Job Hunt Frustration, Venting & Support Thread!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2016

When I read the articles, I was struck by how many times we have seen posts about how candidates aced the interview, and they can't understand how they didn't get the job. I know that TMI is way too common, not doing due diligence in really knowing the district and their culture, poor word choice giving weak impressions, and I would modify the part about asking questions. Don't have 5 questions for the end, but rather, ask some questions in the dialogue when answering their questions, to make sure you are on the same page. If you are answering a question about being a band teacher, you might come back with a question about what the retention rate is between middle school and high school band populations. Since MS programs are feeder programs for the HS, you better believe they will be impressed that you saw the big picture, and you just gave them information about how savvy you are without having to toot your own horn.

I have never gotten a job where I knew somebody, so I can't share your sentiments, Leaborb192. I certainly have never been related to anyone in the district. I agree that sometimes they just like the other guy more, but I think that many times they like the other guy more because he didn't share TMI, use weak word choice, spend every second on their cell phone while waiting for the interview to start, badmouth former employers or colleagues, and the list can go on and on. I do think that reading body language helps - you can tell when you just lost your audience, but being REALLY prepared, minding some of these suggestions, etc., may help. I wish every applicant was equally prepared, but from some of the things that I have read on these forums, some applicants I have met where I work, I can tell you that a lot of people can use help - some a little more, some are in dire need.

Honestly, I kind of take offense if you truly believe I have gotten my jobs only because of who I know. I think that most of the teachers here would or should feel the same way. I DO believe that interviewing is a skill set to be learned, and that many candidates haven't really acquired those skills yet. It isn't that practice makes perfect - it is that perfect practice makes perfect. Repeating the same mistakes over and over is probably not going to get you where you want to be.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2016

You basically just spent an entire post proclaiming that "if you ask around, more times than not, somebody who got hired knew (or was related to) somebody." To me, that sounds like you are saying that the majority of employees got their job because of who they knew. Why shouldn't that be offensive to the majority of teachers who didn't know a soul but managed to sell their skills and abilities, no secret handshakes required?

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 27, 2016

That's why I always blame myself. I figure I can always do better...

vickilyn likes this.
  6. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 27, 2016

I agree with vickilyn. It is offensive. I didn't know a soul when I got hired for the school I'm in. I don't know a single teacher who got hired because of someone they knew. They got hired because they had a solid resume and did a fabulous interview and demo lesson.

Many candidates think they do a fabulous interview. I can tell you from being on many hiring committees -- very few actual do a fabulous interview. The ones who don't get hired generally either don't have the actual experience we need, or suffer from TMI. TMI will get you every time.

bella84, teacherintexas and vickilyn like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2016

It is a skill set, and most people can learn it if they invest the time. It doesn't make not getting the job a lot easier, but at least you know you can learn from each experience. Don't blame yourself - analyse and fix the weak spots. I wouldn't say this if I didn't believe it with all my heart.

And for that teacher who got the job above, with a family in education, I bet she knows the lingo, talks the talk, and even Leaborb192 goes on to say she is an awesome teacher. Sometimes you are awesome, and therefore a great prospect, because of being immersed in the education culture. Nature or nurture?

ready2learn likes this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2016

But I note a subtle shift in your rhetoric - from "the majority of people got their job because of who they know" to not knowing someone could be one of a million reasons why one person didn't get the job.

Really listen to RainStorm:
    Many candidates think they do a fabulous interview. I can tell you from being on many hiring committees -- very few actually do a fabulous interview. The ones who don't get hired generally either don't have the actual experience we need, or suffer from TMI. TMI will get you every time.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 27, 2016

Just got shot down from the district I subbed in last year, student taught in, and where I coached JV baseball the last two years. I can't feel much worse right now...but there is an off chance of another position opening.

Good luck to you all in the process.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2016

Is it nice to have someone put in a good word for you? Sure.
    Can you improve how you interview? I believe it is highly likely.
    Could it hurt to perfect interview skills? Nope.
    You can't do anything about the first line, but you are in control of the next two.

cmkbearcat48 - so sorry to hear that - truly I am. :hugs:

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016