if you can afford it. I teach in a highly stressful, inner-city district where the pay is much better than most BUT teacher satisfaction is very low (according to district surveys/talking to co-workers). Sometimes, the money is not worth dreading the next 180 work days.

22. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 9, 2013

I have just made the switch from private christian school to public school and the difference in pay is a lot! I could only work at the private school last year as my wife worked at a public school with insurance and higher salary etc. s

23. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 9, 2013

But it was a good environment, I was pretty free to teach however I wanted to.... barely any interference from the administration.