Job info for paraprofessionals

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by deefreddy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Sep 7, 2014

Does anyone have a copy of a job description that they give to their paraprofessionals? Our district does not publish a job description other than "Under supervision of the principal, and as directed by a certificated employee, assists in the physical care and instructional activities of severely handicapped students, and does related work as required." I mostly need to communicate what to do ifs, confidentiality info, what they might be asked to do, etc. There is no time in the day to train or help new paras!:dizzy:

3. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Sep 8, 2014

Ask the human resources department or the classified employees union. We have different levels of job/responsibility with our paraprofessionals. Some do everything medical and academics, others just do the academics. It truly depends on their contract. In our district the ones who do toileting get paid more. Contact the human resources department. The employment contract would have had a more detailed description. They can't do more than their contract allows - for instance a feeding tube if they have never been trained.
    Frankly, the fun starts when we get a sub who has never changed a diaper before and they see I have big kids in the classroom. In those instances I check the job status and sometimes it turns out the sub is only there to do academics. The expressions of panic are :lol: I'd panic too.