Job interview Friday!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by r2turtle, Jul 19, 2011.

1. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Been looking at posts here for several months, but never posted till now. I have used the wonderful advice on here. I got a call for an interview Friday! :D I am so super excited about it. It is for 7th and 8th grade Math and Social Studies.

I have long term sub experience with social studies. I long term subbed in the fall semester in 9-12 social studies for 7 weeks. Then I finished up at another school the last 6 weeks of school in 7-8th grade social studies and 9-12 Civics. I subbed in between those two long term subbing positions and before my first long term job from preschool to 12th since April 2010. My certification is in Preschool to 8th grade Math/Science and Language Arts/Social Studies.

I just need to really check out those threads on interview questions and start to practice. I, like a lot of teachers out there, really need this position. I really think hand delivering my resume and all the other stuff I put in my packets I make helped. I also made a brochure. Whoever came up with that...GENIUS!!! The principal I called said I could just fax everything in, but I told him I didn't have a fax and would just personally bring it to him. That was yesterday mid morning. Plus, it can't hurt to put a name to face when applications come in. I talked to him about 10 minutes about the position and what expectations were. I really hope I am a good fit for this school. I have been looking for a teaching position since last April. Hope this is my chance to finally have my OWN classroom! :)

3. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

Good luck and positive mojo coming your way!!! :)

4. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Congratulations, and best of luck! Keep us updated!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2011

Congrats on getting the interview & good luck on passing the next step.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

Good luck!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

All fingers and toes are crossed for you!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 19, 2011

Best of luck to you!!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Good luck!
    Keep us posted and REMEMBER the last book you read!
    Rebel1

10. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 19, 2011

Best of luck!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2011

Good luck!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2011

OK, so here's your first inteview question:

I see you have extensive social studies experience. But this position is for a combination of math and social studies.

How is your approach to teaching math different from your approach to teaching social studies? How are the two similar?

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 20, 2011

Good luck! Maybe be prepared for a question about which subject you prefer, and why. Or how you feel subbing may differ from regular teaching. I'm sure your experience will go a long way toward getting you this job! :) Post back afterwards!

14. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

Had the interview this morning. I think it went great! It was just me and the high school principal. I was suprised it wasn't a panel interview, but relieved. That is a lot of eyes looking and listening to answers with those panel interviews. It seemed really relaxed and that made me feel better. I was asked what seemed like regular interview questions: teaching style, weaknesses and strengths, how I would begin and end the class period, experience with technology, knowledge about common core standards, classroom management, etc. I think I did really good. I have an excellent vibe about this. The school is in a very small, rural district. I love small districts. :) He told me about the salary without me asking and made sure he got a phone number I "absolutely could be reached" (his words). He said he had 2 more interviews today and he would make a decision Monday. The board hire his choice Tuesday night. I really think I would be a great fit for this school. So I am staying super optimisitic about it. But I know to keep looking. Momma didn't raise no fool. lol On another bright note, Monday night I got a call from a preschool for an interview the next morning. I could not believe it....2 interview calls in one day! That one went really good too. I got a call from a friend who is one of my personal references. They called her. So I know that is a good sign. I feel like there might to an end to this long, job hunting tunnel....finally!

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

Glad to hear that your interview (and the other interview!) went well! Hope you hear some good news soon!

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

You're smokin' now! I'm glad it went so well. I hope you hear good news soon!

17. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Update: Didn't get the 7th/8th position. :( I had a real good cry about it this morning. I just knew I had it. I am so bummed about it. I know I need to shake it off and I am looking into how to get my license in Oklahoma so I can apply there if nothing happens before school starts. I am still looking for newly posted jobs too. I know I can't beat myself up too much. School is just around the corner. Teachers go back the 8th here. I just need to get it back in gear.

I still know the preschool position is checking with my references. They called to get a different number they could reach one of my references from. So they have to interested.

I know I couldn't have done the interview any better. I did my very best. I have to think I did my very best to keep my sanity in this job market. I am thankful I at least got to interview. My husband and family keep telling me that God has something extraordinary in store for me. I just haven't found it yet. That also helps.

Back to looking for job postings. Those resumes won't get there by themselves.