Job interview Wednesday!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissPapa, Jun 17, 2013.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

Hey guys! So I have been sending resumes here and there and lo and behold, I get a call from a District 75 school in Brooklyn (District 75 schools are public schools in the NYC area for special ed students with moderate to severe disabilities). I got an interview on Wednesday! I am very nervous, although I heard that some people got these jobs easy because not a lot of people want them. I'm okay with it because I actually want a self-contained classroom with paras, maybe nervous about what students I can get, though.

Anyways, I am very excited. I'm asking for three things: 1) For those who have worked in a D75 school or familiar with them, what are some tips? 2) What's to expect in a teacher interview and what's the most effective way to present my portfolio? And 3) PRAYERS!!!!!!!

I really want to have a start with my career and in need of being full time for September, so I feel the need to land this interview. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

3. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

Also, a couple of people know this school and the people, they told me it's a really nice school and that they treat everyone good. Something I am looking for in a job!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 17, 2013

I have no words of advice, only encouragement. I've noticed that if you apply for a position that only a few people want, they have a lot less applicants, and you can really stand out! Alternative ed. is like that for example, and it seems like this position you're applying for is as well.

Good luck!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

No advice, but good luck! :)

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

Thanks guys! I guess it's a matter of how I deliver in the interview. Special ed is such a rewarding field :)

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

Good luck!

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 22, 2013

So the interview on Wednesday went great! I actually got a tour of the school (one of the locations, a District 75 school in NY has multiple locations and it's all special ed). The P wants me to come back after I return from my vacation in July and check out another location with him.

Also he mentioned that they need a lot of teachers.

So I might be hired in September!!!! I hope it doesn't get jynxed. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2013

Sounds very promising, MissPapa!