Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

Good luck! Hoping the best for you...like I told a few people in different threads...I root for others harder because my situation is getting close to a lost cause.

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2016

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2016

I hope you don't convey the attitude you seem to have on the forums in your interviews. You seem quite negative,as if the world is against you- kind of a futile mindset.

bella84 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

I take full responsibility for my own shortcomings. I'm frustrated as hell that I am still a sub, and I don't see a way out. I did everything people have told me...volunteer coaching, LTS, daily subbing, after-school tutoring...I just don't k ow what else I can do.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

In the conversation with the principal, did you ask for advice? Mention you plan to continue subbing if you don't have your own classroom, but your goal is for that classroom. Then follow by asking for suggestions she might have to make you a stronger applicant. That shows you are looking to improve. One thing about the success/failure view of life you've shared on these forums is I wonder how that plays out in interviews, and beyond that, in the classroom with students who are struggling, for instance.

czacza and mckbearcat48 like this.
  6. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

I have a very black and white world view (as you can probably tell), and I equate subbing with being on the wrong side of the equation. I talked to an admin at the school I student taught at, and he told me they do NOT hire first year teachers...no matter how well they do. He said I would be a strong candidate for a position now, but it is a hard world for teachers to get into. I just need to get into a classroom of some kind to reset myself and remember why I'm not prosecuting anymore. I want to make a difference and keep kids out of the chair that used to be across from me (prosecutor) and I believe that a good teacher can do that.

On the frustration with being rejected and offered a space on the sub list....that's probably silly of me since nobody can hire everyone, and for every winner there are those who don't win.

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

Yes, I did. She said that I was a strong candidate but the board went with a more experienced teacher. She said that I interview well, but the competition is intense and I have to justify more the extra cost of hiring me (degrees). She said the sub application is district procedure...if people are interested in working full-time and don't get a job, they are usually solid candidates to sub...most of their sub pool comes from that route.

I guess it's not an insult to be asked to sub if I don't get the FT position, but it has eaten at me a couple times.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2016

9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

The first year of law school is brutal...years 2 and 3 are pretty easy comparatively. It's very, very competitive.

10. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 16, 2016

I can't believe that any administrator would have that "you're a loser" attitude toward you. You were a prosecutor so you must be an excellent communicator as well as highly skilled in thinking on your feet. You're probably smarter than most people.

Passing the bar is difficult for many people. I know several teachers who wanted to go to law, medical, or veterinary school instead of becoming teachers, but their low GPAs and admission test scores only got them admission to rock bottom schools. That's why they decided to be teachers instead because most teaching credential programs are extremely easy. I wonder how many teachers and administrators can even pass the bar?

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

Thank you. My attitude sucks right now. Time to recenter and change it.

12. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 16, 2016

You're welcome, mckbearcat48. I would say that 90% of the general population doesn't have your intelligence or experience. I have been a union rep in the past and thus know for sure that the best qualified person doesn't always get hired for a teaching or administrative position. As I have said on another thread, at my old school some administrators seemed to be intimidated by applicants who were smarter than them. The administrators would even say something like, "That person is too smart for this place."

I think that the schools that won't hire you are making a big mistake. When I was a HS student, I loved the classes taught by former attorneys and medical doctors because they were knowledgeable about their subject, gave excellent advice about the "real world," and knew what they were talking about!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    mckbearcat48 likes this.
  13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 16, 2016

Yeah. I find they rarely ask, but I usually ask tell them that I have a link to my portfolio if they're interested in viewing it, and they almost always are.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2016

It's not enough to be intelligent or well spoken. Many of us have been in classes, workshops or meetings with highly intelligent, educated people who aren't good 'teachers'/presenters. Not saying mckbear fits in that category, but it's worth considering that there are areas/skills that are desirable in job candidates that even those who you may think are "smarter than most people" might be lacking or not portraying in interviews.

15. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

Have you guys experience the frustration of having a district reach out to you because they saw your resume on Olas? I got an email from the hr superintendent of a district saying there is an elementary teaching position opened and if I was interested to send in a resume and cover letter. I emailed him back and nothing. Frustrating!

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

19. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

I can relate to your job hunt woes. When I graduated the job market in GA was TIGHT. I didn't get a job straight out of college and had to go back to my crappy part time job for a year until I found something.(Even then it was 4 hours away and I had to move far from family/friends). Now the job market here has opened up a ton. I decided to stay put(love my school) but I do check teachgeorgia just to see what is posted from time to time. There were more jobs this year then ever before and still quite a few open:
    https://www.teachgeorgia.org/

20. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

I definitely think you have a great shot. They wouldn't waste their time calling references. That's usually the last step before making a decision and offering you the position. I really hope you get it. It seems like schools take forever to contact you about jobs. When I got my first teaching job, I wasn't offered the position until August 28th. Many schools hire in the summer believe it or not. Please keep us posted to let us know how everything went.

21. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

Maybe you can send a friendly email asking if the teaching vacancy has been filled. It seems like it's been a while since you've been in contact with the school. Good luck! Keep us posted

22. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

23. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

24. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 17, 2016

I do t think it would come off as pushy or needy after all of this time. Yes, you know that they called a reference but you haven't heard directly from them in weeks. Fair game to send a friendly email

25. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

Waiting here in Georgia. Moved here from CA, ended up taking months to get my credential in sped transferred and finally started applying to schools. 2 weeks to go and several interviews and have heard nothing. I have to keep reminding myself that this is how it is. CA always hired sped at last minute, looks like GA does too.

26. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 18, 2016

I have another interview set up for Wednesday for a third grade position. This opening was posted in the middle of June and I received an email about setting up an interview through school spring on June 22nd. I didn't hear anything at all for weeks. I sent an email last week and the principal said oh you want to interview? Ok I will send you an email friday. Nothing. So I sent another email today because I am running a camp for the next two weeks so would like to interview this week if possible. She sends me an email saying if I would like to interview to call her. So I call and she is like you would like to interview for her? Seriously? Yes!! Why else would I go through so much trouble? So we sent up a tentative interview for wednesday afternoon that may or may not work for her but she should know tomorrow. lol. Talk about wanting to bang my head against the wall. I know that it should give me hesitation to work their but I wold love my own third grade class so I am going to check it out.

27. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2016

28. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2016

29. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 18, 2016

Had one of the strangest interviews of my life today...at several points in the interview the principal mentioned the difficult financial state the school and district is in...

So that was weird.

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2016

I've not been to a faculty meeting without hearing that for the last three years.

31. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2016

32. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 19, 2016

This doesn't surprise me. When I was part of the interview panel at my old school over 10 years ago, the P would tell the interviewees that our district lacks the funds and resources that all of the other districts have. When I myself interviewed for a teaching job at this same district, the interviewers made similar statements about the district's financial status during the interview. They also mentioned that the income of the community is far below the state's average.

33. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

I'm beginning to think you were there today :)

34. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

However, as you guys know, I am going back to school in the fall and the classes are from 4 -9pm so it would be difficult, but not completely impossible.

I was in a similar-sounding program to what you're describing a couple of years ago - a hybrid of online and face-to-face - and in my experience, the professors were very understanding of the fact that most of us were teaching or subbing full-time. I was 20 minutes late to one class pretty much every week because of how late my school ran compared to how early class started and it wasn't an issue. But be sure to let the professor know why you're coming in late and that'll probably be a regular thing, of course.

I think it's pretty common for teachers to work and go to grad school at the same time, especially in NY where the masters is required. I'm about to start doing it again. It might be tougher as a first year teacher, but I think it's doable as long as you don't overload yourself on classes and do a lot of work on the weekends.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  35. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2016

36. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

Well, I know one "strike" against me now...Because of my previous career I'm seen as a flight risk. I subbed last year, but some still worry I'm going to start practicing again.

That's probably the most honest thing I've heard in the process.

Good luck to all of you...I turned in my substitute paperwork today, so it looks like time is running out.

37. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2016

38. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

I have my law license, but I'd much rather teach anything than go back to law (thank deity of choice for saving money). I haven't been an attorney of record since I started the MA program in 2013 (I had some private personal contracts to get me through financially), so I figure I could combat that in an interview...if they'd flat out ask it.

39. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

In California, law licenses are renewed annually. Is that true where you are? How much do you need those occasional contracts to make ends meet? If you could let it lapse, and mention that in your cover letter as part of your commitment to this new career, it might go a long way to making the case that you are planning on staying in this field. No one is going to ask, beyond the "Tell us about yourself." question that most interviews start with. At least, that was my career changer experience.

40. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

Yes it is. I haven't really noticed since it just comes out of my operating account to pay for it. I probably can let it go at this point if it continues to be an issue.