Job Interview Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by neastland, Jun 27, 2005.

1. neastland

neastland Rookie

Jun 27, 2005

I need some advice for my job interview for tomorrow. I'm a special ed teacher who is trying to make an attempt for a 2nd grade teaching position. The job is in the same district that I currently teach in, but at a different campus. I have taught special ed in various capacities for the past 7 years (PPCD, Life Skills, and Resource). Last year when I was doing a split assignment of PPCD and Resource, I found myself really enjoying working with the students with their LA and Math skills. Since then, I have done alot of soul searching and realize that I have so much to offer in a regular ed setting. Any advice as to what I need to expect as far as questions, things I need to be prepared for, etc. I'm a little nervous, b/c I really want to be given this opportunity to try something new. Please help ASAP! Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2005

Be ready to describe your experiences that will lead to your success as a 2nd grade teacher - patience, simplification of tasks, specific language, behavior plans, consistency, etc. Good luck!

4. neastland

neastland Rookie

Jun 27, 2005

Thanks for the encouragement! I know that I will be able to do a great job if I can only be given the chance. I feel like I have so much to offer all students as far as modifications, teaching styles, and getting on their level. The only thing that I'm worried about is the once in special ed, always in special ed problem. Don't get me wrong, I have had a wonderful time in my current classroom, but I feel like I have so much more to give. Sometimes it's hard to move into another setting b/c it will be so difficult to put someone in my current placement.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2005

The college that I went to offers a dual-major program with elementary or early childhood and special ed. It started being offered my Freshman year and I had thought about doing it, but was always told...like you said...."once in special ed. always in special ed." and I was was worried that if I got that degree that would be all I'd be able to teach and with inclusion would never end up with my own room! However, I just graduated and went to job fairs, etc, and from what I've been told recently many districts are trying to fill ALL teaching positions with people that have special ed. requirements if possible. So, that might be to your advantage. I wouldnt worry too much about being "stuck". Just my two-sense! :) Good luck on the interview, I'm sure you'll be fine!

6. neastland

neastland Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

Thanks so much for those words of encouragement. I know the people there really well, so I hope it all works out. I needed to hear those positive words this morning b/c I'm extra nervous this morning. Thanks again.

7. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 28, 2005

Best of luck! (I'm guessing you're already on your way to the interview. I'm thinking good thoughts and channeling them your way :)

8. neastland

neastland Rookie

Jun 29, 2005

Job interview

Thanks to all of you who gave me words of encouragement the other day. I aced the interview and got the job. Thanks so much.

9. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 29, 2005

WOW! congratulations :) I'm really happy for you!!! (guess all that channelling helped, even from about 1300 miles away!)

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2005

Wow, found out so soon?! Good for you! Congrats!! :)

11. dee

dee Companion

Jun 29, 2005

That was quick Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2005

Way to go! Best of luck to you and have fun preparing!

13. neastland

neastland Rookie

Jun 29, 2005

Thanks y'all! Now I've got to move out of one room and into another in 4 weeks, plus prepare to teach 2nd grade. No stress, right? I'm extactic though! Total change. I'm going from diaper changing and teaching children to talk to helping them read and prepare for that dreaded TAKS test that they'll have to take in 3rd grade. Talk about night and day! Any ideas for teaching 2nd graders, b/c I want to really do my very best. I already have alot of resources that I collected through the years, but any words of wisdom or tips? I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 29, 2005

Neastland,

Congrats :) and it's terrific you found out that quickly. If I can be of any help let me know. I will be more than willing to share ideas.

Melissa

15. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005

Congratulations on the move to a second grade classroom!