Job interview tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Delfina, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

My fifth job interview, third for this particular district. It's for a pre-k position at an early childhood center. I'm really clueless about this - any pointers? I was prepped for kindergarten through fourth grade, really (my cert is EC-4 so I can teach pre-K) but I'm not sure what the major differences are between pre-k and kindergarten, particularly on things they may ask me about in the interview.

Any advice is appreciated!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

I'm not sure about your district. When I taught kinder, the school was only prek, k. In prek, they focused on social skills, letters, numbers. In kinder, we were expected to start them reading!! The district wanted them reading quite a bit by the end of the year.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 8, 2007

How did your interview go? Did you hear anything yet? I didn't see your post earlier. Sorry.

5. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

Thanks for asking. :)

Well, they were running late when I got there, and hadn't started interviewing anyone. There were two other ladies waiting to be interviewed - both were ahead of me. Upon talking to them, I learned that both of them were pretty much in the same boat as me - wanting to teach with no experience. Both were also younger than me, I'm guessing five years at least - they seemed fresh out of college.

The first girl left right after she was done interviewing, the second girl stopped and told me the interviewers were really nice.

I interviewed with the principal and instructional coordinator (no AP). They were both quite nice and the principal was very straightforward. When it came to the time when I asked questions, she was very impressed that mine were so detailed about the process and such - I did my research beforehand!

They also asked how i felt about working late and I said that I had no problem with that...even be willing to work with kids after school! Hey, if it'll get me in... It's not like I wasn't working overtime in the corporate world.

They're going to interview at least ten more candidates, and won't be making a decision til the end of this week. They're not in a hurry - the teacher that they're replacing is moving to the music director position, so they'll actually have us (assuming they pick me) overlap for a few weeks so the kids get used to me. It's a class of 22 four-year-olds with no aide.

I made sure to send thank you notes on Thursday after the interview telling both of them how much I would love to work there and how beautiful the school is. I hope that it keeps me in their minds as they interview more people...

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2007

I hate to burst your bubble but as everyone knows, I have not gotten paid, so I am pretty misreable, and seeing the dark side of everything these days.

but I quoted you with two important red flags!

one...you will be working late- most centers operate 6 to 6. Looks like you can expect to be the closing teacher. if the parents don't show, you can be staying til 6 a lot. this is bad because traffic starts then, buses run awful by then, and if you want to go back to school, start dinner, or have any type of family life...it will suffer.

two..and this is a biggie...you have too many kids and no aide! In Illinois, the ratio is 1-10. You can't have 22 four year olds and no aide...that is suicide! how do you get them to the bathroom. how do you watch them outside. what happens if you slip and fall?

you should always have two teachers in pre-k!!!

most fours are pretty good, but in all rooms you will have young, immature 4s. they will have accidents, and food fights, and separation issues.

I got to let you go here...

this mission, should you decide to accept it, is very deadly.

you are outnumbered.

in more ways than one!

the director knows what is going on...and hopes you will sign up for it...

for your own sanity, look into your state's child care guidelines for adult/child ratio

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

I wish you good luck on whatever happens. Sounds like you have the edge over the other two candidates you were seated with. Let us know how it goes!

8. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

Master P: Actually, at this point I don't really care. I'll take a full-time teaching job if it's offered to me, or even a long-term sub. The student to teacher ratio is 22 to 1, so they make sure to pack those classes. Besides that, pre-K isn't required in the state of Texas.

I just need to get at least a year of experience under my belt, and if it doesn't work out then I'll try moving up a grade or three. And I could really use insurance and a decent paycheck.

I've worked later hours in the corporate world - including weekends, for teaching it's only til June 1 and I get little vacations throughout. All day pre-k is kind of a scary concept to me though, I have to admit. And 22 four year olds to myself is also very frightening. The principal told me that they're writing grants and have applied for more funding to put at least one aide in every classroom, but it hasn't gone through yet - and who knows when it will? So I'm not counting on that. At least with this particular position, the teacher would be there for two weeks to help with the transition.

teach57: Thanks! I'd like to think I did, too. Hopefully I do over the other ten-twenty candidates they interview, too!

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

So when will you know anything?

10. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

The principal said that they were interviewing people through tomorrow, I think, and that they hoped to decide by the end of this week, if not early next week. They're... really not in a rush... sigh.

11. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

Sheesh! Why not? Did school not start yet or something?

I don't mind a "no you didn't get it", but i HATE waiting for it. Like, just tell me already!

Did i mention i hate waiting?

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

We have an all day prek in the district I student taught in. Each classroom had their own aide though. Good luck!! We're all wondering what happens.

13. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

They were supposed to get back to me on Friday or so...but still haven't... and I called the school yesterday to ask if they'd filled the position, but they said they were still reviewing. They should've gotten my thank you notes on the Friday before last, or last Monday. I wish that I just knew that I wasn't in the running so I could stop thinking about it, ya know?

I'm still hoping, and my temp assignment runs out on Friday. Le sigh. It would, of course, be perfect if I could start my new job on Monday... but I doubt that'll happen. :unsure:

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2007

be positive...

sometimes...you get calls after hours!

15. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 21, 2007

Well, they filled the position. *sigh* And I'm not seeing any other open positions anywhere in the area.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2007

sorry....

my comfort statement is...

Isn't wasn't meant for me..

maybe it wasn't meant for you.....

I sent out resumes to sylvan and huntington learning center.

17. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 21, 2007

It is so hard to hear that. Hugs to you!:hugs: