job hunt not certified/license

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by barronzp, Feb 16, 2016.

1. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Feb 16, 2016

Hello, gang, I graduated a year ago, but I am still not working in teaching. I switched job fields from health care to a masters in science (secondary). I've worked with a tutor company and helped with the family business. I never got licensed after last summer when I didn't find work in the area. My search is national now.

I can't apply for a cert/license to every state that is on my list. At the Teacher Recruitment Day event this spring, if I am not licensed in a state, will I not be considered? It was my hope to complete the process after I knew what state I was to be hired in. What actions can I do to demonstrate that I will be able to easily get the cert if hired by a school in a state? Thank you for your support.

3. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 16, 2016

I think you're going to find that the certification issue depends on how much need there is in that state/city/district. In NY right now, there's generally tons of applicants for every opening and I can't imagine anyone moving forward with someone without certification in hand when there are tons of applicants who are ready to go. On the other hand, I went to a recruitment in Indianapolis and they offered me a job on the spot because they really needed special ed teachers although they also encouraged me to start the Indiana certification process ASAP because it tends to take a while.

I would recommend trying to narrow it down to a couple of states, maybe even 3, where you're really willing to relocate and start the certification process immediately, especially since, if I understand correctly, you're not currently certified anywhere. Part of the reason Indy was willing to offer me a job is because I was already certified in NY and I could work on a temporary certification for a year while I got Indiana-specific requirements out of the way. In my job search process I ended up certified in Indiana and started the process in Virginia and Maryland. It was a pain in the butt, it cost me some money, and I didn't end up needing any of them because I got a job a couple hours from home in NY. But I'm still glad I did it because I would have probably been stuck without a job for another year if I hadn't.

How hard/long would it be for you to get certified in your current state? I'd imagine having that certification in hand, at least, would demonstrate to districts in other states that you've already been through the basic process of exams, background checks, etc. and passed and like I said, some states, based on that, will issue a temporary certification so that you can get other state-specific exams out of the way while you're teaching that first year. With no certification anywhere, I'm guessing it'll be a little tougher.

So I guess, in a nutshell, my advice would be to start the certification process *somewhere* really soon. It's not a short process, especially if you have to take exams, seminars, etc. and haven't yet, and if you wait too long, you'll be in the mix with every education grad who's also trying to get their certification through.

NOLATeach and bella84 like this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 16, 2016

Get at least one state's certification. If it's too much to deal with, get one at a time. You're not going to get calls from many places without certificates and the places you do get calls from may not be exactly palatable.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 16, 2016

Get a cert from the state you're in right now and then apply nationally. It'll be (maybe) easier to get other licenses if you're already certified in your current state. it's better than not having any license at all

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2016

If you can narrow down your choice of states, you can check with your present state and see which other states on your list have reciprocal agreements. Then you can get your state's certification and go from there.

7. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

I agree with all of the above. Some personal experience of a similar situation-
    I taught in the UK then worked as a para here for a year while sorting out my MA teaching exams and license. I applied from March onward (making it clear that my license was pending) even though my licensure didn't come through until May. I only started getting called up for interviews when I got my license and updated my application to show this. Make of that what you will!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

You have to be licensed somewhere. Pick one state that you'd really like to work in and start the certification process there. When you are able to do so, add one or two more states.

artbrarian likes this.
  9. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

Explore the possibility of a transitional license as well. Tennessee offers this, allowing you to teach on a transitional license if you are in a master's program. Some hoops to jump through (pass the praxis, etc.), but very doable.

NOLATeach likes this.