Job inquiry through...text?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachCafe, Jul 1, 2020.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 1, 2020

I attended a virtual job fair earlier in the month and had one interview. Yesterday, I received a text message from a principal I briefly met with at the job fair. I believe at the time there were no openings. But it was very generic. I'm thinking it was a blanket text to everyone they remember from the job fair to see who will bite.

It was a "are you still looking for a position" type. I mean that could have been a B'CCed email to a lot of applicants vs. a text message.

Is that odd? I mean, if you have my number to text, why not call and leave a voicemail right? Am I reading to much into it? I don't even know how to respond. I would be interested in a position. The one mentioned in the text is for 1st grade a grade I've never taught and younger than I imagined. I'd hoped for 3rd or 4th. I know an interview could lead to another position or whatever.

I'm just confused by the text.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2020

I got a text similar to that once. It was also a connection from a job fair, and it was at a charter school with a lot of turnover that was located in a “dangerous” neighborhood. I do think it might have been a mass text, but it didn’t bother me either way. I just replied that I had already found a position and thanks for considering me. In your case, if you are at all interested, I’d just respond briefly saying so. I don’t think texts are all that odd in today’s world. It may not be commonplace or the most professional method of communication, but principals are busy people, and some people just don’t like to talk on the phone when a text is sufficient. It also gives you the opportunity to not be put on the spot and, instead, gives you time to consider whether you are actually interested or not.

mathteachertobe likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2020

Also, I moved from fourth to first and loved it. It’s definitely different, and the first month of so of the year was a challenge. But I learned so much more about basic reading, writing, and math instruction, and I know that I’ll be an even stronger teacher to intermediate students if I ever move back up.