Job hunting in the winter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jenstc2003, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Dec 25, 2009

I just graduated with my masters in English Composition. I've found a handful of jobs to apply for, but none have even gotten back to me. Is this fairly common when trying to find something in the winter- it seems like maybe they DO have people in mind already, or else they just don't want someone who would be alternative certification. There's nothing I can do about that, and I need something like... yesterday... as subbing isn't going to nearly pay the bills, unless I get a job every day. I guess I just need some hope. Am I insane trying to find a job this winter? Or is it just going to be a slog finding something and I should just hope for LOTS of subbing to get me through till the summer, when I figure there WILL be some more options available?

3. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 25, 2009

First I am in the same situation as you!

I think while it is not impossible that depending the area you are looking at it may be difficult. I would apply for anything that comes your way.

I am doing some home teaching right now for a district and will start subbing in january. I'm going to apply for everything that comes my way.

Eventhough I am in special ed. I am in California so who knows when that will be.

My friend finally got a job after six months of searching.

Stephanie

4. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Dec 25, 2009

Thanks for the encouragement! Let's hope both of us can find something soon.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 26, 2009

I'm in the same boat as well. I'm finishing the last class needed for my alternative licensure requirement and will be looking for a teaching job within the next few weeks. It would be nice if something opened up, but I expect I will mostly be subbing until next year.

6. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Dec 26, 2009

*Smiles* see Cerek... you're already a step ahead of me. I'm going to have to find work and take a class at a time for the certificate while I work. I wish you all the best!

7. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Dec 26, 2009

I am sorry to say that it is not just the time of the year. It is difficult to get a teaching job period right now. The job I have now, it took me almost a year to find. But once I did find a job it started in December, so you never know.

Good luck!

8. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

I also have gone the Alternative route. I have been a Content Mastery teacher assistant for 2 years and just moved to a life skills middle school environment before Thanksgiving. I'm looking for a Resource or LifeSkills position at the 4-8 level. I just received my 4-8 in August but have had my EC-12 for a year now. I have been looking for a year now and thought I'd have a better chance having the aide experience. However, the last few months, I have wondered if subbing is what I Should be doing--that would place me in several districts and get to know more people. I would lose my insurance if I decided to sub instead of continue with my aide position. I wonder what you guys think is the better route to go? I am so ready to teach!! I'm sure you know the feeling. Thanks :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

Jens-Teaching jobs are difficult to come by-any time of year, even more so in winter when most likely only some long-term sub/maternity replacement openings arise. Regardless of time of year, you will be in competition for job openings in education with candidates who have experience, are fully certified, and 'highly qualified'. Don't know how alt cert goes where you are located, but it is rare for someone needing to go that route to be hired in my area due to the high supply of qualified candidates. Keep in mind, there are many many English majors who are in the same situation as you...it's just not a high need area in education, and not having a full certification puts you at a disadvantage :sorry:. Perhaps you could seek some guidance from an administrator in one of the districts in which you sub. Someone like that in a hiring position may have some insight as to the job market, alternate route certification possibilities in your area. Good luck.

10. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Dec 28, 2009

I would say that health insurance is a necessity. Have you talked to your principal about possible openings at your current school? Does he/she know you are certified? I'm not sure where in Texas you live, but assistants in Houston ISD often move up in the schools they are already working in. If your current principal does not have the desire to move you into a teaching position, I would get a transfer to another school, or apply for a position elsewhere.

11. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Jan 1, 2010

I have only subbed in one district- an inner city school which is a really BAD fit for me. But I have a call in to the hiring office about long term positions opening up for Spring, and I will certainly ask what they think about the possibilities when I talk to them. Thanks everyone!